Onethistle - Is The Project Finished Already?

ClydebankJag

Ok here goes...

Anyone who follows me on twitter will probably know my opinion as I've not be shy in discussing it. I want these cheats punished. Since Murray walked into Ibrox, they have cheated by so many different means... Nearly 30 years they have been at it.

I think thistle should make a statement now, about how they will vote, yes or no.

My opinion is that thistle will vote yes and that the club are up to their eyeballs in this, that they have probably been in discussions with other clubs, and boards of the associations for more than just the 10 or so days this has been in the open. I'd say this has been a plan for a month or so.

The SPL teams have tried to play their fans with the "we'll vote NO" bullsh!t... As we now find the SPL teams want them back in 12 months.

If you read beattie's interviews last week in the Glasgow papers, he can be quoted as giving his long term ideal position for thistle, he even uses the name SPL2 to describe where he wants us to be... Low and behold, a week later the associations plans are published, and beatties dream mirrors the publication. Spook that eh?

I think the new co must start next season either without league membership, or in the 3rd division. If they start in the first, I will not be back at Firhill again.

Ian has mentioned things going on within the club, as he said, there's a thread running onthat issue. I'll leave it at that just now,

When the one thistle group was first touted, as can be seen on here in a thread, I was very cynical, I saw it as the club basically trying to get the fans to do Ami's job. But, having met up with Jim and lance, I can say that I wanted to help with the move, and anything else I could (you may have seen me kicking about the pitch in Archie day).

As for where does OneThistle go now? That's down to the fans. Over the last 5-10 years it has pretty much been the same faces who get involved with stuff.

Look at Ian and I who have helped with every fan/flag/shed day there has been. I'm 36 years old in a few weeks, Ian's not far behind me... And yet we are the "voice of the shed" apparently? Why in gods name is there no young folk wanting to get involved?

The fact tho that we are having so many discussions about onethistle just proves the jags trust are finished.

From the initial mention on onethistle it appeared to me they were looking for people to put themselves forward to be in the group, it then transpired that fans had been approached (no problem with that) & that the group appeared to be more of a closed shop than an open invitation to supporters who thought they could add value/expertise.

There are many fans put there with good contacts etc, onethistle shoud try & reach out to them, maybe they have, but it hasn't been a public request.

What is the thread you & Ian mention as a factor in hindering onethistle's development?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly appreciate anybody taking up "thankless tasks" like this. Been there, done that. It does make you wonder why anybody would bother, a bit like being a referee in a way. Whatever, trying to form a concept of "one" Thistle does seem like a tall order, but thank f some people try. In the meantime, and aside from the acidic newco effect, people start walking away, and some might not come back. Rangers have the numbers to afford that but we don't.

Edited by beep0608

Apart from constant references to it, I don't have a real idea of who the OneThistle team are or what they are doing. I did see DJ traipsing about the park in a suit which was more than amusing.

It's never really taken any form other than a vague concept (but so is motherhood and apple pie). Unless and until it's given some more substantive form then it's going to be hard to grow. But maybe that was never the intention.......

Wearing my ultra-cynical hat, I do think this was a concept that was waved in front of those who resigned from the Trust as some sort of indication of intent on behalf of the board for fan involvement. Personally, I think they were had. And the way it's developed (to the extent that it has) rather reinforces this.

It'll all be academic if we support Newco getting into SFL1.

From the initial mention on onethistle it appeared to me they were looking for people to put themselves forward to be in the group, it then transpired that fans had been approached (no problem with that) & that the group appeared to be more of a closed shop than an open invitation to supporters who thought they could add value/expertise.

There are many fans put there with good contacts etc, onethistle shoud try & reach out to them, maybe they have, but it hasn't been a public request.

What is the thread you & Ian mention as a factor in hindering onethistle's development?

This was my general view of it too, and was about to post a similar response to PTs "voice of the shed" comment. On that note, PT you know who I am, you know who I go to the games with and you know (or should do) that we are more than willing to roll our sleeves up and help out in any way we can, but we need to be approach with something. We aint gona go to the club and claim to be able to do something if we don't know if we can (or if what we could bring to the table would even be needed). So, talk to us (and the wider support), let us know what's in the offing and lets see where we can help. One example is the switch to the North Stand. Great idea, but wider consultation might have seen a bit of leeway in relation to under 16s not being allowed. Why all under 16s? Why not under 12s not allowed but between the ages of 12-15 you need to be accompanied by an adult? These things could have been asked if we had known anything about the plans, but we didn't know about it until it was job done.

Apart from constant references to it, I don't have a real idea of who the OneThistle team are or what they are doing. I did see DJ traipsing about the park in a suit which was more than amusing.

