Just In From Eep

jags on tour

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't the Thistle I know...

Once we went ahead, I never really expected us not to win - I can't remember the last time I could have said that. Some of the play in the second half was a bit edge of the seat stuff but our defence was heroic.

I fully expect Dunfermline to be challenging throughout the season but I don't know what game Jefferies was watching if he thought they dominated the second half. I think it would be fair to say they had marginally more possession than us in the second 45 minutes but in no shape or form did they dominate us. The only domination on that pitch was from Archie, Muirhead, O'Donnell, Bannigan, Paton and Shug who dealt with everything that Dunfermline tried to conjure. Fox didn't even have to make a save all day.

Iain Brines made some baffling decisions throughout the game. How on earth was Potter not sent off!? He bloody caught the ball! Someone will need to show me where in the rulebook it says that a blatant handball and denying a goalscoring opportunity only warrants a yellow card. Sheer lunacy, from both Brines and Potter. The booking of Lawless was completely ridiculous too. On two occasions in the second half, he played an advantage when there was none to be gained; one for another handball in Dunfermline's left corner and one for a high foot which Shug nearly took right on his napper. Simply awful refereeing.

A couple of contenders for Man of the Match; Paton, particularly in the second half, was colossal and was, at times, unbeatable. O'Donnell kept up his recent good form with another excellent performance; he has really improved defensively and isn't getting caught half-way up the pitch like last season. Doolan put in a power of work and gave Dowie and Potter a torrid time - he's the perfect player for the system we're using just now. But, for me, Shug was the Man of the Match; he was everywhere. He was more involved this week as he didn't play as deep as he did against Falkirk which allowed him to get from box-to-box. He used the ball well, was never rushed and he won, more or less, every tackle he went for...apart from one where he completely done the boy but made it look like he slipped! Only wish we had signed him sooner.

Archie had a dodgy five minute spell in the first half but came through it to have another great game; he and Muirhead are forming a very decent partnership. Muirhead took another hit in the face, following the elbow smash from Tuesday night, but just got on with it. That's what I like about him, he is no-nonsense and is a tough cookie. Like Tuesday's game, Bannigan took a little while to settle and, early on, it looked like Dunfermline were targeting him as Gallacher was aiming every kick-out (and very accurately, may I add) towards him. However, he grew into the game and was excellent again. I thought we might have moved him into midfield as the game wore on and brought Sinclair on for his height and pace but he wasn't needed.

Lawless is looking like the signing of the summer. Greatest compliment I can pay him is that we aren't missing Cairney in the slightest. If the boy Pollock, who is expected to sign, is anything like him, we're onto a winner. Erskine had a good game and looked a threat whenever he got on the ball but should definitely have added a second; it was a sitter.

Special mention to Welsh, who was also excellent, for making a miraculous recovery after, only days earlier, looking like the Elephant Man. He's a cracking player.

The players seem genuinely appreciative of our support which, in days gone by, couldn't always be said. There does seem to be a camaraderie and a "we're all in it together" mentality about the squad, the management and the fans which can only be positive.

If we can add another player or two, we're in with a right good chance this season. Trying to see if funds allow to purchase a season ticket to try and help this happen.

Great three points, great team peformance and a great day. Collectively the team worked their baws off and it could and maybe should have been more than 1v0. I have finally saw us win at East End Park.

That was a huge win yesterday.

That's three wins there in the last four seasons and a couple of draws. No longer Ground Hoodoo.

Highlights are up allready http://ptfc.co.uk/me...rmline_athletic

Few things to note:

Potter's hand ball wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity, it was barely even in the Dunfermline half, so yellow it probably right. It would be the same if he had pulled Doolan back. From people's descriptions on here and P&B I had assumed the hand ball was just outside the box.

That keep ball is all well and good, but is it really a highlight that our defence could pass back and forth against a team playing one man up front? In the end what happened, we couldn't find a way through and lost the ball with a through ball about 50 yards from goal. If we can do the same when we're winning then fair enough, but that was at 0-0.

From Paton's strike past the post and some of the other descriptions of him the last couple of weeks it seems he is the young David Rowson.

