Programme Wins Award

Fawlty Towers

Bit embarrassed by this to be honest.

It’s a ‘merit’ award which, if I understand correctly, isn’t quite the same as being considered the best programme of them all.

Still, the nice comments are always welcome.

The programme continues to be well supported by the Thistle fans which is very much appreciated.

I owe thanks to all contributors, photographers and sellers. Especially one of the latter. :P:love:

Bit embarrassed by this to be honest.

It’s a ‘merit’ award which, if I understand correctly, isn’t quite the same as being considered the best programme of them all.

Still, the nice comments are always welcome.

The programme continues to be well supported by the Thistle fans which is very much appreciated.

I owe thanks to all contributors, photographers and sellers. Especially one of the latter. :P:love:

Isn't a merit award what you got at school for basically turning up? Sounds about right.

Well done to Tom and all concerned with the programme! Can we please now have proper team-lists in the programme, and then we will win the "best programme" award? I mean it, Tom - I have written to you on at least six occasions - without reply - asking for proper team-lists. This the first thing to go into a programme. Everything else is secondary!

Well done to Tom and all concerned with the programme! Can we please now have proper team-lists in the programme, and then we will win the "best programme" award? I mean it, Tom - I have written to you on at least six occasions - without reply - asking for proper team-lists. This the first thing to go into a programme. Everything else is secondary!

Without getting into the rights and wrongs of the underlying issue (I happen to agree with you, for what that's worth), I can recall at least 2 occassions when you've raised this on the public forum and Tom has replied to explain that it's an editorial decision based on space constraints. It's a bit harsh to accuse him of not replying.

In the interests of clarity, and to help stolenscone, I should have explained that I have written off-forum at least six times to Tom Hosie at [email protected] - which is what we are supposed to do - and have never had a reply. If the Club provides an e-mail contact address, surely a reply should be forthcoming. As for the programme point: it is entirely correct that MacB - as part of their sponsorship - insisted on using certain pages of the programme for advertising their wares. My point throughout - which Tom Hosie seems unable to comprehend - is that proper team-lists have priority amongst all other editorial matter in a football programme. We do not need, or want - for example - reports on matches that took place a month previously - so space could be better deployed whatever limitations are imposed by advertising. On each occasion I have written personally to Tom Hosie I have offered to help with formulating an editorial space allocation, but no response has been forthcoming. I hope this is helpful to forum readers.

Tom, well done with the programme something i look forward to getting back or my parents visiting ir reading my backlog of programmes my dads put aside for me in my abscence. I think i have almost every home programme stretching back to 85, i'll wait till i have a full 50yrs then auction them

Edited by Norgethistle

In the interests of clarity, and to help stolenscone, I should have explained that I have written off-forum at least six times to Tom Hosie at [email protected] - which is what we are supposed to do - and have never had a reply. If the Club provides an e-mail contact address, surely a reply should be forthcoming. As for the programme point: it is entirely correct that MacB - as part of their sponsorship - insisted on using certain pages of the programme for advertising their wares. My point throughout - which Tom Hosie seems unable to comprehend - is that proper team-lists have priority amongst all other editorial matter in a football programme. We do not need, or want - for example - reports on matches that took place a month previously - so space could be better deployed whatever limitations are imposed by advertising. On each occasion I have written personally to Tom Hosie I have offered to help with formulating an editorial space allocation, but no response has been forthcoming. I hope this is helpful to forum readers.

I think you need a lie down pal.

Lenziejag2,

I have never known Tom not reply to any programme query so perhaps he hadn't received them. I am not sure if anyone else at the club picks them up. However I believe he has already given the reasons to you previously as you stated in your post.

A lot of people do like the match reports so to state "we do not need or want" them as an absolute statement is maybe streching your point. I would think that if lots of programme buyers felt as you do then Tom would have considered changing the format.

I am not saying you don't have a point and your are quite free to state/ask/plead/beg/bribe it as is anyone else about the programme.

I don't think Tom, Kenny or myself do this to win awards, merits, Oscars or Nobel prizes but just to make sure the fans that part with their hard earned cash get value for money. We don't get paid and would do anything to maximise any profit from the programme to go to help the club so we (well mostly Tom because it's his baby) will regularly take on board any offer of help or constructive suggestions from any source.

And just you think you are being hard done by - I regularly tell Tom, people only buy it for the pretty pictures and there is no need for any writing at all but he hasn't changed that fact either. :lol:

My comments have clearly prompted some discussion about the PTFC programme! Could I please reiterate my first point which was to congratulate Tom and the programme team on their well-merited award! Secondly, I would like to thank 1971 for his concern for my health - I am happy to reassure him that I take a lie down most afternoons! I am especially grateful to Tommy Taylor for having taken the time to respond to a number of the points I have been making - thank you Tommy! For the sake of accuracy, I must confirm that I e-mailed Tom Hosie at [email protected] on 24 August/29 August/24 November and 15 December (all in 2011), and on 19 January, 17 February, 20 February, 1 March and 3 March (all 2012). None of these e-mails has been responded to. Perhaps I don't merit a reply - and that is not a hostage to fortune for some wit to build on! We went to Culter and got proper team-lists; we went to Raith Rovers and got proper team-lists; we went to Falkirk and got proper team-lists, etc. etc. Why on earth can't PTFC publish proper team-lists in its programme? I have repeatedly offered to give Tom Hosie some one-off help in editorial space allocation, and am happy to repeat that offer here in a public forum. Proper team-lists are the first editorial item to go into a football programme. Everything else is secondary! Well done again to the programme team on an excellent job!

Well done to the programme team Editor Tom and all the help from Kenny, Jim and Tommy.

Also big well done to Gathland, (Ian Wright and his team) too who are always on hand to help us and play a huge part in the programme.

Hmm, this debate aroused my curiosity, so I picked up the programme from Falkirk on Saturday, turned it over, and there were the player lists of both clubs. Easy for punters to tick off the players, as many do for their records. I then looked at the Jags programme for the 3rd of March (vs. Hamilton), and couldn't find equivalent lists anywhere. I leafed through it again, and realised that player information was there in the form of "Today's Vistors" (pp. 4-5, with a few lines on each player), and then for Thistle probably the nearest thing would be the Kit Sponsors page. So, not really "lists" of the kind that Lenziejag would like, and not an unreasonable request about whether they couldn't be included, in my view.

I remember when the actual team line-ups used to form the centre piece of programmes!