Balatoni

Lindau

Small article on Page 86. Says he is training with Thistle but is gonna prove to everyone that he can cut it in the SPL or go down south. States his reps are speaking to a few clubs and that he isnt looking for a big wage, he just wants a regular game. Well if you want a regular game and a small wage, Firhill should suit you down to the ground mate, however if you want to play in the SPL....FORGET IT!!!!

Edited by Lindau

Balatoni's got bags of potential. How many centre-backs are at his level at that age? Very few. I know he makes mistakes, but he he's learning all the time. He's also miles better than Cole, in my opinion. We need to look to the future now, this season is over - sign him.

Agreed...with the on loan money we are paying for the 2 Rangers guys and the Hibs guy, surely that could have tied up Balatoni. Since Balatoni and Hutton have left us we have been in freefall

He turned 21 2 weeks ago, calling that mid 20s is ridiculous, as is saying if he hasn't fulfilled his potential now he never will. I was not a fan of Balatoni at first but you could see the improvement in his game week on week, especially when he got a bit of confidence. I think he certainly has the potential to be a bottom half SPL player at worst for most of his career, needs to work on his strength a bit perhaps but his distribution and positioning are excellent.

Centre half is usually a position it takes players a bit longer to blossom in, look at David Weir or even Phil Jones, for all his ability going forward he is still a bombscare at the back. I would take him back in a heartbeat, he is only going to improve and he is already better than any other option we have at centre half (Kinniburgh possibly excepted). I'm not convinced he is going to get an SPL contract or a contract down south at this moment though, I think he might be best signing up at Firhill until the end of the season.

Don't know how you can say that Balatoni has "bags of potential". The guy is not 18 anymore he is in his mid twenties. If he hasn't fulfilled his potential by now he never will I'm afraid.

Decent at SFL level, nothing more than that.

He's still young, especially for his position, but I'm also not sure about the "bags of potential". Certainly will improve and with that I'd imagine he'd have less nightmare games. Being relatively small for a centreback and having little pace to compensate probably rules him out of ever making it much above our current level.

If we had even the budget of a few seasons ago I'd be keen on signing Conrad as apart from his bouts of low confidence I feel at worse he'd be a useful squad player but should improve into a more than adequate player.

We let Scott Boyd go, at a similar age, & he's went onto have a good career at this level. To me, Balatoni has more potential than he did/does, if we have the finance we should offer Balatoni an 18month deal.

Agree with this. I'd rather have Balatoni than Cole. Based on yesterday's shambles, Cole can head back to the hunnery any time he likes.

Balatoni's got bags of potential. How many centre-backs are at his level at that age? Very few. I know he makes mistakes, but he he's learning all the time. He's also miles better than Cole, in my opinion. We need to look to the future now, this season is over - sign him.

I agree that Conrad has plenty of potential and I would also like to see him signed but the Board also have to look at finances and if crowds drop away can they spend that money on another wage for the remainder of the season? Please don't take this as a trying to guilt trip people in to parting with their money post as it is just stating facts.

Edited by Fawlty Towers

Had a blinder at Tynie in the cup, otherwise pretty poor. Ran like a girl (still does).

True. As I remember that was one of his first games for us when he was still a 19 yo on loan. I think we can accept the guy is a decent pro so you have to question why he didn't develop in his remaining time at Firhill yet has so obviously improved at Dingwall.

Not blaming McCall for releasing him but it's worth remembering Boyd was on our books at a time, under a previous manager's tenure, when no younger player progressed at Firhill. The same time Mark Stewart had to leave for Falkirk to make something of his career.

I agree that Conrad has plenty of potential and I would also like to see him signed but the Board also have to look at finances and if crowds drop away can they spend that money on another wage for the remainder of the season? Please don't take this as a trying to guilt trip people in to parting with their money post as it is just stating facts.

Fair points, Martin. However, if the board wants more 'customers' through the door it should 'invest' in the 'product'.

Anything else is just managing decline. For people who make a mint successfully selling stuff they seem to be blinkered to what to do with Thistle. If they can't promote the club properly (as part of a 'strategy' of course) how about headhunting in someone who can?

The argument that the playing squad isn't up to snuff because the fans don't show up doesn't seem to be washing anymore. Much.