Favourite Run Of The Mill Games

Tom Stronach

What random, run of the mill games hold the best memories for you? You know, games that arn't often talked about anymore, games that had no real significance in terms of relegation, promotion or progression in a cup competition.

For me, beating Livi 5-2 at Firhill in a midweek SPL was up there as one of the most enjoyable. We played some great football that night, scored some amazing goals and gave them an utter doing. Which was a welcome change from the norm that season. In typical Thistle fashion though, we couldn't follow that performance up with a win at Rugby Park a few days later.

Thistle 3-0 Motherwell the previous season was another. We totally outclassed them that day and Gerry Britton rounded off the day with a screamer of a half volley right at the end. School was fun on Monday winding up all the Well fans.

Thistle 2-1 Falkirk. The Armand One show. Great performance against the eventual league winners which came from nowhere.

More recently, the 4-0 win against there was one of the most enjoyable Thistle performances in recent years.

Any other games that hold happy memories for you that might have been forgotten by others?

Away to Dundee afew years ago at the start of the season. We were brilliant, but did lose the game. Don't think I've seen us okay as well since, created so many chances & passed them off the pitch. Great atmosphere also from the Jags fans & my hands were stinging after the game because I had been clapping so much!

Thistle doing R*ngers (4-3?) in a dreich midweek affair in 1976(?). Alan Hansen, from midfield, totally bossed the show, scoring a couple and making another. One of the most one-sided games I've ever witnessed with the Queen's XI very fortunate not get absolutely caned. The Hu n support of approx 2000 were barely able to break into a rendition of the sash that night, so shite were they on the park.

Heh heh.

Away to Dundee afew years ago at the start of the season. We were brilliant, but did lose the game. Don't think I've seen us okay as well since, created so many chances & passed them off the pitch. Great atmosphere also from the Jags fans & my hands were stinging after the game because I had been clapping so much!

Was that Harkins first game against us? I can't remember if it was that game or another one but I remember us playing amazngly at Dens a few seasons back but not winning, the atmoshpere was awesome that day.

That Livi away when we won 4-2 (I think they got 2) and Rowson scored that rocket, that was a classic as well.

And the 3-4 defeat at Palmerston after we were 4-0 down and we had a chance like Defoe's at the death against Man City to equalise but the foot just wouldn't make contact.

Hearts in the Scottish Cup a few years back. We lost 2 -1 but it was the best atmosphere at a Jags game in ages - plus the Roberts wonder goal!

Strangely, I really enjoyed when we lost 1 - 0 to St Jonstone in Perth during the whole We Believe campaign. Think it was because there was so much at stake at the game.

Thistle doing R*ngers (4-3?) in a dreich midweek affair in 1976(?). Alan Hansen, from midfield, totally bossed the show, scoring a couple and making another. One of the most one-sided games I've ever witnessed with the Queen's XI very fortunate not get absolutely caned. The Hu n support of approx 2000 were barely able to break into a rendition of the sash that night, so shite were they on the park.

Heh heh.

God!. I remember that game. I was there.Rememeber Hansen getting 2 that night and Harry Johnston scoring, cant remember who got the other one. How they scored 3 I will never know. as you said, we slaughtered them that night. The atmosphere was fantastic under the shed.I remember reading the next day that when Hansen scored the winner wee Bertie bit through his cigar with excitement. :drink:

God!. I remember that game. I was there.Rememeber Hansen getting 2 that night and Harry Johnston scoring, cant remember who got the other one. How they scored 3 I will never know. as you said, we slaughtered them that night. The atmosphere was fantastic under the shed.I remember reading the next day that when Hansen scored the winner wee Bertie bit through his cigar with excitement. :drink:

Jim Melrose. Only downside to a truly wonderful night was Kenny Watson scoring for the h*ns. Can even remember them chanting Watson for Scotland. Must be a sign of old age that you can remember when those ******** actually cared. I also believe that future Thistle hero Derek Johnstone set a world record that night for being awarded a goal whilst in such an advanced offside position. Sort of the opposite of Bobby Houston's achievement in the 1979 Scottish Cup Semi.

The year we won 2nd division, we won away 4-0 against Clydebank at Crappielow, Geordie Shaw scored late on, can't remember who else. Just remember abusing their keeper - can't remember his name, Wylie I think? Anyway, abused him all night, and he made an arse of a shot for a tap in for maybe Hardie, was a great laugh.

Raith away in the Challenge Cup few years, won 5-3 in extra time, was a crackin night although it was the night Davie McCallum got his bad injury.

That's a great shout. I actually came away from that defeat feeling more confident of having a very good season than I was before.

