Lay Off Chris Erskine

Jago1953

Chris Erskine is worth the admission money for his unorthodox but entertaining skills.Who cares if it does not always come off.At least he is doing what every professional

player should do- he entertains.

Instead of abusing the player when it goes wrong give him a cheer shrug your shoulders and say Thats our Chris.

Big Denis was the same.Sometimes he was Messi othertimes messy but again he was entertaining.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris Erskine is worth the admission money for his unorthodox but entertaining skills.Who cares if it does not always come off.At least he is doing what every professional

player should do- he entertains.

Instead of abusing the player when it goes wrong give him a cheer shrug your shoulders and say Thats our Chris.

Big Denis was the same.Sometimes he was Messi othertimes messy but again he was entertaining.

What he said! :thumbsup2::happy2::thumbsup2:

He's an entertaining player, yes, but also an extremely frustrating one at times so you can't blame folk for voicing their disgruntlement, especially lapsed fans who are returning and are perhaps not privy to his unpredictability.

Edited by Armand2

I think you can blame people for having a go at Erskine, whether they're privy to his unpredictability or not. I have no problem with people getting on players backs if they aren't trying, but getting on their backs when they are trying and some things don't come off (as they inevitably won't) is pointless. The amount of running and harrying defenders that Erskine in particular does is excellent, and a significant part of our good start to the season. Of course not everything comes off for him, but if it did he'd be somewhere else. He's entertaining, hard working and provides the spark we need at times, he needs encouragement not heckling.

I've been saying this his entire time, he took a bit of time to settle and was frustrating back then and now some people seem to refuse to change their attitude. Lets look at the evidence...

Scores goals

Never hides

Works his arse off tracking back

Knows how to beat a man

Runs with the ball at his feet

Is direct

Not afraid to try a bit of skill/trickery

Entertains

He is one of my favourite players of all time.

Can't recall any negative comments or anything else towards Chris last night. Erskine is a very important player for us.

You obviously weren't near me in the stand. Some of the abuse hurled at the players from the "fans" around me last night was incredible!

I love watching Chris Erskine. He's incredibly entertaining and sublime far more than ridiculous these days. I can see how you might be frustrated at times, but before you get these feelings just remember all the moments of skill from the past few seasons!

so let's sing to him to show our support ....... Mama Mia !!

:innocent2: Chris Erskine

We've been treated by Chris since this game began

So we’ll sing you a song cos we know you’re the man.

(Ha!) Look at them now, will they ever learn?

They don't know how but he got such good ball control

and he going straight for their goal.

Just one cross and we can hear the shed sing,

one more goal and we forget everything

wou-ou.

Watch Chris Erskine watch him go again. My my, how can they resist you?

Watch Chris Erskine put on a show again. My my how they gonna stop you?

Yes, we've been so glad hearted, as their defence he parted.

Shoot Shoot c’mon Chris just have a go.

Watch Chris Erskine, now we really know, Thistle, we could never let you go.

Edited by Shuggie

I can understand the Chris erskine love-in as I love watching him, he is everything good mentioned on this thread. I can't understand why some people can't see how frustrating he can be.

Case in point, I must have said 'FFS Erskine wrong choice again' on Saturday at least 3 times. I gave a big 'AAAARRRRRGGGGHHH' against Dunfermline and Dumbarton coz on both occasions he should have just put his foot through the ball. Then the big man puts us 2-0 up On Saturday and I'm giving it we're not worthy signals. That for me is Chris Erskine and typifies Thistle...frustrating at times but feckin magic.

I don't consider what I've said to be abuse, and hope anyone around me at the game isn't thinking I'm a 'bampot'. What was said last night that constitutes abuse (wasn't there btw so it wisnae me :) )?

Edited by Steven H

• Members

To be fair to Chris, a lot of folk are saying he missed a sitter on Saturday, I think the defender on the line made a fantastic clearance. Sometimes it's hard to keep those cutbacks down and for me, Chris was concentrating on getting the ball on target which is always the best policy. More chance of the ball going in if it's heading for goal to start with.

Don't get me wrong, there has been games when he hasn't been good at all and nothing has went right for him. This season though, as with other players you can see something a little different in him. All the victories aside, he himself has improved his game in different aspects. One two's, dragging defenders out from their positions to make space for LAwless and Doolan, his crossing and passing on the desk has been been much better and crisper. You and I know defenders of other teams in the leage hate playing against him.

I'd say, on top of all the optimism at present it's the best time to really get behind him. I have a feeling that he'd thrive on us singing us his name for large spells of the game.

To be fair to Chris, a lot of folk are saying he missed a sitter on Saturday, I think the defender on the line made a fantastic clearance. Sometimes it's hard to keep those cutbacks down and for me, Chris was concentrating on getting the ball on target which is always the best policy. More chance of the ball going in if it's heading for goal to start with.

I agree the Dumbarton one wasn't a sitter, and it was a good block by the defender...just felt placing it was the wrong option.

Hypothetical question:

If PTFC got promoted to the SPL, would you give Chris Erskine a new contract?

For me, no. While he is capable of the sublime, he too often fails to do the basics(like controlling the ball). He is definitely a luxury player.

Hypothetical question:

If PTFC got promoted to the SPL, would you give Chris Erskine a new contract?

For me, no. While he is capable of the sublime, he too often fails to do the basics(like controlling the ball). He is definitely a luxury player.

I would definitely give him a new contract. He is still improving, and can only get better.

Is this really a big problem, or just folk getting precious about rantings from a few individuals dotted around the crowd? I must sit in a pro-Erskine area at Firhill because I never hear anything like the abuse that's being described and the same goes for away games. You get the odd (quite literally sometimes) frustrated groan or "aw f**ks sake" but that is nothing. I'm guilty of it myself but I imagine it's probably exactly how the player feels himself when a mistake is made. Will the player really bother about one or two fuds venting when the vast majority of a vocal crowd are behind him 100%? It happens at every team, players just get on with it. If you think someone's being OTT then call them on it.