Just In: Pt V Raith Rovers

Fearchar

We need more muscle in midfield.

If Paton is not to be played as a rIght (wing) back he absolutely must be played in a more advanced role in midfield. He was poor at right centre-back.

Balatoni was poor. O'Donnell didn't have a good game either. The right hand side was paralysed all game by those players having an off day.

Bannigan was decent at left-wing back but I'd rather have him in a more advanced role when Sinclair gets back. The midfield is really missing Rowson and was just a bit empty without having enough presence to free up Cairney. Welsh didn't see much of the ball all in all and we only really looked promising when Cairney got involved. Erskine was quiet today which didn't help and once Doolan was off we didn't have anyone leading the charge up-front. McGuigan was okay but didn't have much by way of support or service and Elliot was pretty much anonymous all second half.

Edit: Big Col - I know it's not mathematical yet, but for us to be in danger of the play-off spot, Raith Rovers would have to beat Falkirk, Queens and Morton while Ayr would have to beat Hamilton, Dundee and Falkirk AND we'd have to get a mere point from our remaining 3 games. We're safe.

Edited by Woodstock Jag

Bannigan was superb and rightly man of the match. Actually thought Paton had a good game and was very unlucky with the goal. Balatoni had some awful moments but also won a few of his challenges. I'd say that was as good as Archie has been all season.

Not much happened for the forwards today, most had an off day. Thought if we got the second we'd have killed it, but it never came. In typical fashion this season we created our own downfall.

Fox save at the end was just world class, granted the lad was offside but Fox never knew that.

At least we stopped the run of home defeats but win would have made it the perfect day.

Another game we should have won.

Graham caused us problems throughout the game. I thought Jackie should have had Kinniburgh on at half time for Balatoni who had a nightmare game. I think he would coped better with Graham.

I thought Bannigan was pretty average in the first half but outstanding in the second. He got to the by line and we should have scored through this. If Doolan had stayed on I think we would have.

I have no idea why Fox came for the ball at the goal, if he had stayed on his line I don’t think they would have scored.

Paton was excellent until his scored the own goal, then he fell apart.

I have no idea why Fox came for the ball at the goal

Erm, because he was the only thing between Graham and the goal? He closed down the angles and the man, removing the shooting opportunity causing Graham to hit the cross which unfortunately went in off Paton. There's no way Fox can be faulted in that situation.

• Members

Missed a two or three home games since Christmas working away from home and just realised I have seen only one win this year, Hamilton at Firhill at the beginning of March! Seems to me that the players have just been going through the motions since Christmas, just doing enough to stay in mid table, not threatening the top but in no real danger of going down also. We need to change the mindset of the majority of the squad next season if we want folk to continue coming back to Firhill.

Perhaps the win bonus should be improved for the players with the standard wage not improving?

• Members

Erm, because he was the only thing between Graham and the goal? He closed down the angles and the man, removing the shooting opportunity causing Graham to hit the cross which unfortunately went in off Paton. There's no way Fox can be faulted in that situation.

At first I thought he was crazy to come for a ball he was never going to reach, then when I thought about it, I agree DP, he had no other choice. Paton was unlucky imo. The big guy for Raith was a handful all day long and seemed to get stronger the longer the game went on. Pity about his cheating though.

At first I thought he was crazy to come for a ball he was never going to reach, then when I thought about it, I agree DP, he had no other choice. Paton was unlucky imo. The big guy for Raith was a handful all day long and seemed to get stronger the longer the game went on. Pity about his cheating though.

Yeah he had to come to narrow the angle. Paton was just unlucky.

We need more muscle in midfield.

If Paton is not to be played as a rIght (wing) back he absolutely must be played in a more advanced role in midfield. He was poor at right centre-back.

Balatoni was poor. O'Donnell didn't have a good game either. The right hand side was paralysed all game by those players having an off day.

