Close Season Quiz

potty trained

Ok, a quick scan of the previous pages tells me it should be all right to use this question:

In season 1972/73 Thistle played friendly games against the same foreign opposition both home and away. Who were they, where did they come from and what were scores in each of the matches ?

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, a quick scan of the previous pages tells me it should be all right to use this question:

In season 1972/73 Thistle played friendly games against the same foreign opposition both home and away. Who were they, where did they come from and what were scores in each of the matches ?

Rot Weiss Essen? I'm fairly sure we lost 7-1 in Germany and think it might have been a 1-1 draw at Firhill...possibly the last friendly match I was at.

• Members

We played Honved twice that season but that would have been uefa cup.....

Beat 4-0 on aggregate. 0-1 at home and 0-3 away.

0-1 away and 0-3 at home sadly Jagfox. Remember being delighted with the first leg perforamnce and being full of hope for the return only for the Hungarians to rip us apart.

Rot Weiss Essen? I'm fairly sure we lost 7-1 in Germany and think it might have been a 1-1 draw at Firhill...possibly the last friendly match I was at.

Correct! well, the Rot Weiss and 7-1 bit but we actually won 3-2 at Firhill. :D

So, Winter of 63, your turn next....

Correct! well, the Rot Weiss and 7-1 bit but we actually won 3-2 at Firhill. :D

So, Winter of 63, your turn next....

If this was a Celtic Forum, there would be outrage about your decision, Camallain B)

I believe new signing Hugh Murray is the brother of the much maligned Grant. Name two other pairs of brothers who have played for Thistle...and also the uncle and nephew.

If this was a Celtic Forum, there would be outrage about your decision, Camallain B)

I believe new signing Hugh Murray is the brother of the much maligned Grant. Name two other pairs of brothers who have played for Thistle...and also the uncle and nephew.

I think for the 1-1 game you mention you might have actually been the friendly against Munich 1860 the previous season. Ronnie Glavin scored for Thistle, I believe.

RE your question, are the brothers the Hanson's and Callaghan's

0-1 away and 0-3 at home sadly Jagfox. Remember being delighted with the first leg perforamnce and being full of hope for the return only for the Hungarians to rip us apart.

Oops! I was on the wrong track anyway ;)

Was it another Hungarian team that knocked us out of the fairs cup in 63/64? Upjest rings a bell?

Robert and Bobby Gray

Some swift answers and more refereeing controversy - the Hansens and Doyles were the two brothers I had in mind...the Callaghans were cousins .

I hadn't thought of Neil and Jim Duffy, Jagfox but Robert and Bobby Gray were uncle and nephew who both played around 70/71.so I'll give it to Jeanie D who got his/her answer in first.

Alan & John Hansen

Jamie & Gerry Doyle

The last is a guess..... Charlie and Charlie Smith? (Or was it Colin???)

I'm sure that the big full back who played in Lambie's side who won promotion from the Second Division was the son of Colin Smith - can't remember his first name...was it Robert?

Jagfox - Spartak Brno were the side that put us out of the Eufa Cup in 1964. Think they were from Czechoslavakia and I believe we were 3-0 up in the first leg only to concede two late goals...then 4-0 in the second leg.

Some swift answers and more refereeing controversy - the Hansens and Doyles were the two brothers I had in mind...the Callaghans were cousins .

I hadn't thought of Neil and Jim Duffy, Jagfox but Robert and Bobby Gray were uncle and nephew who both played around 70/71.so I'll give it to Jeanie D who got his/her answer in first.

Less of the his/her gender issue!! :shok: The name is a tribute to the finest ship ever built ever in the world ever!!! I am a he - Jeanie Deans was, of course, a she - both the character in the Walter Scott book and the vessel. :happy2::crazy: although avatar isn't she :frantic:

If the baton has passed to me then I will have to think about it ................................. who is the most expensive Thistle signing ever - cost per minutes played.

Probably too easy but it was just off th top of my head.

The boy we signed from Killie after Lambie replaced Sandra Clark, Davie Mc......aaargh. Rumoured to have cost anywhere between 100k and 10k.....he was pish, imo.

McFarlane,

Thanks for the memory.................not.

Was it Lambie who signed Ian Jardine for the second time?

Edited by Barney Rubble

McFarlane could have been Sandra's last signing if not Lambie's first of that spell.....

I think Jardine was signed by Clark. Signing those two would be enough to get the sack imo :P

Edited by jagfox

going back to brothers, there was the Docherty brothers in the mid-80's, they were dreadful. I think it might have been Jim & John, but I couldn't be sure. One of them was fat & was suupposedly a striker, my only real memory of him was running in to the fence that surrounded the pitch at Shawfield. There was a Pat Docherty who left to join the police I think, but I don't think he was related to the other 2