We need to be more clinical, they gifted us chances that we failed to take.

Few things to note:

That keep ball is all well and good, but is it really a highlight that our defence could pass back and forth against a team playing one man up front? In the end what happened, we couldn't find a way through and lost the ball with a through ball about 50 yards from goal.

I agree. We should punt the ball forward immediately so we lose possession earlier :)

That keep ball is all well and good, but is it really a highlight that our defence could pass back and forth against a team playing one man up front? In the end what happened, we couldn't find a way through and lost the ball with a through ball about 50 yards from goal. If we can do the same when we're winning then fair enough, but that was at 0-0.

Yip, you're Scottish :thumbsup2:

Few things to note:

Potter's hand ball wasn't a clear goalscoring opportunity, it was barely even in the Dunfermline half, so yellow it probably right. It would be the same if he had pulled Doolan back. From people's descriptions on here and P&B I had assumed the hand ball was just outside the box.

From Paton's strike past the post and some of the other descriptions of him the last couple of weeks it seems he is the young David Rowson.

We need to be more clinical, they gifted us chances that we failed to take.

Isnt that the basis of football?? keep possession? Remember that the opposition have to work to get the ball and that is extremely sapping. Also, it shows that Thistle WANT to play it from the back rather than a Martin O'Neil hump up the park.!! Keep it going lads!!

I agree. We should punt the ball forward immediately so we lose possession earlier :)

My main point was that it wasn't really a highlight. It was quite boring and a waste of the limited time available on these highlights. If it is a sign of our aim to play from the back, it culminated in a useless long 'pass' forward because we didn't really know how to get into the final third. It didn't tire out the Dunfermline defence as it never got near the Dunfermline defence in that passage of play. I wasn't there though, so I can't say how effective it was as a whole, but I just don't see why that is on the highlights.

My main point was that it wasn't really a highlight. It was quite boring and a waste of the limited time available on these highlights. If it is a sign of our aim to play from the back, it culminated in a useless long 'pass' forward because we didn't really know how to get into the final third. It didn't tire out the Dunfermline defence as it never got near the Dunfermline defence in that passage of play. I wasn't there though, so I can't say how effective it was as a whole, but I just don't see why that is on the highlights.

I think it may have just been a celebration of the fact that we managed to retain possession of the ball for almost 2 minutes - something I imagine has never happened before in the history of the club (tongue in cheek btw ;))

Edited by Lanarkjag

I'm pretty sure that passage of play led to the throw in, which then led to the goal...I know the highlights could be edited to make it look like that, but I don't think they have been.

Sorry, don't agree.

I enjoyed watching that section of the highlights. It literally does "highlight" how good we have become at keeping possession of the ball. in an away match this is even more remarkable. Great passing, great movement, great possession. Good set of highlights :thumbsup2:

Sorry, don't agree.

I enjoyed watching that section of the highlights. It literally does "highlight" how good we have become at keeping possession of the ball. in an away match this is even more remarkable. Great passing, great movement, great possession. Good set of highlights :thumbsup2:

:thumbsup2:

I really don't understand the mentality of the average Scottish football fan. We're playing the best football we've played in as long as I can remember yet it's met with derision from some because, to them, keeping the ball is pointless.

I can only presume people of this perspective haven't played football at any level as they would be aware how tiring it is chasing the opposition whilst they pass it around you.

:thumbsup2:

I really don't understand the mentality of the average Scottish football fan. We're playing the best football we've played in as long as I can remember yet it's met with derision from some because, to them, keeping the ball is pointless.

I can only presume people of this perspective haven't played football at any level as they would be aware how tiring it is chasing the opposition whilst they pass it around you.

I understand the tactic and am happy this is how we're playing. As you say making the opposition do the hard work is always going to benefit us and seems to be the way all the most successful teams are playing now too. I just don't find three defenders passing it back and forth entertaining, especially on video. Perhaps if I was there and could see the movement of the whole team I'd find it more entertaining.

I understand the tactic and am happy this is how we're playing. As you say making the opposition do the hard work is always going to benefit us and seems to be the way all the most successful teams are playing now too. I just don't find three defenders passing it back and forth entertaining, especially on video. Perhaps if I was there and could see the movement of the whole team I'd find it more entertaining.