Bannigan was decent at left-wing back but I'd rather have him in a more advanced role when Sinclair gets back. The midfield is really missing Rowson and was just a bit empty without having enough presence to free up Cairney. Welsh didn't see much of the ball all in all and we only really looked promising when Cairney got involved. Erskine was quiet today which didn't help and once Doolan was off we didn't have anyone leading the charge up-front. McGuigan was okay but didn't have much by way of support or service and Elliot was pretty much anonymous all second half.

Edit: Big Col - I know it's not mathematical yet, but for us to be in danger of the play-off spot, Raith Rovers would have to beat Falkirk, Queens and Morton while Ayr would have to beat Hamilton, Dundee and Falkirk AND we'd have to get a mere point from our remaining 3 games. We're safe.

I reckon so WJ, but I'm never happy till it is mathematically done and dusted, which I expect it to be at 4.45pm next Saturday.

Liked seeing us play with that bit extra width even if we didn't exactly have the players to carry it off. If Cairney hasn't signed a pre contract I'm not so sure he'll not be with us next season. I'll stick my usual complaint of three unadventurous centrebacks on the back burner this week. Both Archie & Paton got much further forward than against similar quality opposition. The one-footedness criticism of Paton, which has not been a drawback in recent weeks, was sadly once again all too valid today.

In short I liked the set up and the way we tried to play. Let down by technique (Doolan's absence in the 2nd half compounded that) and too much dependence on two or three players, who I suspect may not be 100& fit.

Don't agree with a previous post saying Bannigan was average in the first half. Thought from the start he was very good, fully deserving MotM. Would love to see him get a crack in central mid before the season's end but I reckon that won't be likely.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Bannigan superb throughout. Paton one of his better games, nae luck with the goal. Pinged some great passes, esp. 1st half. McGuigan was honking - made Elliott look good.

You having a laugh? McGuigan far more effective, but hey all about opinions

Bannigan superb throughout. Paton one of his better games, nae luck with the goal. Pinged some great passes, esp. 1st half. McGuigan was honking - made Elliott look good.

You having a laugh? McGuigan far more effective, but hey all about opinions

They didnt get a lot of great service to be fair and the chance McGuigan had he made for himself. Thought we took the wrong option too many times today but we were still by far the better team. Wonder save from Fox he wasnt to know the boy was offside and Paton was unlucky with OG any other week it wouldnt have gone in. Bannigan excellent all game MOM by country mile imo

Edited by Jaggyman

Massively disagree. I thought he looked promising; won quite a lot of balls in the air and showed a nice touch and some good link-up play. He probably should have done better with his chance in the second half, but for a guy who was making his first start as a pro I thought he played well.

Massively disagree. I thought he looked promising; won quite a lot of balls in the air and showed a nice touch and some good link-up play. He probably should have done better with his chance in the second half, but for a guy who was making his first start as a pro I thought he played well.

Completely agree. Remember this is a guy making his first start in the pro game. Thought he did pretty well.

Bannigan man of the match by a long way. Our season may be drifting to a close but the last few games have been very promising from him.

Completely agree. Remember this is a guy making his first start in the pro game. Thought he did pretty well.

Bannigan man of the match by a long way. Our season may be drifting to a close but the last few games have been very promising from him.

Dont think thats quite true. He played under Dick Campbell at Forfar apparently. Thought McGuigan was poor today but no way he was nearly as bad as Elliot. Cannot see what Elliot offers at all and I wouldnt be too sad to see him have his contract cancelled by mutual consent in the summer. If he does stay then i reckon a 3 month loan deal would be beneficial for him next season.

*Apparently he didnt play for Forfar after all.... Apologies

Edited by Gonzaga

He could have shut down the angles without committing himself as he did. Most strikers would be able to round the keeper in the same circumstances leaving any player in the box and easy tap in imo.

He could have shut down the angles without committing himself as he did. Most strikers would be able to round the keeper in the same circumstances leaving any player in the box and easy tap in imo.

agreed, he came rushing out far too late & made it easy for the striker. Having said that, his save at the end was unbelievable!