Just In

clarencegarter

First half...... the less said the better. Could and maybe should have went in 1-0 down when Roberts hit the post but two very poor teams.

Second half... total transformation and got a good early goal. May go down as an own goal and a wee bit of luck on rowsons part but thats what we have been missing this season. The second was a good solid strike on the volley from cairney from outside the area and that goal killed Ayr off. Erskine scored the 3rd after good build up play and a good finish with his right foot. 4th was a penalty and from where I was sitting I would say a soft one but a good finish from Doolan who was poor the whole game.

Pass marks for everyone especially in the second half the only one to dissapoint if I was honest was Doolan who didnt look at the races the whole game. Ref didnt get pass marks but whats new. Turned down a thistle shout for a penalty that looked a good shout and then gave one which appeared soft. Booked Cairney for a challenge where he one the ball and was his first foul of the game. Only booked the Ayr player when it was a clear flying elbow to Doolans head and the ref had a clear view.

Cairney MOM whih was probably right however before hand I was saying it was between him and Hutton whole looked a class above the rest. Sinclair also had a good number of runs and had both the Ayr right mid and right back in his back pocket.

Two injuiries to Archibald and what looked a serious one to Robertson who was stretched off in the first half so will have to wait and see.

The second half performance has made my night and it is one of the best performances i have seen from Thistle in a while so I am now going to think back and enjoy a few beers!!

Plus roberts recieved an excellent reception when subbed so good effort lads!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First half...... the less said the better. Could and maybe should have went in 1-0 down when Roberts hit the post but two very poor teams.

Second half... total transformation and got a good early goal. May go down as an own goal and a wee bit of luck on rowsons part but thats what we have been missing this season. The second was a good solid strike on the volley from cairney from outside the area and that goal killed Ayr off. Erskine scored the 3rd after good build up play and a good finish with his right foot. 4th was a penalty and from where I was sitting I would say a soft one but a good finish from Doolan who was poor the whole game.

Pass marks for everyone especially in the second half the only one to dissapoint if I was honest was Doolan who didnt look at the races the whole game. Ref didnt get pass marks but whats new. Turned down a thistle shout for a penalty that looked a good shout and then gave one which appeared soft. Booked Cairney for a challenge where he one the ball and was his first foul of the game. Only booked the Ayr player when it was a clear flying elbow to Doolans head and the ref had a clear view.

Cairney MOM whih was probably right however before hand I was saying it was between him and Hutton whole looked a class above the rest. Sinclair also had a good number of runs and had both the Ayr right mid and right back in his back pocket.

Two injuiries to Archibald and what looked a serious one to Robertson who was stretched off in the first half so will have to wait and see.

The second half performance has made my night and it is one of the best performances i have seen from Thistle in a while so I am now going to think back and enjoy a few beers!!

:D :D :D :D

Was that disappointed at half time, and with QoS 4-0 up, that I decided to head out in the Tirana sun and read my book with a couple of beers and leave it in the hands of the Lord.

What a delightful response from the Lord and the Jags.

Really and truly, we have every chance this season. It's up to us.

Great result; referee was awful (again)... felt we played really well overall - Cairney & Rowson seem to have more freedom with Hutton doing most of the sitting. Sinclair was immense (as ever) - saw Billy Davies watching the game from behind the kids section - just hope he wasn't scouting for anyone!

O'Donnell did well when he came on, but Balatoni was poor - boys a bomb scare - needs to start doing the basics and getting them right, rather than others around him digging him out if trouble all the time. Hope Scott Robertson is ok, but it looked like his knee went

Edited by davemains

Agree with just about all of that! I have to say that was about the worst I have ever seen Kris Doolan play, I have no idea what was wrong with him today but virtually nothing was going right for him. That said it was his reverse pass that set up the first goal. Hopefully his penalty goal right at the end will boost his confidence as he is a vital player for us!

Thought Rowson, Cairney, Sinclair Hutton and Erskine were superb today. Ref, as always seems to be the case, was shocking.

Pleased to see Mark Roberts getting a warm round of applause from the Thistle fans, he obviously appreciated it as well as he turned around to applaud the Thistle fans back.

