No Artificial Pitch At Firhill

Jaggernaut

The club should look take out a loan and look for grants then. The cost saved on the maintenance of a grass pitch and then the benefits gained from plastic would more than repay it.

As far as ripping it up, by **** we would. Its used in bigger leagues than the SPL and if we grew a pair of ******* balls like the teams who said they wouldn't build a 10k stadium then we would surely get it sorted.

Edited by MWM

The club should look take out a loan and look for grants then. The cost saved on the maintenance of a grass pitch and then the benefits gained from plastic would more than repay it.

As far as ripping it up, by **** we would. Its used in bigger leagues than the SPL and if we grew a pair of ******* balls like the teams who said they wouldn't build a 10k stadium then we would surely get it sorted.

This. The SPL have said in the past that they would consider allowing artificial surfaces, so I don't see why it shouldn't be examined more thoroughly with communication with the SPL to ensure it would be adequate.

What banks going to give us a loan in the present climate, and would the loan repayments be less annually than the cost of pitch maintenance

What banks going to give us a loan in the present climate, and would the loan repayments be less annually than the cost of pitch maintenance

Isn't that why interest exists?

Lets look a the positives of a plastic pitch. These are all undebatable facts

• No undersoil heating bills
  • Truckloads of cash saved on renting out pitches for youth teams to train and play on
  • First team can train on it
  • Can be used by the local community
  • Can be used by the public
  • Next to no maintenance costs

I cannot understand any interest to stay with a grass pitch. It should also be noted much smaller clubs than Partick Thistle have artificial pitches, Hamilton Accies being a smaller club who did have one previously. Alloa, Stenhousemuir, Montrose, Airdrie, soon to be Forfar, and possibly down the line Clyde. If these teams can get one, why can't we? The club should source every avenue possible, even looking to the local council for support, the worst they could do is say no.

Isn't that why interest exists?

Lets look a the positives of a plastic pitch. These are all undebatable facts

• No undersoil heating bills
  • Truckloads of cash saved on renting out pitches for youth teams to train and play on
  • First team can train on it
  • Can be used by the local community
  • Can be used by the public
  • Next to no maintenance costs

I cannot understand any interest to stay with a grass pitch. It should also be noted much smaller clubs than Partick Thistle have artificial pitches, Hamilton Accies being a smaller club who did have one previously. Alloa, Stenhousemuir, Montrose, Airdrie, soon to be Forfar, and possibly down the line Clyde. If these teams can get one, why can't we? The club should source every avenue possible, even looking to the local council for support, the worst they could do is say no.

Totally agree with your points I'd just be very very nervous of us taking on a £500k loan, now if we could get a grant though

Surprised at the cost. Not got a clue how Stenny & Montrose managed the finance. With Airdrie I guess the council was more or less 100%involved but I do know a bit or bob about Mulraney at Alloa. I think one of the drawbacks we'd have had is we wouldn't be able to rent it out to quite the same capacity Alloa & Stenny manage where to my knowledge they're the only floodlit pitches in their immediate area.

It should also be noted much smaller clubs than Partick Thistle have artificial pitches, Hamilton Accies being a smaller club who did have one previously. Alloa, Stenhousemuir, Montrose, Airdrie, soon to be Forfar, and possibly down the line Clyde. If these teams can get one, why can't we? The club should source every avenue possible, even looking to the local council for support, the worst they could do is say no.

Hmm, where did these clubs get big money to install artificial pitches?

Totally agree with your points I'd just be very very nervous of us taking on a £500k loan, now if we could get a grant though

Are there not directors who could afford this easily? They could pay for the pitch surface and recoup the money in a few years. If they really cared about the club they'd do it.

Are there not directors who could afford this easily? They could pay for the pitch surface and recoup the money in a few years. If they really cared about the club they'd do it.

Half a million quid is a hell of a lot of money to recoup by hiring out an all-surface pitch to the odd bunch of guys looking for a kickabout. If Thistle trained there for a couple of hours each day, that leaves at best a few more hours for hiring it out. That requires personnel that need to be paid. Floodlighting is also expensive.... I reckon the club has done the sums here.

If you really cared about the club you would put more money into the club.

A bit different when it's said right back at you. The Directors may have decent jobs and a good standard of living but they are not independently wealthy by any means. They are working men and that was an immature comment from yourself.

A bit different when it's said right back at you. The Directors may have decent jobs and a good standard of living but they are not independently wealthy by any means. They are working men and that was an immature comment from yourself.

