Players Who Were Mince For Us But Left And Were Good

fatha bacon

Good thread, might steal some of this for the Jagscast tomorrow!

It's very difficult to think of any players who fit this category from the Lambie era. Lambie had the knack of taking pish players, and making them play like internationalists. When they got their move to a "bigger" club with a gash manager, they'd get found out. See Scott McLean.

So I suppose (in my lifetime) you've got to look at the late 90's, and the Whyte/Campbell/McCall era.

Derek Young and Jamie Langfield fit the bill. Stuart Taylor was amazing for Airdrie before he signed for us, was an awful replacement for Hardie, then played well for Hamilton before becoming a coach.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re Arthur Duncan: he was a big favourite of mine in those days, and one of the stand-outs in a pretty good Thistle team which contained McParland, Tommy Gibb and others. He was also a big favourite with most Jags fans then too. I remember being a wee bit hacked off when Hibs snatched him.

Err, excuse me, but the title of the thread is players who were mince for us. Arthur Duncan was excellent.

Issac English. Scored one goal in a whole season for us went to Stenny and scored about 20 the next year.

aye i remember him. didn't like him. i remember on nicky walkers debut against hibs, nicky walker hit a mammoth kick out and john leighton was in goal and he slipped and the ball was goin in but issac english ran in and poached it on the line. nicky walker would have no doubt to have been the only goalie ever (and would probably hold the record til the end of time) to have scored on his debut. does anyone else remeber this? bloody wee snake

aye i remember him. didn't like him. i remember on nicky walkers debut against hibs, nicky walker hit a mammoth kick out and john leighton was in goal and he slipped and the ball was goin in but issac english ran in and poached it on the line. nicky walker would have no doubt to have been the only goalie ever (and would probably hold the record til the end of time) to have scored on his debut. does anyone else remeber this? bloody wee snake

Quite right aswell.

I don't think Nicky's kick would have reached the goal IIRC

IIRC wayne foster scored the other that day, also on his debut from hearts.... christ the days when we could sign recognised players

Mark robertson, towards the end of his thistle career he just looked old and tired and had no real interest in playing anymore, moves 2 ayr and becomes a hero today he was the only ayr man that tried a leg!!!!!!! :lol:

Are you mixing up Mark Roberts and John Robertson?

And if you are referring to Mark Roberts, you need to sit on the naughty step. Mark Roberts mince for Thistle - ffs I don't believe this!!!

Are you mixing up Mark Roberts and John Robertson?

And if you are referring to Mark Roberts, you need to sit on the naughty step. Mark Roberts mince for Thistle - ffs I don't believe this!!!

MARK Robertson, and i said towards the END of his career, he was brilliant until his last season 4 us, scored like 4 in 33 that season!