And to round it all off we got our first clean sheet of the season. All in all a good day to be a Jag :cheers:

Edited by Camallain

First half was a lot of rushing about and pretty scrappy. No big chances except Marko's header off the post.

Second half we switched Cairney and Erskine on the wings, pushing the latter up a bit and we just cut them open time and time again. First goal was an OG as Rowson's shot was going wide. Second goal from Cairney was a great rebound shot after Elliot's placed shot was partly cleared. Erskine's goal was a culmination of great team play and a very cool finish and the penalty, whilst a little soft, was well taken to round up the 4-0 victory. Good to see a confident take by Doolan.

Referee had a reasonable game, but should have sent off one of the Ayr players he booked for a heavy elbow in on Doolan in the second half.

Fox (the goalie, not the streaker) had a solid game with little to do. Paton was probably the poorest Thistle player from the starting 11 but okay. Sinclair was really up for it today, perhaps better going forward than in defence but solid at both. Archie was fine at the back, and after Robertson went off injured I thought Balatoni got better as the game went on from a bit shaky. When O'Donnell came on for Archie he looked VERY comfortable at right-centre-back but by then Ayr had basically given up.

Hutton was really good in the middle, doing a lot of donkey work and fanning out some great passes, doing all the basics right. Certainly no loan prima donna. He left Rowson with relatively little to do all game, who was also solid. Cairney had a great game and really seemed up for it. Total contrast with last season and very welcome. Keep it up wee man. Erskine really came onto a game in the second half when we pushed him up a bit and took his goal well. Doolan was a little quiet today but nothing "wrong" with his game generally. Elliot caused them lots of problems with his pace and application and he looks very comfortable at this level. Unlucky not to score before Cairney got the rebound in. Flannigan was fine when he came on as well.

2 points separate 2nd top and 2nd bottom after 6 games. This is a tight league but we're really looking settled now. Time to press on and really make this form count.

Chalk and cheese performance, but we played really well in the 2nd half. Was well impressed with Kyle Hutton and he could be a big loss when he goes back to Greyskull. Dont know the rules but can we get him on another loan in January...if so we actually might not be too far away this season as I reckon this is gonna be the tightest Div 1 table for years

• Members

Hutton really does look the part. Big strong and does the simple things that make the game look easy. The sign of a classy player, always looks as if he's got lots of time and never mises with his passing. Potential to be the best loan player I've seen at Firhill since Peter Lindau.

I'd love to believe Ayr were combative in the 2nd half but I've rarely seen a team so easily pushed off a ball. Either that or Rowson, Cairney & Sinclair are extremely dangerous bullies.

Anyway that's two weeks in a row where we've improved our game as the match progresses finishing up looking by far the stronger team. The addition of Hutton has really helped Cairney & Rowson push on. I'm not a big fan of statistics but I'd love to know what Hutton's passing success rate over the two games he's played has been. He's rarely misplaced a pass.

Also didn't feel Balatoni deserved the bombscare tag today. He might have been a bit shaky early on but I thought as the game went on he was as good as any defender. Oh and Rowson's contribution to the lead up to the third goal was excellent :thumbsup2: .

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Tremendous second half.

Hutton is different class, he let our other players do more by just being constantly excellent, what a signing, credit to the manager.

Great ovation for Roberts today.

Even though it was 0-0 didnt think the first half was that bad at least both teams were having a go if truth be told we ere probably lucky to go in level Roberts really should have scored with the header that smacked the post. 2nd half we were terrific and ayr were mince. Got very lucky at first goal as rowsons effort looked to going wide big well done to Doolan for his part in the goal. Was really pleased to see us pressing Ayr so high up the park and on more than a few occasions we won the ball and threatened their goal from it. Cairneys goal was a crackin hit and the 3rd goal was well worked. I agree with others that the penalty was of the soft variety. Shouldnt and wont nit pick after a 4-0 victory but special mention to Cairney Sinclair and Hutton today. Hope Robertsons injury isnt bad.

Mon the Jags!

We decided we couldn't be arsed cause it's been shit recently and it was chucking it down when we went to leave, 3 os uf have season tickets and couldn't be bothered. Only action we saw was a lot of idiots in Clone Island gear scrapping. Wish I'd gone to the game now!

