Sell Out Saturday - Falkirk (H) 11Th August

Tom Stronach

Most of you will probably have heard of the Sell Out Saturday idea started by Aberdeen fans, where they are trying to get every SPL club to sell out their first home game to compensate for the loss of the Rangers travelling support and to show that clubs can thrive without relying on the Old Firm.

Let's do our best to see if we can attract a bumper crowd of our own by asking lapsed fans or friends who don't normally come to Firhill to attend our first home game against Falkirk.

The first home game usually draws an inflated crowd anyway and you would expect Falkirk to bring at least 1000 through. So if we can all bring at least one extra person with us, we could be looking at a really healthy crowd. So get asking and do your best to bring some along and let everyone know how you get on by posting in this thread.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good idea but there is no point in the club pushing this on the website or anything because lets be honest if we half fill it we will be doing exceptionally well, we would be guaranteed to fail at selling out.

Consider the benefits of the Club - and that should include us, cos I really like this One Thistle banner - trying our very very best to maximise support on the 11th.

o We get involved in this push - and don't show as being apathetic to the rest of Scotland who may well be watching!!

o We demonstrate the power of the fans to all and sundry - OK I mean our Board

o We share some solidarity with the visiting fans - before kickoff

o We show off our 2012-13 team - who hopefully turn in such a performance that gates take a very welcome hike upwards thereafter

o and we keep this up for a good few games - not just the 11th

o and lastly our away support put on a show of supporting Scottish football - again before kick-off and the fun begins.

Sounds better to me that not engaging?

Be really good to see a bumper crowd at Firhill (and at other games) on 1th August, but fear our last 5 board/sevco statements won't have helped that possibility, but with a few weeks to go, there is still time to work on attracting new, lapsed, and even passing through paying customers through the turnstiles.

Okay, perhaps selling out the ground is a bit unrealistic, but we should certainly be aiming for 5 or 6k at least. All we really have to do as fans is spread the word via social networking sites to other jags fans and through other forums like Pieandbovril. We don't even need to get the club involved at all, although additional help wouldn't go a miss. Even convincing one mate to come along would go a long way. It can't be that hard, can it?

I realise this might be a somewhat unpalatable idea to some, but we've probably got as much goodwill coming our way from Celtic fans as we're ever likely to get, and Celtic are playing a 'challenge match' in the US against Real Madrid that day, so might be worth encouraging those Celtic fans you do know to show their support for Scottish football by coming along to Firhill that day.

A facebook event page has been set up. "Sell Out Saturday - Partick Thistle vs Falkirk". Please take the time to join the group and invite as many people as you can.

Let's spread the word as much as possible.

I intend to e-mail the club tomorrow to try and take this a stage further.

Great idea and a bit surprised that there's nothing on P&B about this. Albeit not surprised enough to start a topic...

I'm playing in a mixed hockey tournament with the wife that day in Anniesland, due to finish at 3.30pm. Had initially thought there was no way I'd get away but might run this past the wife and offer to pay her in - given how much I've bored her with newco crap this summer she might just be interested in attending...

I like the idea but the name is keech, the zombie h*ns will be calling it our SOS! Rename it something like Thistle be a sell out or Thistle be a full house ( with the empty main stand, half filled north stand and the big empty grassy bit behind the other goal)

I was hoping the thread wouldn't go down this route.

I only called it "Sell Out Saturday" as that was the name given by the Aberdeen fans who came up with the idea originally and it's the name being adopted by fans across the country.

The main issue here is getting as many arses on seats as possible on the 11th.

It would be good to hear from fans who have decided to go who were not originally planning to and from any people who have managed to convince mates to attend. So far, I've managed to convince two lapsed Jags and an armchair Rangers fan to go.

I was hoping the thread wouldn't go down this route.

I only called it "Sell Out Saturday" as that was the name given by the Aberdeen fans who came up with the idea originally and it's the name being adopted by fans across the country.

The main issue here is getting as many arses on seats as possible on the 11th.

It would be good to hear from fans who have decided to go who were not originally planning to and from any people who have managed to convince mates to attend. So far, I've managed to convince two lapsed Jags and an armchair Rangers fan to go.

Is that their new name?

I've managed to harass an extra two family members into attending.

Just had a thought - why don't we turn this into a wearethistle competition? The poster to snare the most extra fans gets... well, kudos from the rest of us.

It's got to be a good idea, and certainly can't do any harm.

Anyone have the skills to muster some kind of poster advertising this?

Some sort of poster is an excellent idea. We could really push this by advertising heavily around the city centre if possible, selling it as Glasgow's only game this weekend with the clear message of under 16's go free.We could even try things like putting posters up in Greaves advertising the game and make tickets available for purchase in the stores.I, along with a few others are quite happy to keep up the campaign on the social networking sites and through various forums. I posted on the Falkirk forum earlier and will be targeting a couple of Celtic forums when time allows. We could really use a few people who have experience in the marketing field or people who are in a position to create posters etc. This would help take the idea onto a higher level.