Top Four

proudjag

Having looked at the league table, we are now sitting in fourth position, two points ahead of Hamilton who, despite their win yesterday have been in poor form recently. Looking at our final run-in, I think fourth is an achievable aim for the final part of the season. If we get fourth, I think we would all have to agree that considering where we have been at times this season, fourth place behind the top three promotion chasers would be a decent achievement for the season.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep thinking the league table must be wrong, as we've been so poor at times this season I'd have thought we'd have been lower down the league. But I remember a few of those games were cup games so obviously doesn't affect the league. I'm not one for "if-only's" as we're nowhere near good enough to challenge yet, but 9 points we've given Raith, aswell as 2 missed pens at crucial times at Falkirk, could have maybe been up in 2nd.

Strong end to season would be great, lay down a marker for next year, then lose Cairney and feel miserable once again!

I keep thinking the league table must be wrong, as we've been so poor at times this season I'd have thought we'd have been lower down the league. But I remember a few of those games were cup games so obviously doesn't affect the league. I'm not one for "if-only's" as we're nowhere near good enough to challenge yet, but 9 points we've given Raith, aswell as 2 missed pens at crucial times at Falkirk, could have maybe been up in 2nd.

Strong end to season would be great, lay down a marker for next year, then lose Cairney and feel miserable once again!

You think that's odd? Have a look at the form table. Shows there isn't a team outside Dingwall with any sort of consistency in this league.

You think that's odd? Have a look at the form table. Shows there isn't a team outside Dingwall with any sort of consistency in this league.

Really interesting table - I think despite our form being wildly inconsistent over the season we haven't taken a real doing off anyone in the Division (except Ross County, which I'm treaing as a blip) we're generally on an upward curve. I have to say I'm reasonably optimistic for next season if we keep the squad together. But I tend to say that anyway.....

You want rid of the club that brings the best away support to Firhill in the division (that itself being a sad fact) to be replaced by clubs who bring zero support.

Twinny.

sorry I thought you knew i followed Liverpool. It was my very poor attempt at some banter with you following cup match today.

You are right though. I do want Morton relegated.

Twinny.

sorry I thought you knew i followed Liverpool. It was my very poor attempt at some banter with you following cup match today.

You are right though. I do want Morton relegated.

I got the banter, I figured you were a Liverpool fan, but I felt I'd talk about the game too.

I know what you mean, I don't really like Morton, and like to see them not doing very well. I think I've created an artificial 'derby' in my head, as they're the closest we've got. At the same time though, I'd like to have some games where we get something resembling a 'crowd' in the away end.

Edited to add: I was going to make a joke about Stoke knocking lumps out of Liverpool earlier, but after Fuller's stamp I thought perhaps it wasn't necessary.

Edited by twinny

I got the banter, I figured you were a Liverpool fan, but I felt I'd talk about the game too.

I know what you mean, I don't really like Morton, and like to see them not doing very well. I think I've created an artificial 'derby' in my head, as they're the closest we've got. At the same time though, I'd like to have some games where we get something resembling a 'crowd' in the away end.

Edited to add: I was going to make a joke about Stoke knocking lumps out of Liverpool earlier, but after Fuller's stamp I thought perhaps it wasn't necessary.

I've put up with some amount of crap from Morton fans here. Every season is the same. They are World beaters we are going bust . Their crowds are well on the decline and I don't think we'll see many of them at Firhill next season if they do stay up (which I think they will).

I've never seen Fullers stamp but heard it was bad. Thought you battled well today but Liverpool always had the edge. Suarez goal was a thing of beauty.

All in all, this was definitely the best weekend of 2012 for me

Just seen a website that predicts the final league based on form (the same way Albert's Ghost used to on predecessors of this forum). It predicts Morton to get three points from their final eight matches.

Pop Morton into 7th and squash it all a little towards the centre (48 pts) and you'd be very close to Old Albert's Almanac!

It doesn't really matter, but I think that third would be achievable. A few Falkirk fans seem to think that they're gradually getting worse, and we still need to play them at Firhill. We also seem to have improved a bit recently, so who knows.

Not that it really matters, bar a slight difference in the money we receive for finishing.

Pop Morton into 7th and squash it all a little towards the centre (48 pts) and you'd be very close to Old Albert's Almanac!

Where will we find it? I used to enjoy reading that. In the link I gave there is a link to show the matches the table is based on, and it isn't many.

With eight games left you'd expect the tables to be similar though!

Where will we find it? I used to enjoy reading that. In the link I gave there is a link to show the matches the table is based on, and it isn't many.

With eight games left you'd expect the tables to be similar though!

I keep it in my underpants these days. For my enjoyment only :P

Similar, yes, but they must think Morton are pretty bad.

#Is it more than just feasible that finishing fifth rather than fourth and thus ensuring an earlier cup fixture would generate more cash?

Not if we get parped out by a diddy team!

#Is it more than just feasible that finishing fifth rather than fourth and thus ensuring an earlier cup fixture would generate more cash?

Finishing fourth means we join the Scottish cup in the same round as the SPL teams, meaning we'd be more likely to get a big money game. An away trip to the likes of Culter would cost more than it earns probably.

Given our cup exploits this season, I am praying (metaphorically speaking) that we finish at least 4th.

We are an infuriating side. We're capable of moments of greatness (Morton at home, last week's performance and of course yesterday) but are also capable of looking like a side that haven't a clue what they are doing (Livi away 2nd time round, any game against Raith).

Really hope we can hang on to the core of the side and try and build for next season.

There is nothing decent about squeezing 4th place in what must be the worst First Division in living memory. Our promotion hopes were over after about 2 months and we got dumped out the cup by garbage, nicking 4th place by winning a few dead rubbers means nothing, if anything it shows McNamara is a bottle merchant who can’t handle the pressure or instil any confidence in his players.

There is nothing decent about squeezing 4th place in what must be the worst First Division in living memory. Our promotion hopes were over after about 2 months and we got dumped out the cup by garbage, nicking 4th place by winning a few dead rubbers means nothing, if anything it shows McNamara is a bottle merchant who can’t handle the pressure or instil any confidence in his players.

Out of curiosity, were you at the game on Saturday?

Agree with above. This has been the poorest 1st Division that I can remember. Apart from a by into the 4th round of the Scottish Cup, theres no difference in finishing 4th-8th, the difference of prize money will be small it will surely be insignificant. We will probably win more games as we are playing teams who are playing for nothing like ourselves. Hugely disappointing season that has offered no form of excitment. Can't wait till the start of next season, hopefully with a new manager in charge.

Can't wait till the start of next season, hopefully with a new manager in charge.

That's not going to happen. The board is keeping Jackie and have given him permission to start planning for next season. (And the other candidates make me shudder).

I think we expected too much this season. The cup runs were a disaster, granted. However we have shown that on our day we are capable of real class. Next season will be the season that makes or breaks Jackie. To want to get rid of a rookie manager in his first full year in charge really defies all logic. At the start of the season we looked like we were going down, but since Culter we have picked up and now are up in 4th, virtually clear of the drop. That tells me Jackie is slowly but surely learning.

Edited by Yellow & Redneck

No, Why?

It's just that I've noticed an increasingly negative tone to your posts over the past few months, almost a personality change! Saturday's performance, like the one the week previously at Falkirk, and a businesslike home win before that, showed that the current team has the potential to compete and even excel in this division, which is what we need to do to get out of it. But if you're not at the matches, I guess you won't see the improvements. I see very little acknowledgement of anything positive in your posts of late. Even your old humour seems to be in short supply. But correct me if I'm wrong.