I think most of us are putting more money into the club: season tickets, 50/50 draw, Centenary Fund, merchandise, programmes, continuing to buy the almost inedible shengis at the pie stalls. Many of us don't have decent jobs or a high standard of living but it seems, compared to the directors, we're expected (and are willing) to put a higher percentage of our "wealth" into the club compared, it would appear, with the directors. So I can't agree with your assessment of Twinny's post.

I think most of us are putting more money into the club: season tickets, 50/50 draw, Centenary Fund, merchandise, programmes, continuing to buy the almost inedible shengis at the pie stalls. Many of us don't have decent jobs or a high standard of living but it seems, compared to the directors, we're expected (and are willing) to put a higher percentage of our "wealth" into the club compared, it would appear, with the directors. So I can't agree with your assessment of Twinny's post.

Maybe we should go down the Mormon route: everybody must turn over 10% of their income to the Jags!

I've been relying on friends and family to give me money to eat recently. These guys are businessmen whose job involves putting money up front and recouping it later.

Half a million quid is a hell of a lot of money to recoup by hiring out an all-surface pitch to the odd bunch of guys looking for a kickabout. If Thistle trained there for a couple of hours each day, that leaves at best a few more hours for hiring it out. That requires personnel that need to be paid. Floodlighting is also expensive.... I reckon the club has done the sums here.

It wouldn't just be making money through hiring it out, but a percentage of the savings from training pitch hire could also go back to a director/group of directors until the debt is repaid. I'd even be happy for them to make some cash out of it if it could also save us cash in the long term too. I'd like to see the figures as you are probably right, I just can't see why teams at lower levels can afford it and we can't.

• Members

The training aspect raises an interesting point. I presume we're still renting Glasgow Green from the Council? I think this sort of thing is done on an hourly basis? Is it then a possibility that training each day is limited to what we can afford to pay with no chance for players to stay behind and practise on their own? Having our own facility could greatly improve the team.

Was part of Academical's problem with the pitch that they also had to have under-soil heating under the rules of the Sphell?

Surely if this was the case they have now seen the error of their ways?

Must be Scottish government or lottery funding available?

According to this Football League document, it only costs 250k to install an artificial pitch, half of that stated by Beattie.

SCOTTISH FOOTBALL LEAGUE

Second division sides Airdrie United and Stenhousemuir and Third Division sides Alloa

Athletic, East Stirlingshire (ground share with Stenhousemuir) and Montrose operate with an

artificial surface. Scottish Football League (SFL) rules permit clubs to use „an artificial surface

which complies with the quality standards set by UEFA and/or FIFA and approved by the

Board‟. Scottish FA Cup and League Cup ties are also permitted on a FIFA certified artificial

surface. Stenhousemuir installed its FIFA 2 Star surface in the summer of 2006, and

benefitted from a local authority grant of £250,000 on the understanding that facility would be

available for the use of the community. Montrose installed its FIFA 2 Star pitch in the summer

of 2007 and has reported „very strong financial and community benefits‟.

According to this Football League document, it only costs 250k to install an artificial pitch, half of that stated by Beattie.

SCOTTISH FOOTBALL LEAGUE

Second division sides Airdrie United and Stenhousemuir and Third Division sides Alloa

Athletic, East Stirlingshire (ground share with Stenhousemuir) and Montrose operate with an

artificial surface. Scottish Football League (SFL) rules permit clubs to use „an artificial surface

which complies with the quality standards set by UEFA and/or FIFA and approved by the

Board‟. Scottish FA Cup and League Cup ties are also permitted on a FIFA certified artificial

surface. Stenhousemuir installed its FIFA 2 Star surface in the summer of 2006, and

benefitted from a local authority grant of £250,000 on the understanding that facility would be

available for the use of the community. Montrose installed its FIFA 2 Star pitch in the summer

of 2007 and has reported „very strong financial and community benefits‟.

it dosnt say that at all, it says they got a grant for £250,000, who knows if anyone else put money in and that was in 2006 so would have been cheaper :unknw:

it dosnt say that at all, it says they got a grant for £250,000, who knows if anyone else put money in and that was in 2006 so would have been cheaper :unknw:

You're right, it doesn't say that. What it does demonstrate, though, is that there are ways and means of securing funding over and above the club coughing up £500,000. It also shows that there's an opportunity for Firhill to become a community hub, something other have lauded Stenny for elsewhere.