1971 - What A Sensation!

Col

• Administrators

On October 23rd 1971, eleven men in the colours of Partick Thistle produced arguably the greatest ever shock result in the history of Scottish Football. A result that prompted legendary Scottish football commentator, Arthur Montford to famously declare; “What a Sensation, it’s 4-0 Thistle”.

In the 1971 League Cup Final at Hampden Park a predominately young, universally exciting Partick Thistle side humbled Jock Stein’s previously all-conquering Celtic team by four goals to one.

On Saturday October 22nd 2011, almost exactly 40 years to the day of Thistle’s greatest ever triumph, the venue is once again Hampden Park for a celebration of that truly sensational result.

This though will be no staid look back at one of the Club’s yesterdays. Rather it will be a celebration in true sense of the word, and not just of that famous result, but a celebration of Partick Thistle Football Club in general as well. A night for all Thistle fans; young and old to enjoy. All kids that attend the event will be given something to help them celebrate each of the four goals with.

This will be a night of colour (red and yellow obviously), music, laughter and, of course, football. So dig out your scarfs, flags and banners so clear your throats, the bars which will be open should help with that, and get ready to raise the roof in celebration of Partick Thistle. This is the only party in town – make sure you don’t miss it.

Included in ‘1971 – What a Sensation’, will be:

• Music from Neil Sturgeon (The man who wrote and sung ‘Follow Thistle’)
  • Songs from the Shed Boys.
  • Entertainment from a top class comedian.
  • Jags videos from Colin Scott where Thistle always win.
  • Unique interviews from 1971.
  • Presentation of the 1971 League Cup winning team complete with the League Cup itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdtqsLQxB0I

Click on the link for the Official What a Sensation Video http://www.ptfc.co.uk/fans/1971'>http://www.ptfc.co.uk/fans/1971

Also attached is the official ‘What a Sensation’ poster.

Tickets for this unique, not to be missed event, are limited in number to 450 and are priced as follows:

Adults: £15

Children: £5

There will also be an opportunity to purchase a reproduction of the actual match programme from the game.

Tickets can be purchased via:

1. Paypal (to [email protected] with name and address in details section) Click the link and follow http://www.ptfc.co.uk/fans/1971
  2. Telephone at 0871 402 1971; Or
  3. by completing the attached booking form

poster_a4.pdf

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brilliant. Just bought my ticket.

Edited to add, sadly my 1972 scarf will not be joining me. I left it on the Citylink back to Edinburgh after one of the postponed Falkirk games last year. Lost property didn't get it handed in, so a Celtic fan must have found it :)

Edited by honved

Looks like a great night.

Quick question, why is it not advertised on the front page of the official site? It currently resides, hidden away, in the 'fans' section where few people will see it unless directed by a link.

Grant,

It was "hidden" there so we could link the mailshot without people see-ing it prior to the launch ,it will be brought onto the front page News within the next 24 Hours.

Jim

It all very hitech and being honest I dont really have a Scooby how it all works :thinking::lol:

Grant,

It was "hidden" there so we could link the mailshot without people see-ing it prior to the launch ,it will be brought onto the front page News within the next 24 Hours.

Jim

It all very hitech and being honest I dont really have a Scooby how it all works :thinking::lol:

Cheers Jim :thumbsup2:

How many tickets will be on sale? What I mean is what's the sell-out point? I fully expect to be there, but I won't know for certain for a week or so yet - work/family related. Obviously, if we're getting close to selling out, I'll buy a couple of tickets just to be sure of getting in. If we don't sell out completely will it be pay in on the night? That question is for the benefit of one or two maybes I know of. Cheers.

How many tickets will be on sale? What I mean is what's the sell-out point? I fully expect to be there, but I won't know for certain for a week or so yet - work/family related. Obviously, if we're getting close to selling out, I'll buy a couple of tickets just to be sure of getting in. If we don't sell out completely will it be pay in on the night? That question is for the benefit of one or two maybes I know of. Cheers.

Limited to 450 folk.