It's never really taken any form other than a vague concept (but so is motherhood and apple pie). Unless and until it's given some more substantive form then it's going to be hard to grow. But maybe that was never the intention.......

Wearing my ultra-cynical hat, I do think this was a concept that was waved in front of those who resigned from the Trust as some sort of indication of intent on behalf of the board for fan involvement. Personally, I think they were had. And the way it's developed (to the extent that it has) rather reinforces this.

It'll all be academic if we support Newco getting into SFL1.

Again, this is my take on things. I am still a member of the JT I think...but won't be renewing this year. I think Im one of the last few who believed the Trust could be an effective body if we all got involved and made it one...but Ive given up on the Trust to. The concept of OneThistle came along and I thought it might just become that 'effective body' without the baggage of politics/shares etc. Ever the optimist, I still think it could be but only if there is a NO vote in relation to Newco in SFL1 because anything other than that will see fans who would get involved in OneThistle walking away from the game...and by extension Partick Thistle (including CF, OneThistle and anything else that relies on fan involvement).

Edited by Steven H

As for where does OneThistle go now? That's down to the fans. Over the last 5-10 years it has pretty much been the same faces who get involved with stuff.

I volunteered every Saturday for a season and a half. Last season I was told not to bother helping any more. No thanks for all the work I had done and no explanation of to why I wasn't too come back. As far as I am concerned my days of doing anything "extra" are over. My point is the same as 1JL there are plenty of fans who want to help but don't know how to go about it. OneThistle seem like an exclusive club. The club imo are not approachable when it comes to volunteering. Other 1st division clubs (Cowdenbeath) even have a section for volunteering.

Thistle hasn't been that good at showing its appreciation of its volunteers. I'm not party to everything that's said and done on a Saturday but I can think of three people who together have 40 years of service to the club.

Given that what they do for a living could make a tidy per diem for them of a day that's a lot of giving. None is inclined to remind people of their efforts on the club's behalf either - or remonstrate with unhappy fans on a public forum when the going gets tough.

Sadly, I don't get to see or talk to them that often but they should know they're appreciated.

Liittle_Miss_Jag, 1JL and McKennan all make valid points.

My understanding is that up till now the Club themselves have been running the volunteers. This is an area where OneThistle could help improve; and recognition for people's efforts would need to be a key element of that.

There is much potential to get everyone more involved and feel part of the matchday effort.

OneThistle was an attempt to pull together the loose threads of volunteers and proffessionals who undertook work for the Club and have it as a more cohesive unit,the ubderstanding was that they would take on roles and grow ,in the process its numbers would hopefully grow and the fans would have a direct input in running the Club.

If the concept of fans running PTFC was ever to become a reality the having fans with direct experience who at some point in time could move onto more Senior roles is crucial.

For numerous reasons the roles we had hoped to have didnt transpire ,this is a radical change - " fans" are not seen as "proffessionals" by most Clubs ,they are seen as well meaning volunteers - if onethistle are to get off the ground then that culture has to change ,its a struggle ,so we havent given up on the concept its just not going anywhere very fast therefore as peoples expectations are raised we have to be honest about progress.

Its not a closed shop but until we manage to establish the formal roles it has, then further recruitment is pointless.

When I had a formal position with the Club a loose group was formed to deliver various events like Glasgows Big Game - the Club recieved the credit where in reality it took very little interest and at times was damn right obstructive - the reason for branding this onethistle was so that the fans who ran these events recieved recognition and other fans were aware PTFC fans are capable of delivering.

Hopefully the barriers we are facing will be removed and we can progress as we had hoped to do.

LMJ - can I ask what you done as a volunteer that the club didn't need done by you anymore?

Oh it's not that they didn't need me Clydebank Jag - I sold programmes and 50/50s in the Aitken suite with 1JL on Sat at 12pm - missed most of the first half as a results of it and I enjoyed it but last year was advised not too come back - no real reason given, although I have a few theories why.

It's funny I thought I had made some great Thistle "friends" but turned out not to be the case.

But hey I love the JAGS and yeah it stung a bit - but the pub before games is a hell of alot more fun and makes annoying uncontrolled children a wee bit more bearable! :)!

Oh it's not that they didn't need me Clydebank Jag - I sold programmes and 50/50s in the Aitken suite with 1JL on Sat at 12pm - missed most of the first half as a results of it and I enjoyed it but last year was advised not too come back - no real reason given, although I have a few theories why.

It's funny I thought I had made some great Thistle "friends" but turned out not to be the case.

But hey I love the JAGS and yeah it stung a bit - but the pub before games is a hell of alot more fun and makes annoying uncontrolled children a wee bit more bearable! :)!

