1971 - What A Sensation!

Col

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, probably mid-30s I reckon. I think he was assigned some sort of role under Symon before taking over; maybe the youth set-up, reserves or something similar. That would help to explain how he came by so many good young players who just seemed to 'emerge' following the highly forgettable 69-70 campaign.

When Symon was the manager who was his assistant/coach? Never gave it much thought at the time but Scott S was at no time in his career a hands on manager.

Rough's first game was v. Morton the midweek after the 0-0 draw with St Mirren - we lost 2-1.

Thanks for that, although I'm sure the home game against St Mirren was the last game of the season, and that we scored in it. I say that because, IIRC, we weren't technically relegated until after the final league game; we had to win something like 18-0 and the team above had to lose by 9 or whatever. And I remember us scoring and this naive wee 12 year old shouting: "come on Thistle, we can do this." Crazy but true, if my memory's not playing tricks again.

Im sure Mcparland was the Assistant /Coach to Scoot Symon

:thumbsup2: If I ever knew that then I must have forgotten. Makes sense as I say Symon was never a coach, a very old school manager. There you go, learning something new every day. Just watching the news yesterday I learnt that it's extremely unlikely that Wayne Rooney was adopted.

Yes, probably mid-30s I reckon. I think he was assigned some sort of role under Symon before taking over; maybe the youth set-up, reserves or something similar. That would help to explain how he came by so many good young players who just seemed to 'emerge' following the highly forgettable 69-70 campaign.

As an aside, I think Roughie featured for the first time in the league against St Mirren(?) in the last game, at home, of the 69-70 season. I had seen Roughie play for Scotland under 18s earlier that year against Holland at Hunbrox.

I was at that game!!!! The Scotland game.

Edited by crazy davie

Thanks for that, although I'm sure the home game against St Mirren was the last game of the season, and that we scored in it. I say that because, IIRC, we weren't technically relegated until after the final league game; we had to win something like 18-0 and the team above had to lose by 9 or whatever. And I remember us scoring and this naive wee 12 year old shouting: "come on Thistle, we can do this." Crazy but true, if my memory's not playing tricks again.

I was 10 and went to both the St. Mirren and Morton games - as I recall it all seemed a bit hopeless by that time - indeed I remember the announcer at the Morton game ("Campbell with the teams" as Dannie Hattie used to say?) said something along the lines of - next season we will fight our way back etc - usual platitudes but ultimately correct!! Denis made his debut against Morton as well. Aged 10 I wasn't too aware of the consequences of relegation in fact I really enjoyed the 2nd division - but I was young and perhaps not properly aware of the concepts of success and failure or expectation and reality. Still it made the next season all the sweeter. :)

Im sure Mcparland was the Assistant /Coach to Scoot Symon

To quote the Legends book:

"After gaining his SFA Coaching Certificates he (McParland) combined playing with his duties firstly as a coach and then assistant manager to Scott Symon. He was handed the special responsibility for the youth policy at Firhill when he and then chief scout Jimmy Dickie formed Partick Thistle Amateurs which would produce a whole host of talented young player."

To quote the Legends book:

"After gaining his SFA Coaching Certificates he (McParland) combined playing with his duties firstly as a coach and then assistant manager to Scott Symon. He was handed the special responsibility for the youth policy at Firhill when he and then chief scout Jimmy Dickie formed Partick Thistle Amateurs which would produce a whole host of talented young player."

thanks tom btw "Scoot Symon" sounds like an NFL Coach :lol:

I've got a ticket for this and was thinking of taking my 4 year old who i take to firhill with me. I was wondering if anyone knows if there's going to be much for the kids to do? I would like to take her along with me but if shes bored it will be a nightmare!!

While we're at it, I take it dress is casual, red'n'yella galore. The Blackpool Jagsess keeps asking, while I wait to hear saying "I've got nothing to wear". I've got a shed full of old Thistle tops which would suit her very nicely. :) That is to say she can choose one.

Can I recommend Mrs Blackpool Jag wears a Red & Yellow Bonnet -with message of your choosing but taking into account the entry requirements for Heaven when she passes on ,apart from that its a strict dress code ,No Red & Yellow -No Entry :thumbsup2:

Thistle Tops are optional

I've got a ticket for this and was thinking of taking my 4 year old who i take to firhill with me. I was wondering if anyone knows if there's going to be much for the kids to do? I would like to take her along with me but if shes bored it will be a nightmare!!

Kids will get Free Flag /rattle thingy to wave and make a noise -looking into "other" entertianment" forms -will update asap.

Can I recommend Mrs Blackpool Jag wears a Red & Yellow Bonnet -with message of your choosing but taking into account the entry requirements for Heaven when she passes on ,apart from that its a strict dress code ,No Red & Yellow -No Entry :thumbsup2:

Thistle Tops are optional

Cheers, Jim. See you all on Saturday - twice, hopefully.

Edited to add: I've only got a T shirt with FTOF on it, but modifications can be arranged. :thumbsup2:

Edited by Blackpool Jags

There's nothing in any of the flyers for this event to indicate that there will be no food available.

I would think that many if not most people turning up for an event on Saturday evening at 7.30 pm would expecting some kind of food options. I have no complaint about there not being any, but I'm mightily relieved to have discovered this well-kept secret!

If the club/organizers want to avoid bad feedback about this then they should make it perfectly clear right away, and repeat the message so that it gets through: WHAT A SENSATION: NAE GRUB.

There's nothing in any of the flyers for this event to indicate that there will be no food available.

I would think that many if not most people turning up for an event on Saturday evening at 7.30 pm would expecting some kind of food options. I have no complaint about there not being any, but I'm mightily relieved to have discovered this well-kept secret!

If the club/organizers want to avoid bad feedback about this then they should make it perfectly clear right away, and repeat the message so that it gets through: WHAT A SENSATION: NAE GRUB.

When we started the PR we were still in discussions ref food -a)it was expensive and b)we had to commit so all the risk was with PTFC -so a decision was taken not to run with this option.

point taken on communications we will put something out ,it was on oversight on my part-apologies :D

In fairness though, when do you see an event flyer advertising the things that WON'T be available?

There will be no fire-eaters or dwarf-throwing competitions but I don't expect to be told that in the promotions.

In fairness though, when do you see an event flyer advertising the things that WON'T be available?

There will be no fire-eaters or dwarf-throwing competitions but I don't expect to be told that in the promotions.

I don't think anybody would have expected those, exciting as they might be. I do think that many if not most people would like to know beforehand that there will be no food available at a social function that starts at 7.30 pm and (presumably) goes on all evening.