Derek Young

King Kenny

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be controversial and say that I liked Derek Young when he played for us and wasn't surprised that he went on to sign for Aberdeen again. He's in a strange hinterland between being too good for the current First Division with its manic tempo and not quite good enough for the SPL with its err...manic tempo.

I also liked Bryan Hodge but for the avoidance of doubt, Stuart Taylor and Brian Hamilton were rubbish.

I'll be controversial and say that I liked Derek Young when he played for us and wasn't surprised that he went on to sign for Aberdeen again. He's in a strange hinterland between being too good for the current First Division with its manic tempo and not quite good enough for the SPL with its err...manic tempo.

I also liked Bryan Hodge but for the avoidance of doubt, Stuart Taylor and Brian Hamilton were rubbish.

I don't really see what there was to like about him. He was clearly a much better player than he was ever prepared to be for us. One of those players that because he came down a division he thought he didn't have to do the spadework.

Saw him play for us in a reserve match at McDiarmid. St Johnstone had a strongish side out that day but Young was clearly the best player on the park. The very fact the guy was/is a good footballer but chose too often not to display his talent doesn't make him that likeable in my book.

That said, and I wouldn't read too much into the fact he's training with us, it may be no bad thing to get him on the short term. I get the impression McNamara is very switched on when it comes to fitness and effort. I don't believe Jackie would be easily Barry Smith'd.

I don't really see what there was to like about him. He was clearly a much better player than he was ever prepared to be for us. One of those players that because he came down a division he thought he didn't have to do the spadework.

Saw him play for us in a reserve match at McDiarmid. St Johnstone had a strongish side out that day but Young was clearly the best player on the park. The very fact the guy was/is a good footballer but chose too often not to display his talent doesn't make him that likeable in my book.

That said, and I wouldn't read too much into the fact he's training with us, it may be no bad thing to get him on the short term. I get the impression McNamara is very switched on when it comes to fitness and effort. I don't believe Jackie would be easily Barry Smith'd.

I've read a good few sporting autobiographies over the years (Tony Cascarino's is a belter) and the one message that comes through loud and clear from virtually all of them, is the delicate balance that either motivates or discourages individuals. That can express itself in what appears to be a lack of effort and a poor attitude, just as in other players, fitting in and being coached well, can transform a career (Gary Harkins?). I can't speak for Derek Young, but you could always see that there was a good player in there, just like numerous examples over the last few years and that's what I liked about watching him play.

Is obviously a good player, but didn't show it enough for us. Don't see how we could have the finance to sign him, unless he just wanted some games to put himself in the shop window come January.

If we have no intention of signing him, although admiral that we're helping him get fit, it could be of real benefit to the team who does sign him (likely to be a 1st Div rival).

An absolute non-negotiable pre-requisite for any manager befitting of his job down Firhill Road way.

There have been several players who have trained with us but have not signed for the club. Tam McManus is a recent example although it appears that the club offered him a deal. I doubt that the club could afford to sign another player. It is likely that Young is just keeping fit for trials at other clubs.

I've read a good few sporting autobiographies over the years (Tony Cascarino's is a belter) and the one message that comes through loud and clear from virtually all of them, is the delicate balance that either motivates or discourages individuals. That can express itself in what appears to be a lack of effort and a poor attitude, just as in other players, fitting in and being coached well, can transform a career (Gary Harkins?). I can't speak for Derek Young, but you could always see that there was a good player in there, just like numerous examples over the last few years and that's what I liked about watching him play.

The relationship between the player, his team mates and the management team is always the magic ingredient, isn't it. Managing a football team would be a piece of piss if it wasn't for this.

I'd put that down to the Dick Campbell effect. Didn't he play him at full back on a few occasions?

Reckon he'd be a cracking signing for us if played in a front three.

I thought him, Roberts and Donnelly linked up superbly at times. Clearly a decent player and I'd be prepared to give him a second chance.

Everyone who's first chance was under Dick Campbell deserves a second chance!

The goal at Palmerston when those 3 linked up was tremendous.

I didnt think he was the worst first time round. played about 6 positions under DC,

I would expect nothing to be in it though...probably just training to keep fit

Admin, please shift this to the thread 'Players who were mince for us, were mince when they left and I wshed I'd never see at Firhill again because they'll be mince once more'. Have we REALLY sunk to this?

Q Would you know a football player if he hit right between the eyes?

He left us and had several successful seasons in SPL !!! Do not really remember him having very many bad games for us... tried very hard and scored a few and at the time was playing in a very average team.

Bit like Jamie Langfield.. got dogs abuse for no reason... and went to bigger club and was there number 1 for a good few seasons....

I seriously think some fans have blinkers on and favourites... some players can't do no wrong no matter how crap.... and then others make one mistake and its serial abuse every time they walk on the pitch.

COME ON THE JAGS!!!

I thought him, Roberts and Donnelly linked up superbly at times. Clearly a decent player and I'd be prepared to give him a second chance.

Everyone who's first chance was under Dick Campbell deserves a second chance!

:o Sweet mary and the orphans I very nearly choked on my Fiery Irn Bru reading that statement!!

Campbell had mair duds than the Irish Match testing factory!!

Edited by Chicofan