Friday Night Football!

GOVAN JAG

That was AMAZING tonight. What a success having it on a friday proved to be. Bigger crowd than normal, alot better atmosphere than normal....and...alot better performance on the park.

Ferking LOVED IT!!

Roll on the next friday game at Firhill!!!

If Morton Wasnt Top And It Was A Thistle Vs Ayr Or Ross County Or Even Dundee It Would Have Never Been As Good As It Was Today. Fridays Night Football Isnt What I Want But Wouldnt Mind If It Was Like Once A Month If The Grounds Are Close, But Everyone Is Saying What A Sucsess It Is But In With A Different Team Its Would Have Felt Shit Tbh (My Opinion) #5nil #PartickThistle

I'm not convinced that the crowd wouldn't have been larger if it had been played today.

Also, it had been a decent day weather-wise and was a warm evening. Would as many have turned out in freezing rain?

We were going home happy. Would we be so ready to turn out again at that time on a Friday night if we hadn't just watched our team thrash the league leaders?

Just because we had a great night the jury's still out. Personally, I still don't like Friday night football.I missed the half time scores and coming home to see what the league table looked like. :thumbdown: All games should be played at the same time on a Saturday. It's just the way of the world. :mad2:

Being a traditionalist, I'm still not convinced by Friday night football. But if it leads to some much needed extra revenue then it can only be a good thing.

A friend of mine saw two Celtic fans there last night who came along as they wanted to watch a game of football on a Friday night, and then go to the pub, rather than just sitting in the boozer all night. I'm fairly certain there were others of a similar ilk. That's gate money we would not have had on a Saturday.

But the arguments about weather influencing some peoples decision to stay away from the game - surely that same argument can be used for a Saturday game as well and not just a Friday?

As an experiment, I think it worked well. Good crowd size, great atmosphere. And as a bonus, we won!

Being a traditionalist, I'm still not convinced by Friday night football. But if it leads to some much needed extra revenue then it can only be a good thing.

A friend of mine saw two Celtic fans there last night who came along as they wanted to watch a game of football on a Friday night, and then go to the pub, rather than just sitting in the boozer all night. I'm fairly certain there were others of a similar ilk. That's gate money we would not have had on a Saturday.

But the arguments about weather influencing some peoples decision to stay away from the game - surely that same argument can be used for a Saturday game as well and not just a Friday?

As an experiment, I think it worked well. Good crowd size, great atmosphere. And as a bonus, we won!

Yep, met a guy on the train to Alloa who said he'd just gone along with a mate.

I'd be all for repeating the experience with a "local" rival, even away from home.

Best time I've had at Firhill for quite a while, crowd was right behind the team (drink fuelled or whatever... it helped). Overall a great team performance though not perfect - and I feel ashamed saying that as I still think we give away too many easy headed opportunities. For the first time in ages there was a buzz about the place and the team on the pitch seemed to stick to their game plan. we are delight to watch when attacking at pace and we have the players to do that now; so well done to the management team.

For me Friday football was a success but I take the point that not all teams would bring the travelling support that Morton did and, in truth, I'm struggling to name another. For example, I can't imagine relatively near neighbours Hamilton bringing as many fans along. Out of interest what was the crowd?

But pick the games correct and should the opposition agree, then why not play the odd game on a Friday. The curry venture also seems to have been reasonably well received so, again, potentially a money spinner; so again, well done (we missed the boat but I think I still prefer a pre-match visit to the boozer).

Have to say after last night, I'm one happy Jags fan. Another quick point is that the Morton fans seemed to take their doing in good spirits, there were a few of them in the Star and Garter after the game and there was a good atmosphere in the pub.

Last night was brilliant. Fans got right behind the team from start to finish and they produced a great result and a great performance. If Friday football is introduced in the long term I doubt it will be an 'every week every fixture' type thing, the idea is to attract some sort of TV deal for SFL (maybe just SFL 1). If it can bring in extra revenue for Clubs, while at the same time not impacting negatively on attendances, then bring it on. A couple of Friday night games a season would be great (like EVERY Thistle v Morton game whether at Firhill or Cappilow).

Crowd was 3380 MJ.

My argument about the weather was addressing some comments from folk around me last night who were saying that the weather may have kept people away. I think the rain came on too late to make a big difference last night. In some way the rain last night helped the atmosphere. No-one was sitting in the first ten or so rows so that meant from about row L or so back the seats were filled up a bit more.

It may well be a good thing to have a couple of well-picked Friday games in a season but knowing the football authorities, our next one will be away to Ross County. :thinking:

Can't believe people are still trying to argue the case against Friday night football after this weekend.

These people are just making an ar*e of themselves now.

There WAS a bigger crowd, and it WAS a cracking game.

So, Friday night football WILL happen again so GET USED TO IT.

Can't believe people are still trying to argue the case against Friday night football after this weekend.

These people are just making an ar*e of themselves now.

There WAS a bigger crowd, and it WAS a cracking game.

So, Friday night football WILL happen again so GET USED TO IT.

Ian, why can't you see the other side? I'm a season ticket holder who wouldn't buy a season ticket if Friday night football was going to be a regular occurrence and I'd suggest I'm far from alone. How many folk who went on Friday night that wouldn't/couldn't go on a Saturday would think of buying a season ticket? Besides I'd argue in any case that a similar sized crowd would be anticipated had the game gone ahead on the Saturday but that's a different matter.