That'll teach you :P

One for the general forum thread on sods law, the day you decide you don't think you can take any more and you miss a game, we win. Conversely, if you struggle badly with the decision and in the end convince yourself to go it's shite.

Second half we switched Cairney and Erskine on the wings, pushing the latter up a bit and we just cut them open time and time again.

Good indication of JMcN's skills as a tactician AND a strategist - IMO.

Also, perhaps controversially, Hutton made a few Shagmeister-esque touches, both in that holding midfielder role, always looking for the ball, and coming forward to have a go.

Good Times!

Excellent 2nd half performance.

Cairney, Rowser and Sinclair were the stand outs for me, though I believe Hutton is a big factor in allowing Cairney and Rowser to get forward more, while he covers behind. Erskine looked lively too, carrying on from his performance of last week.

Ayr were poor, and look the most likely to be propping up the league at the end of the season. I think the next couple of games will provide a good pointer on how the season may pan out for us.

Only down side to the day was the injury to Robertson, hand up straight away was the sign it was a bad one.

Agree with previous posters, good to see Roberts getting an ovation on his substitution, though was glad to see his effort coming off the post in the first half.

I thought that at times in the 2nd half we played some fantastic football and retained the ball well.

Stand outs for me were Hutton and Cairney.

Special mention also to Sinclair - really good going forward and loved the nutmegging of the Ayr players.

Without doubt, the best Thistle performance for a good while.

Reminded me of a game in the Lambie era (Arbroath I think) when we were guff in 1st half, went in goal-less at half time and came out well up for it and scored 4 in second half.

Well done lads - same again next week please!

Overall, it was a pretty enjoyable match.

I don't think we actually played that badly in the first half - we just tried to flick the ball on to players who weren't expecting it, tried one-twos again to players who weren't making the runs, and generally just trying to be too fancy. In the first half nobody wanted to shoot unless they had a clear sight of goal with only the keeper to beat (except sinclair who nearly scored from the by-line!).

Second half, everything seemed to click and we actually tried shooting. TBH Ayr probably gave up after 2-0 but we didn't take the foot off the gas - we've now got the second best goal difference in the league! So good to see Cairney score - he was great today and deserved the goal.

Referee was pish - if we got 45mins in the first half it must have been tight, and there was certainly no extra time played for the 4/5 mins it took to get Robertson off the park. I don't entirely blame the Ref though - they really do need more help from their assistants. I think sometimes the assistants think they are there to look for offside and nothing else - they never seem to get involved in anything else. Doolan got clearly elbowed to the head - the big clumsy no.5 lead with his elbow and it was easily a red. The assistant must have seen it as well as the ref, but he only got a yellow.

ANYWAY, it's anybodys league. Let's hope we can string a couple of results together and keep climbing.

being a nomad i get few chances to see the team so today was the first time in a while.we have added a bit of stature to our team,we look like we could do something,think sinclair could be very good given time,david rowson continues to be the hardest working/best player at the club.kyle hutton looks good and when match fit,will improve.Got a bit of concern that the defence doesnt dominate in the air,they are big lads ,they should dominate everything.

as for the referee,bit of a joke,not helped by two linesmen who were incapable of doing anthing but mimicing the referee.heres to a really good season,best of luck to all at firhill.

We decided we couldn't be arsed cause it's been shit recently and it was chucking it down when we went to leave, 3 os uf have season tickets and couldn't be bothered. Only action we saw was a lot of idiots in Clone Island gear scrapping. Wish I'd gone to the game now!

Just goes to show that season ticket holders really are the best fans.

Great result; referee was awful (again)... felt we played really well overall - Cairney & Rowson seem to have more freedom with Hutton doing most of the sitting. Sinclair was immense (as ever) - saw Billy Davies watching the game from behind the kids section - just hope he wasn't scouting for anyone!

O'Donnell did well when he came on, but Balatoni was poor - boys a bomb scare - needs to start doing the basics and getting them right, rather than others around him digging him out if trouble all the time. Hope Scott Robertson is ok, but it looked like his knee went

He was there with his assistant David Kelly. I presumed that he was trying to pick up some tips he could take into his wee meetings that they have as he builds his strategy for his next managerial job...

Billy's Command Centre..

Either that or he's just got plenty of time on his hands since TS hit the clink..