Keeper For Saturday

partick monkey

60 members have voted

1. 1. Who'd should wear the number 1 against Dross County?

• Scully
    • Fox

I wisnae at the Dundee game but by all accounts it was Scully's performance that won us the 3 points. Now, I have no doubt that Ryan is one of the brightest prospects we have at the club but personally I still choose a fit Fox over Ryan for Saturdays game. It's a very important game that, if we win, would propel us forward as serious contenders this season. For that reason I'd rather have the more experienced Fox between the sticks.

IMO but. What d'you reckon?

Fox. Scully's performance on Saturday was 1st class, but somebody yesterday persuaded me that the youngster should be well pleased with himself and be satisfied knowing that the manager now will have no hesitation in bringing him in when required, and maybe even to take over if/when Fox loses form.

Fox is currently our No. 1 and missed out through his brush with illness on Saturday. He should be back for the next big game.

I would go with Scully. He was immense on Saturday and for me it would be too harsh to drop him. I also think it would send out the wrong message to Fox meaning - "It doesn't matter that you've been gash for weeks, if you're available, you'll play".

I think it would allow Scully to gain some more confidence and valuable first team experience whilst also giving Fox a much needed kick up the arse. You can't under estimate the importance of healthy competition between two keepers.

If one of our peripheral youngsters was drafted in to play up front at Dens and played a blinder and won us the game with a goal we would expect him to retain his place the following week. Same thing with the keepers for me, Scully in.

I see where you're coming from, but that didn't really happen with Fraser or Campbell, both of whom did the business for us on more than one occasion last season.

I would go with Scully. He was immense on Saturday and for me it would be too harsh to drop him. I also think it would send out the wrong message to Fox meaning - "It doesn't matter that you've been gash for weeks, if you're available, you'll play".

I think it would allow Scully to gain some more confidence and valuable first team experience whilst also giving Fox a much needed kick up the arse. You can't under estimate the importance of healthy competition between two keepers.

That's got me almost changing my mind again.

There should be an option: "Don't know; depends on what post I've read most recently"!

Scully has the jersey and it's up to Fox to work hard to get it back imo.

Reminds me a bit of 91/92 premotion season where Nelson replaced Andy Murdoch and the team and him went on a great run, with plenty of shout outs.

This was despite similar reservations as Craig's first game was a 3-3 draw with Brechin City the season before.

theres no question here ryan starts.

Fox has had a stinker of a start to the season and if we had a proven number 2 he would have been dropped, scully comes in plays a blinder and keeps a clean sheet something fox has had problems doing.

I always said that fox was outstanding last season because he came in and had to prove himself to take the gloves from halliwell, until further notice Ryan Scully remains the thistle number 1.

theres no question here ryan starts.

Fox has had a stinker of a start to the season and if we had a proven number 2 he would have been dropped, scully comes in plays a blinder and keeps a clean sheet something fox has had problems doing.

I always said that fox was outstanding last season because he came in and had to prove himself to take the gloves from halliwell, until further notice Ryan Scully remains the thistle number 1.

if fox is fit jaggy mac will play him

as for fox taking the gloves off halliwell fox didnt have to halliwell kept dropping the b***** things :rolleyes:

Fox lost his place through illness, there was no indication that he was going to be dropped. He is still our best keeper and still, in my view, one of the best in the league. We're playing the league leaders and should go with our strongest side. For me Fox starts. I like the view that Scully gets the jersey for the cup tie. That would be a good idea.

Regardless who does play, I hope they have nothing to do and we win convincingly. If that is not to be, then I hope they have a blinder and we still win.

I like the view that Scully gets the jersey for the cup tie. That would be a good idea.

The cup tie, in a sense, is more important than the league game. Also, it seems to be the case that some of us are going down the 'we only have to turn up to win' route with regards to the cup. That's massively disrespectful to our opponents. Some would say it casts some sections of our support in a bad light.

As per pretty much everyone, I'm in two minds over this.

If I was McNamara I would probably start Fox but tell Scully he can play the game against Spartans/Culter and maybe a less important game.

Jeez, they'll have to start widening the doors at Firhill to get his heid through. :P

The cup tie, in a sense, is more important than the league game. Also, it seems to be the case that some of us are going down the 'we only have to turn up to win' route with regards to the cup. That's massively disrespectful to our opponents. Some would say it casts some sections of our support in a bad light.

You a relation of "The Incredible Adam Spark" by any chance ?

I haven't made one comment as to how I think the cup game will turn out. I like the idea of Scully playing in the game. Just for clarity...I also like the idea of Christie, Archibald, O'Donnell, Erskine, Paton, Sinclair, Rowson and Cairney playing. Feel a couple of positions are up for grabs and with 2 of the squad currently on loan, there is a chance their parent clubs won't allow them to play. Is that being disrespectful ?

I haven't made one comment as to how I think the cup game will turn out.

I didn't say you had, I just thought you'd picked up a line and ran with it. My stance is that I don't believe the Scottish Cup is the place for experimentation. Play your strongest team - that means starting with Fox in goal if he's the current number one - and try and progress to the next round with the minimum of fuss.

There's also the possibility that Fox hasn't fully recovered from his illness. Perhaps he hasn't put in a full week's training :unsure: . If Fox was an outfield player he would probably start on the bench in any case. So if Scully does start I wouldn't read that much into it.

I doubt very much tho' that Fox providing he is fully fit will be dropped. I do tho' think that if he continues making too frequent errors or looks too shaky then Jackie/Hinchy will have no second thoughts replacing him with Scully. Guessing that prior to Scully getting chucked in the deep end and proving himself more than capable there would be greater reservation about dropping Fox.

Anyway I never knew so many Jags fans were that expert on Fox droppings.

I didn't say you had, I just thought you'd picked up a line and ran with it. My stance is that I don't believe the Scottish Cup is the place for experimentation. Play your strongest team - that means starting with Fox in goal if he's the current number one - and try and progress to the next round with the minimum of fuss.

Nope, I don't do drugs !

There's also the possibility that Fox hasn't fully recovered from his illness. Perhaps he hasn't put in a full week's training :unsure: . If Fox was an outfield player he would probably start on the bench in any case. So if Scully does start I wouldn't read that much into it.

I doubt very much tho' that Fox providing he is fully fit will be dropped. I do tho' think that if he continues making too frequent errors or looks too shaky then Jackie/Hinchy will have no second thoughts replacing him with Scully. Guessing that prior to Scully getting chucked in the deep end and proving himself more than capable there would be greater reservation about dropping Fox.

Anyway I never knew so many Jags fans were that expert on Fox droppings.

Your just talking crap now !