Top Four

proudjag

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Armand2 hits the nail on the head. For me, it's been a frustrating season as we have been brilliant one week and absolutely dire the next (Morton at home followed by Raith away being the best example)

We'll really get to judge McNamara when we see how many of our out of contract players want to re-sign for him.

Our record in the league,so far, suggests midtable mediocrity. Won and lost the same amount of games with draws being two less. Normally this would see us at the lower end of the midtable mini-league. However due to the nature of this season's division we find our selves in the lofty heights of fourth place.

Team wise we've tightened up at the back but taking.out a couple of five goal wins we have struggled up front. There are signs that if we can score more regularly we could've been further up the league and had a better run in the cups.

Our main players are still players signed by mccall. Though it appears keeping these players was part of Mcnamara's close season strategy.

Overall its been a fairly uneventful season but there is the potential to push on next season. In short I'd take fourth place as things stand and look to push on next season. Although we will not get promoted next season irrespective of who was in charge next season.....

People who are far closer to the comings and goings on at the club than me, have said to me that Jackie is not the "nicey nicey" man that he is accused of on here. Certainly reading his after match comments when we last played Livi, he did not come across as a happy man.

He has also shared the views of most of us on here that we should have done better this season. I do think the remaining games are important, as I feel they will go some way to shaping pre season. I accept some (Chico fan, Uberteeb etc) don't accept that or don't like it and they are perfectly entitled to feel that way. Reading the quotes from a few players (McBeth not so), they enjoy playing for him. I spoke to a number of the squad last season after McCall left and every one of them wanted Jackie to get the job. I've seen nothing to suggest he doesn't have the respect of the dressing room.

Enough of that Lenny!!! Morton hospitality has been my only enjoyable game of the season!

Love the scenic train journey down as well :hypocrite:

Oh c'mon chico , only enjoyable game ?

Yeah the scenic journey is good. It's the poor sods the other side of the river I feel sorry for, as they have to look out to the water and see Port Glasgow and Greenock!!

People who are far closer to the comings and goings on at the club than me, have said to me that Jackie is not the "nicey nicey" man that he is accused of on here. Certainly reading his after match comments when we last played Livi, he did not come across as a happy man.

He has also shared the views of most of us on here that we should have done better this season. I do think the remaining games are important, as I feel they will go some way to shaping pre season. I accept some (Chico fan, Uberteeb etc) don't accept that or don't like it and they are perfectly entitled to feel that way. Reading the quotes from a few players (McBeth not so), they enjoy playing for him. I spoke to a number of the squad last season after McCall left and every one of them wanted Jackie to get the job. I've seen nothing to suggest he doesn't have the respect of the dressing room.

Who has said that?

You could of course say they all want him to take the job and all enjoy playing for him because he is a nice guy and their pal.

Who has said that?

You could of course say they all want him to take the job and all enjoy playing for him because he is a nice guy and their pal.

Does it really matter who has said it ? They were 4 people who work or worked at the club.

None of the conversations I had with the likes of Balatoni, Cairney, Campbell, Archie, Burns and Kinniburgh related to him being a pal. They all had respect for him, his beliefs in how to play the game and his knowledge of the game. I've also spoken at length with Jackie. He has very big hopes for us, wants to get us playing attractive football and wants the players to believe in themselves. I think too many of them suffer from a lack of self belief. They need to change that and be more confident.

Does it really matter who has said it ? They were 4 people who work or worked at the club.

None of the conversations I had with the likes of Balatoni, Cairney, Campbell, Archie, Burns and Kinniburgh related to him being a pal. They all had respect for him, his beliefs in how to play the game and his knowledge of the game. I've also spoken at length with Jackie. He has very big hopes for us, wants to get us playing attractive football and wants the players to believe in themselves. I think too many of them suffer from a lack of self belief. They need to change that and be more confident.

Having high hopes, wants to get us playing attractive football and wants the players to believe in themselves. What else would you expect him to say? The players respect him, what else are they going to say to a supporter?

None of that gives any indication he has the baws to go through the players when they are rubbish, like they were for the majority of the season.

Having high hopes, wants to get us playing attractive football and wants the players to believe in themselves. What else would you expect him to say? The players respect him, what else are they going to say to a supporter?

None of that gives any indication he has the baws to go through the players when they are rubbish, like they were for the majority of the season.

You asked if anyone has heard if he gets angry with the players. I thought i'd advise I have heard he does and that people connected have told me so. Can't really offer any further comments other than that.

Give ubertube the job, he'll have us in th champions league within 3 years cos he'll shout loudly in the dressing room and tell them how sh*tty they all are. It's the way forward..............

Maybe jackie will get us there, because he's really nice to the players, just lets them get on with the game without interfering because it might distract them.

Doesnt work them hatd in training incase they hurt their wee legs and asks them politely to do things and if they don't he just says, don't worry lads, there's always next week.

As a fan, I know what I'd prefer. If I was a player who wanted to better myself, I know what I'd prefer...

If I was a player turning up and just going through the motions... Oh wait a minute!

And what for you would "prove" mean? Top of the division only? Maybe 2nd or 3rd? How many points off top?