Should have pointed out that I wasn't specifically directing that at you, Twinny. There are an abundance of guys, especially around me at Firhill, who seem stuck in the dark ages and would happily go home with whiplash after watching the ball get battered from end-to-end.

Firstly guys, congratulations on your victory. I did come on here last Saturday and say I felt you'se would win yesterday, and I was proved correct.

The team you guys have in comparison to ours is similar, in terms of the calibre of player and the experience and youth mixed throughout the team. However, Jackie has been building your team up for 12-18 months now and your players are prepared and ready for the physical side of the first division - to do the dirty work as well as the nice, neat football you guys offer. On the other hand, the Pars are a new team, with a lot of young players in it - take our midfield for example; 20, 19, 23 and 25 yesterday at the start. It isn't as experienced in first team football and you guys dominated that area of the park for this reason, IMO.

However, in no way am I taking in credit away from you'se...you totally deserved your win, IMO, and were completely comfortable for the full 90 minutes. We never worked Scott Fox nearly enough with only tame efforts to show for our effort. Furthermore, on another day, if you guys had maybe had a wee bit more of a cutting edge you'se could have had 3,4 or even 5. Dunfermline need at least 1 new CB in to fill in for Potter, who is a complete bombscare (the handball incident yesterday...wtf?!!) and until this replacement is signed and settled in, we won't win many games - comfortably anyway. I feel the Jags will romp the league - Livi, Hamilton, ourselves, Falkirk are all too young and not ready to challenge a full season; Raith, Airdrie, Dumbarton & Cowdenbeath have too small a squad, with many/most of their players only being part time. Any challenge from these teams will fade as the season progresses. Your biggest rivals for the SFL1 trophy, IMO, will be Morton - but they are far too inconsistent for me, with their new team still trying to gel also.

In conclusion, I feel Partick deserved their victory yesterday, and I stand by my stance of you guys to win the league.

Lastly, for those who travelled through yesterday, I hope you'se enjoyed your day at EEP - I hope to see you'se back their supporting the Jags again soon!

... I hope you'se enjoyed your day at EEP - I hope to see you'se back their supporting the Jags again soon!

Thanks, DAFC. Couple of non-football comments:

* any chance the stadium announcer could shut up? Or at least cool it a bit? The volume alone, never mind the inane drivel, really did my head in. For example, when introducing the paralympian at half-time, we were told in ear-splitting volume that he will be "doing the 100m backstroke, and the 200m freestyle..." Fair enough, but then the anouncer shrieked "...in the swimming pool". I think we'd all worked that bit out...

* no stake pies by 2:50. Pretty poor! Fair enough, more appeared later, but that was a bit shoddy.

* finally, Bridies at EEP used to be the best anywhere. However, you have ditched the firm that used to do them ("Stephen's", I think we were?). New ones are okay, but just not the same...

Stonewall red card, their guy doesn't catch it and Doolan's away on goal. The other defender wouldn't have got across anywhere near in time.

Thanks to all concerned for the quick highlights, the geographically challenged love them especially when winning.

th

thanks for that,i noticed the ref booked him for it and he looked as though he was saying

that lawless took his top over his head,which he never,just another decision the ref got wrong,their

centre half should have walked when he almost caught the ball when doolan was through on goal

The ref was actually correct with the caution. By putting his shirt behind his head the way he did is interpreted as removing the shirt, which is a mandatory caution. Hope it doesn't bite him in the b-- later in the season

Excellent highlights.

I'm never sure of the "denying a clear cut scoring" thingy but on seeing it again using my flawed judgment think the ref got it right. Quite glad in a way as beating a team down to ten men takes something away from the win. Besides keeping Potter on was hardly a minus from our point of view.

I can see where Twinny is coming from re the possession cameo but personally I'm glad it's in the video. Imo the possession stuff we now do is the most significant development in our game. One of my biggest criticism of recent teams was passing the ball to someone in a worse position (passing the buck). Some good players were guilty of that but just now our passing game is far more professional.