But let's forget about the plus or minuses of this token gesture for change from the SPL/SFL. Assume firstly that the sale of season tickets is of prime importance to the Club. If that's the case then surely sales of ST tickets will be higher if, more or less, the day and time of a fixture can be guaranteed?

I feel it's appropriate to declare that the onset of Friday night football altho' would only be a minor inconvenience to myself (enough to stop me buying a season ticket but little more) would have been a complete no no a few years back when my children were younger. I can't believe other family people wouldn't be in the same boat.

Of course my argument against Friday night football is lost if it can be proved that there's more people willing and able to attend than on a Saturday and youngsters (the life blood of our support) will be as numerous.

After the success of Friday night, the Club could do themselves a lot of good and ask those season ticket holders that couldn't make it, if they want to take up a refund for the voucher for that game.

If not a refund, some other sort of gesture, like a complimentary catering voucher or something like that. The numbers would be very small, so worth it purely from a buttering-up perspective.

After the success of Friday night, the Club could do themselves a lot of good and ask those season ticket holders that couldn't make it, if they want to take up a refund for the voucher for that game.

WJ - just picked your post as one of many, not specifically getting at you (or anyone really!).

Is the main reason for being a season ticket holder at Firhill these days, the fact that it provides value for money over paying at the gate? There must surely be more to it, as when I buy mine I don't know how holidays/events/family/weather(i.e weekend games rearranged to midweek) are going to impact on the amount of games i'm going to be able to attend.

WJ - just picked your post as one of many, not specifically getting at you (or anyone really!).

Is the main reason for being a season ticket holder at Firhill these days, the fact that it provides value for money over paying at the gate? There must surely be more to it, as when I buy mine I don't know how holidays/events/family/weather(i.e weekend games rearranged to midweek) are going to impact on the amount of games i'm going to be able to attend.

As far as I can see the only substantive benefit in buying a season ticket is that you get an allocated seat and the power to throw your weight around if someone else has planked their carcass on it.

Financially, there's only one or two "free" games and it's almost certain, in my case anyway, that I'll miss enough games for other reasons during the season as to counter that.

Any other reason for buying a season ticket (e.g. supporting the club by getting the money in early) are more subjective.

I was one who expected the crowd to be poor on Friday night and was taken aback by the attendance. I nearly ended up not going - standing at Watt Brothers waiting for a bus in the downpour I was that close to heading home. Glad I didn't but I can't believe there weren't others who would have stayed at home given the weather.

Agree that the teams involved need to be judiciously selected and that there are other perspectives, but Friday's experiment can't be seen as other than a resounding success.

Ian, why can't you see the other side? I'm a season ticket holder who wouldn't buy a season ticket if Friday night football was going to be a regular occurrence and I'd suggest I'm far from alone. How many folk who went on Friday night that wouldn't/couldn't go on a Saturday would think of buying a season ticket? Besides I'd argue in any case that a similar sized crowd would be anticipated had the game gone ahead on the Saturday but that's a different matter.

But let's forget about the plus or minuses of this token gesture for change from the SPL/SFL. Assume firstly that the sale of season tickets is of prime importance to the Club. If that's the case then surely sales of ST tickets will be higher if, more or less, the day and time of a fixture can be guaranteed?

I feel it's appropriate to declare that the onset of Friday night football altho' would only be a minor inconvenience to myself (enough to stop me buying a season ticket but little more) would have been a complete no no a few years back when my children were younger. I can't believe other family people wouldn't be in the same boat.

Of course my argument against Friday night football is lost if it can be proved that there's more people willing and able to attend than on a Saturday and youngsters (the life blood of our support) will be as numerous.

I did see the other side and I said previously that the Friday night fixtures should have been announced in June when the fixtures came out. I have sympathy for the season ticket holders who couldn't make it on Friday.

However, you have to look at the bigger picture here and anything new and different the authorities are willing to try out must be a good thing. Friday night games would have happened long before now had it not been for the police objections. Kilmarnock and Motherwell will tell you this.

I brought 2 neutrals along on Friday and they would definitely not have been there on a Saturday

I did see the other side and I said previously that the Friday night fixtures should have been announced in June when the fixtures came out. I have sympathy for the season ticket holders who couldn't make it on Friday.

However, you have to look at the bigger picture here and anything new and different the authorities are willing to try out must be a good thing. Friday night games would have happened long before now had it not been for the police objections. Kilmarnock and Motherwell will tell you this.

I brought 2 neutrals along on Friday and they would definitely not have been there on a Saturday

Well you get to my age and you're wary of any change :) .

To tell the truth I'm more upset that the little snug has disappeared in the S & G. :(

:D

To tell the truth I'm more upset that the little snug has disappeared in the S & G. :(

Tell me about it!

And on a similar note.... My Fav S&G story...

Young lad : Excuse me, do you have WiFI in here

Michael: Na son, we got rid of that years ago.... We've got a jukebox tho

:lol:

Edited by potty trained

I asked him about that, he said no one ever used it, which was fair enough.

Tell me about it!

And on a similar note.... My Fav S&G story...

Young lad : Excuse me, do you have WiFI in here

Michael: Na son, we got rid of that years ago.... We've got a jukebox tho

:lol:

That was hillarious, Michael thought the boy was asking if they had a HIFI !