Remember after the first quarter last season when ICT were truly, truly crap? Who'd have thought they'd turn it around to win the league back then? There are also many cases of teams sitting nicely on top after the first quarter or half of the season, then losing it totally. So maybe if JM does get us to the top of the league after the first round of matches next season we should ditch him anyway, just in case.

To be challenging Jaggernaut and not losing and dropping points to teams that are inferior to us...from what i saw when i was going early on in the season.

As for ditching Jackie next season we are in a lose lose situation yet again....we have to give him time next season but if things go pear shaped and we want to get rid we will still be stuck mid table or whatever it will be yet another wasted season.

Maybe jackie will get us there, because he's really nice to the players, just lets them get on with the game without interfering because it might distract them.

Doesnt work them hatd in training incase they hurt their wee legs and asks them politely to do things and if they don't he just says, don't worry lads, there's always next week.

As a fan, I know what I'd prefer. If I was a player who wanted to better myself, I know what I'd prefer...

If I was a player turning up and just going through the motions... Oh wait a minute!

Do you KNOW that's how things are? That's how Jackie treats his players or how he trains them? Unless you're a player , I'd guess no, so why are you lambasting a guy for things he might not even be doing.

For the record, I'm no big McNamara fan, I think he's unproven. Being unproven, I think he deserves some more opportunity to show us what he can do. I think the majority would have taken 4th as an acceptable finish in the first season of a rookie manager of our club. If it gets to a point where, over a period of time, results and performances are unacceptable, then I think you'll get your wish and he'll be moved on. But I think he's a fair bit away from that at present.

Do you KNOW that's how things are? That's how Jackie treats his players or how he trains them? Unless you're a player , I'd guess no, so why are you lambasting a guy for things he might not even be doing.

For the record, I'm no big McNamara fan, I think he's unproven. Being unproven, I think he deserves some more opportunity to show us what he can do. I think the majority would have taken 4th as an acceptable finish in the first season of a rookie manager of our club. If it gets to a point where, over a period of time, results and performances are unacceptable, then I think you'll get your wish and he'll be moved on. But I think he's a fair bit away from that at present.

You're right. Maybe he just LOOKS like he doesn't give a flying ****. But you're right.

i thought it would be obvious i was exagerating to make a point! the problem is tho, what you see on the pitch reflects in a small part what i was saying.

You know, the funny thing is, i don't want him moved on. Far from it. Infact i can state as fact, at no point have i wanted him sacked.

Yes, 4th is an acceptable finish for us, but i'd prefer us to get there in a manner that means people come and watch us because we entertain, and promote youths through. in other words. i'd prefer us to have been up with the Falkirks and Dundee's and end up 4th... than spend the season pissing about with the Livi's, Raiths and Hamiltons, playing, for the vast majority of the season, heartless, gutless football.

i'd dont want to keep going on about them, but the fact is it's very easy to draw comparison. St Mirren brought in Danny Lennon last season, he had to rebuild the team and on far smaller budget than Gus. In his first season it was pretty poor by all accounts and whilst using the majority of Gus's squad, he brought in a couple of his own. At the end of last season he cleared out a lot of dead wood, and even a few players he had brought in himself. in the now second year of his plan, he is building from the back, shoring up the defence and this season has been about educationg the goalkeeper, defenders and midfielders learning to be comfortable with the ball, and pass it about on the deck from the back. Unfortunately, although they are great to watch, they don't score many goals. infact they don't score any goals. i would imagine danny will therefore spend the summer bringing in an attacking midfielder and a couple of forwards, as he has re-signed the majority of this seasons defenders and midfielders.

The point i'm trying to make is that i hope Jackie is a season behind Lennon (one of the best managers in scotland just now) and that next season will see us doing something similar to what St Mirren are doing this season.

All i really know is what i see on the park, and this season i have seen some of the worst football i have seen at Firhill since i started going at the end of the 80's. yes there have been 2 or 3 good games, there have been 3 or 4 good halfs. but the vast majority have been appauling. appauling in the way that i watch players not progressing as footballers, or not making any effort what so ever on the park. it's frustrating to pay your money every week and not get anything back.

i always thought Jackie was an outstanding footballer in his career, one of the folk you looked at and thought, i'd love to see him at Firhill, he's the sort of guy we need, when he did eventually come, it was cut short... i really hope jackie does well next year, i spoke to him in pre season, i've spoken to him a couple of times since and at Morton away he went over and above the call of duty to help out a lad at our hospitality table. he obviously cares about the job he does, and wants to be a success... i hope he can be, because that means we will be!

The fact is, no manager can change things over night. It takes maybe 3 years to completely rebuild a team. i'd rather see us in year 2 next season, than starting a fresh again!

I'm not sure I believe the assertion that we have one of the lowest budgets in the league. I believe we offered better terms to certain players who chose to join other sides instead and we paid transfer fees, however nominal, for Elliot and, if I remember correctly, Sinclair. Not really indicative of a team scraping the barrel.

I believe Sinclair had interest from other clubs but none of them followed up with firm contract offers. The two transfer fees paid for Sinclair and Elliot would have probably been less that some signing on fee's for other players.

If you compare our accounts to some other teams in this league we made a small profit when others have lost considerable amounts of money. Wages especially for football clubs are by far the largest expenditure. This for me makes it clear that these teams are running higher budgets than us, though you have to question how long they can keep this level of spending up.