LMJ -can I just state there would be no problem if you were to volunteer next Season and I promise not to put you in the kids zone :thumbsup2:

• Members

The problem is Jim, no-one knows who the folk are behind One Thistle other than you. I gather Lance is involved and I'm pretty sure young Colin is helping out with the website and the various web offerings that are presented from time to time. But I'm guessing that one and I have no idea who the others are. Difficult to praise someone when you don't know who is doing it.

You can do things to help the Club without blowing your trumpet, I'm biased I know, but I thought Lianne did a very good job with this with the old PTFC.net site and the community within that site were all happy to help the Club at times but the Club never appreciated it. We've had nothing like this since. The way the Board treated Lianne at the time was crap and she's not the only one that was shoddily treated after years doing things for the Club with little thanks.

The Board need to change and realise it's the fans that make the Club what it is not them.

The problem is Jim, no-one knows who the folk are behind One Thistle other than you. I gather Lance is involved and I'm pretty sure young Colin is helping out with the website and the various web offerings that are presented from time to time. But I'm guessing that one and I have no idea who the others are. Difficult to praise someone when you don't know who is doing it.

You can do things to help the Club without blowing your trumpet, I'm biased I know, but I thought Lianne did a very good job with this with the old PTFC.net site and the community within that site were all happy to help the Club at times but the Club never appreciated it. We've had nothing like this since. The way the Board treated Lianne at the time was crap and she's not the only one that was shoddily treated after years doing things for the Club with little thanks.

The Board need to change and realise it's the fans that make the Club what it is not them.

The idea behind a generic brand was so that members didnt have to be seen as "the Clubs men" and that as all things were a team effort then the team took the credit ,I agree regards our treatment of volunteers and in essence the idea behind onethistle was to stop them being taking for granted.

The task in rebuilding PTFC is massive and even now we know the onethistle team would need to double ( at least) ,due to the shoddy treatment history its difficult getting any fan based group off the ground as you get it from both ends.

People get fed up and give up.

LMJ -can I just state there would be no problem if you were to volunteer next Season and I promise not to put you in the kids zone :thumbsup2:

To be honest I just want to know why I told to "feck off" last season!

I did a hell of alot - came in on days of work during season ticket time and as I said missed most of the first half counting money!

I have to say Jim, my favourite thing about volunteering was actually the start of the season when you made me get all the parents to sign up their kids to the "Junior Jags" - the season we gave them a flag. To see kids getting excited was good. I don't mind the well behaved children really! :P

I couldn't do it again though!

That's grim LMJ. But the our club has a long history of kicking hardworking volunteers into touch, so it's not surprising to read your post.

I think the worse part of it all is having "friends" who didn't actually have my back or find out why I was told not to come back!

But over it - as I said pub before games is a hell of alot of fun! :)!

Jim, you say the One thistle team would need to double. How are the fans to know about this? If it's by word of mouth, that just breeds the feeling of it being a secret society.

We recruited the core team from people already doing the jobs at Firhill ,we will expand this by putting ads in the Programme /Website with job descriptions asking people to join the team ,its very much in its infancy Will and its difficult getting the core team established ,this if it works is a long term project.

To be honest I just want to know why I told to "feck off" last season!

I did a hell of alot - came in on days of work during season ticket time and as I said missed most of the first half counting money!

I have to say Jim, my favourite thing about volunteering was actually the start of the season when you made me get all the parents to sign up their kids to the "Junior Jags" - the season we gave them a flag. To see kids getting excited was good. I don't mind the well behaved children really! :P

I couldn't do it again though!

LMJ wasnt there Im afraid so honestly no idea - going forward we would hope to have a far more proffesional approach to volunteers

Very sad that one thistle is getting accused of being a "closed shop" by some people on here, who I would have expected better of.

Has anyone who put their name forward been ignored or knocked back? To my knowledge the answer to that is no, so I don't know how anyone can say it's a closed shop. If I thought for one minute it was, I would not have got involved.

Seems to me that some people have taken the huff because they weren't one of the ones "approached".

This really won't help the initiative get off the ground at all, so thanks lads, big help here.

I asked once who sits on Onethistle and received nil response, if it's not a closed shop would it be so hard to let the other supporters know who sits on it?

It's never been a secret. I've named myself as being involved, so have Davie and Jim. People like Lance and Tom Hosie are involved, but then they have been volunteering for the club long before the one thistle project was conceived. It is NOT a closed shop, and it is not an official "committee" type structure with all of us in blazers sitting round a boardroom table. It is very informal, Davie and I have only had one meeting at Firhill to date, and this was a basically a drink and a bite to eat before a game. Maxi came and said hello, Lance was there briefly, and so was Jim. That was to discuss the move to the north stand. Again, very informal. There were then several emails exchanged regarding the last game of last season, which I couldn't be involved in due to exams and coursework at uni.

I detailed all this in a post a few months back in an effort to prove it wasn't a closed shop. And here I am again.