It may be a trifle perverse but I really enjoyed a few results under Dick Campbell. Perhaps it was more that we'd be so piss poor in general just now and again everybody go fired up. The two draws at Firhill against Gretna probably held little significance points wise but to come back so late on from 0-3 down was something special. Same can also be said of the 2-2 game when we we two down after 73 seconds.

McCalls first season and beating Clyde 4-0 at Firhill. Given they had done the same to us the season before , our win gave me great pleasure.

The first of the recent 5-0 hammerings of Morton. I think this came on the back of losing 3-0 to them on the last day of the previous season at Firhill when we were honking.

Also beat Hibs and then St Mirren 2-1 in the late 70's. They were memorable as they were my first two Jags matches. Don't remember much about them other than McAdam scored an over head kick in one of them and Donald Park was amazing. Oh and I sat with my pie resting over my cup of bovril during the St Mirren match and when i picked the pie up the filling fell out the bottom.

We played great stuff that day, terrific support too even though we lost 2-0. Remember singing we can see you sneaking out to the Dee fans leaving before he final whistle.

Still can't fathom how we lost that one, given it was one of our best performance is a very long time.

This one is one of my favourite games ever. Beating Aberdeen at home these days would be no great shakes for an SPL team but that was a really good Dons team (McLeish, Jess, Paatelinen, Shearer etc.). Plus, our 2nd and 3rd goals are belters (the roar from the Shed at the 2nd goal gets me every time).

The 3-2 away to Hibs when Lambie handed over to Collins, Charnley was waiting to come on for about 5 minutes for the sake of saying goodbye but the ball wouldn't go out of play... it did when we (Mitchell? Burns? )scored the winner. Rowser scored a beauty for us that day too, what you would now say is a trademark Rowson strike.

And on a similar note, 1-1 vs the Orcs at Ibrox on the last day of the season- they'd already won the league, we were already safe, when they brought on Goram with 2 minutes to go, he got a standing ovation off their lot as he'd been out injured for ages, and all he had to do was pick Alex Taylor's rasper out of the net. :D

On a pedantic note, I think the 3-0 at home to Motherwell mentioned in the OP might have made us mathematically safe that season, if not then it near as dammit did as it was after the split so it did have a wee bit of significance.

5 - 2 against Hearts at Tynecastle. Smoking in the old wooden stand and singing 'cinq-deux a la Thistle' at Gilles Rousset. meaningless in the great scheme of things, but living through in Embra and Gorgie at the time made it SO sweet!

I think that was the game where, for some reason, we were sitting in the tractor seats below/in front of the main stand.

There were a group young Edinburgh business men (neds in suits) in the hospitality seats immediately above us Jags fans.

I suppose Hearts must have scored first, and these over-refreshed "gents" heaped scorn, and sweary words down on our heads for ages afterwards.

Then the Jags took control and started pasting the Cousins of William all over Tyncastle.

The abuse was duly returned to the guests in the dear seats and they didnae like it.

As the Jags goals rolled in they got more and more apoplectic - to the point where Edinburgh's Finest were called and invited them to see out the rest of the game elswhere.

Hospitality at Tyncastle - £90

Buying a suit from Asda - £40

Enough drink to get pissed - £5

Getting papped out after 60 minutes - PRICELESS

Ah - happy days !! :innocent2:

I think that was the game where, for some reason, we were sitting in the tractor seats below/in front of the main stand.

There were a group young Edinburgh business men (neds in suits) in the hospitality seats immediately above us Jags fans.

I suppose Hearts must have scored first, and these over-refreshed "gents" heaped scorn, and sweary words down on our heads for ages afterwards.

I must have been sitting near you that day, one of those manky fookers spat on my old man after he dished them up a few looks at either 4 or 5-1. ****** manky ******** I hate Hearts with a passion, what a great day that was.

Thistle 5-4 QoS around 2000 maybe. I was quite young, but the atmosphere was amazing and the verbal back and forth between the home and away supports was great too. Seeing nine different players score in one game is something I'm not sure I'll ever see again.

Dundee 4-0 Thistle, last game of the 2008-09 season I think. We were all over them, and it wasn't actually a bad game like the scoreline suggests, and the fans had so much fun.

Thistle 4-0 St Johnstone a couple of years back, all spectacular goals scored by defenders.

the hearts 5-2 game was brilliant. the 3-3 draw with st mirren on the first day of the season a good few years back.i thought we were going to get a doing as they were just down from the spl (IIRC) and we were just promoted. also really enjoyed the cup game at firhill against dunfermline a few years back,firhill under the floodlights,the pitch was a disgrace, they went 1-0 up then we ended up winning 2-1 with a buchanan goal he sclaffed in at the back post at the city end.

Edited by jags on tour