Just In

thistle4tw

Was great to see us play well for 90 mins instead of the usual good half bad half. Robertson Rowson and Erskine excellent thought Cairney was poor today but if we can win when Cairney has an off day then all the better. 2 crackin goals and Erskine has been threatening to score a goal like that for ages---he could have had acouple of them today

I too thought Cairney was poor but it's hard to be part of a three man midfield in a winning side and not contribute so maybe he was better than we thought. Certainly Rowson & Erskine were outstanding and had to be.

Thing I liked best today was the quality of both goals. If I have to point out a failing, and I can't avoid using a cliché, and that's we're not very good at winning. By that I mean once we score and go ahead we lack composure and get a bit panicky.

Smashing, much-needed win, with good performances from most.

However, as others have said, Cairney wasn't at his best and I thought Sinclair looked well out of sorts.

His body language was all wrong and he spent the second half mainly trudging around with his head down.

With the ball in Fox's hands for a throw / kick upfield, Sinclair would wander towards the half-way line not even looking back to see what Fox was going to do with it.

He looked to me like someone playing with an illness.

Hope i'm wrong and he's back to his more energetic self for Tuesday.

First time I've enjoyed a game at Firhill since we beat Morton 5v0. There seemed to be a different vibe around where I was in the JHS, reminded m of the old days.

Erskine was top class, Robertson put in a performance which showed the manager that he should be starting every week. The big guy put in a great display.

First half reminded me of the Morton game, we were all over except this time we managed to get a goal and a great goal it was too by Doolan. Erskine's goal restores your faith in Scottish football, very enjoyable.

We needed to win that yesterday, considering the run of game we've got coming up and it was a good job done.

Edited by northernsoul

Erskine was brilliant all-round. The pitch was dreadful - hard and bumpy - just look at all the fresh-air shots from both sides. Erskine still trapped, dribbled and pinged passes like he was playing at Wembley. And he tracked back and won the ball several times. As has been said down Byres Road way - the McQuade de nos jours

Worth the admission for Big Bird's goal on it's own and loved his celebration.Doolans goal has been overshadowed a wee bit but it was a fantastic take too.

Im not a Balatoni fan but I thought he was really solid today.I've never liked him and Archie playing together in the middle,don't think their styles play well together but Robertson looks like he could turn into an excellent central defender and there could be a better partnership there with Balatoni.

I felt Elliot had a great game too, running the channels and taking players away to create space for others. He has to start scoring though.Your forwards have to score .Also , if Sinclair wants to go any further in his career he better learn to tackle if he wants to play full back. Would have thought jmac would improve a full back's tackling if nothing else .Huge potential but work required Arron.

Great to have some proper entertainment on a Saturday

,Erskine's goal was an "I was there" moment."

Yesterday pretty much summed up the season for me: some really excellent passages of play on the field, enthusiastic backing from the supporters (in spite of some stewards and crass piggy behaviour), and some periods of awfulness, again in the second half. Also, four weather seasons in one afternoon. Great stuff!

Fox: One bizzarely awful kick-out in the 2nd half, but also one brilliant save. A good performance.

O'Donnell: Best game for some time, both defensively and going forward.

Balatoni: Welcome back. Slotted in naturally, and did it all competently.

Archibald: Reliable; though Archie read the game well.

Sekhon: (That's what the BBC cry him.) Excellent first half, but seemed to lose the plot/concentration in the 2nd half, with a couple of terrible blunders. I'll be amazed if he's not still with us next season. Can't see anybody buying him from us yet.

Cairney (Bannigan 90): Another poorish game by PC's standards. He's got no pace, especially from a standing start, so when he tried to change direction he was easily overpowered by one or two players who were on him right away, and lost possession. More crappy floaty corners, and a crappy floaty free-kick when it would have been better simply to batter it low through the wall. Bannigan looked lively, as you would with only a minute to play.

Scott Robertson: Looked classy!

Rowson: Typical tireless and influential game.

Erskine (Naismith 85): Mr. Entertainment. The McQuade comparisons are looking more and more apt, though Erskine showed yesterday that he can also track back and win the ball as well as many defenders. A couple of sublime dribbly runs yesterday, one ending in a great goal. Naismith OK in his short time.

Doolan (Stewart 39): Dools' turn and shot in the box were excellent. He looked the business yesterday. Looked like he was holding his hamstring on the way off; we need him back soon! Tommy Stewart looks the part, and put in no little amount of effort yesterday, but he's shot-shy. Time is fast running out for him to show he deserves another season at Firhill.

Elliot: Excellent work-rate yesterday, dragging defenders out of position, and some good flicks here and there; a good few headers too. Hasn't scored a goal in months though.

Time to burst the Ross County bubble!

Good performance and a good 3pts.Thought we were very good in the first half and should probably been more than 1up.Second half we werent quite as good but Erskines goal was the best i have seen us score for years.Imo if either of the goals we scored yesterday was scored by a bigger team you would have seen them countless times by now.But then the SFL doesnt have any TV coverage :thumbdown: