Hugh Murray

erty13

Regarding Murray's sending off yesterday, I've been looking at Tommy's photo of the incident. I know it's not conclusive, and I don't have a clue about these things, but it looks to me as if Murray was the one who got the studs up treatment, and the Morton boy was pretty unlucky to get hurt. I'm not making a moral point here, just an observational one. And if its any contributoy evidence, Morton seemed quite happy to let our players have a look at the soles of their feet on a number of occasions yesterday...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hugh Murray is a hero. If the Morton player hadn't shat out of the challenge it'd have been perfect. However he did, and he got what he deserved; a broken leg.

Congratulations on your first kill, Hugh.

You're famous.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php/topic/188709-is-this-the-most-disgusting-post-on-a-fans-forum/

Lets not forget, his game is built around letting folk know who the boss is.

He may have been on a booking, it may have been in the middle if the park. But it was a 50/50 ball, both players went in with the intention if winning it... And Murray won the ball.

He didn't go in over the top and didn't go in two footed.

C'mon, big man, I think you're grasping at straws somewhat here. I'm happy to wait to see it again on the highlights (though I doubt the camera angle will offer much in the way of conclusive evidence) but, at the time, I thought it was late, dangerous and I certainly didn't think he won the ball. To go into such a tackle whilst on a yellow card is playing with fire, in my opinion, and I would have hoped Shug's experience would have prevented him doing so.

But, hey ho, what's done is done. Shug has been excellent for us so far this season and I'm sure he'll continue to be so on his return. A bit of a shame that he's going to miss the Airdrie game though as we could have done with him in a game that I suspect will have a bit of needle to it.

C'mon, big man, I think you're grasping at straws somewhat here. I'm happy to wait to see it again on the highlights (though I doubt the camera angle will offer much in the way of conclusive evidence) but, at the time, I thought it was late, dangerous and I certainly didn't think he won the ball. To go into such a tackle whilst on a yellow card is playing with fire, in my opinion, and I would have hoped Shug's experience would have prevented him doing so.

But, hey ho, what's done is done. Shug has been excellent for us so far this season and I'm sure he'll continue to be so on his return. A bit of a shame that he's going to miss the Airdrie game though as we could have done with him in a game that I suspect will have a bit of needle to it.

Although the Morton game wasn't really any kind of needle match, it seemed to me that the Morton players pretty much out-muscled ours on most occasions, with the exception of Craig in the first half, who gave as good as he got. Lawless, in particular, seemed to be subdued by the Morton players' physical toughness. Easy to say in retrospect, but I wonder how Elliott and Craig might have done together, as Elliott can also mix it physically with big defenders.

Although the Morton game wasn't really any kind of needle match, it seemed to me that the Morton players pretty much out-muscled ours on most occasions, with the exception of Craig in the first half, who gave as good as he got. Lawless, in particular, seemed to be subdued by the Morton players' physical toughness...

I agree, but some of the problem comes from referees being too concerned about upsetting players and/or the crowd. If they were consistent about stopping the physical side of the game, yes, there would be loads of moaning Minnies with their slogans ("It's a man's game, ref!' 'It's a contact sport!'), but just look at how much benefit that approach has brought to the Scottish game. We've all seen the turgid, stodgy play where poor ball control and fear of a tackle lead to an over-dependence on lumping up the park. even at the highest level here. A few seasons ago, it seemed that referees in Scotland were trying to wrench football into the 21st century (and being castigated for being pernickety), but it looks as if they're sliding back to the early 20th. I don't know what the solution is, but even on the limited highlights we see, it's obvious that some serious physical attacks are being made on the field of play. Perhaps an officials' panel (not including those present on the field of play) should review all match recordings afterwards, and add extra penalties as they see fit. Maybe if players had to watch out for cameras as well as officials, they'd have to mind their behaviour.

Watching the highlights - I think Murray has been unlucky.

His first booking was harsh, looks to me like he got a bit of the ball.

You could argue that he was a bit daft to go in for the tackle for the 2nd booking, but that's what he's there to do. If he'd pulled out, no doubt you would have people on here calling him a sh*tebag.

Yep, I think he was very unlucky to have been booked for that, looks like he got most of the ball. That said, the challenge should have been made on the touchline but Shug's let him run inside. At the time, I thought it was a good foul as we were a bit short and it was worth taking a yellow for but, on second viewing, I don't even think it's a free-kick.

Watching the highlights - I think Murray has been unlucky.

You could argue that he was a bit daft to go in for the tackle for the 2nd booking, but that's what he's there to do. If he'd pulled out, no doubt you would have people on here calling him a sh*tebag.

I'm certainly in that camp.

From what I've seen of Murray and from what I've heard about him before he signed he appears to be a level headed sensible footballer whose normal position will dictate he receives an above average amount of yellow cards. Risking a second yellow given where he was on the park was neither level headed or sensible and I'm willing to accept.it was way out of character.

Btw I also noted that Paton picked up a booking cheaply as well. That's something that I thought he'd done away with so I hope that's out of character also.

• Members

But i've not really said anything offensive though, have i?

Clearly you've offended quite a few folk with your view of the incident. Perhaps not enough to make them report it, I don't know.

I recall when this forum was set up, the owner said it would be pretty much self-policed. So you're mistaken to say that the moderators have let it go unless you know for a fact that someone has complained?

How do we know him standing up didn't cause the break as opposed to the tackle? It would definitely have made the injury worse.

In football or any other contact-type sport, how often does an injured player standing up cause a leg to break? Surely if there's a break that would only be confirmed by x-ray; what's probably happened is that the physio has asked if he can put weight on it, then once he did he saw that he couldn't. The Morton player apparently turned a funny colour of white and nearly fainted; or is that still him faking it to ensure a red card? (The fainting bit was courtesy of a guy who gave me an earful in Morrisions yesterday when I was discussing this with a St Mirren fan. I gather Murray is / was a bit of a Love St hero. For that reason alone Morton fans hate him - as the chants when he was sent off testify!).

TBH, until the red card was pulled I don't think the home fans sounded too fussed. Indeed, the guy I spoke to said there was a crack as the players went in. He saw SFA in the challenge. I guess all part of football and I think it's a bit disingenuous to blame Murray for our defeat. IMO, we were out muscled in set pieces and having to cover a keeper who wasn't comfortable coming for high balls. But otherwise and for great parts of this game, we looked good and should have created more chances.

Edited by Meister Jag

Clearly you've offended quite a few folk with your view of the incident. Perhaps not enough to make them report it, I don't know.

I recall when this forum was set up, the owner said it would be pretty much self-policed. So you're mistaken to say that the moderators have let it go unless you know for a fact that someone has complained?

I have only just read what he wrote - poison like that has no place on this forum.

He has now been reported.

I have only just read what he wrote - poison like that has no place on this forum.

He has now been reported.

Good stuff MKJ, hell mend the bad bad man.

Now can we close this shambles of a thread... or at least change the title...

a couple of suggestions might be....

"the weekly scapegoat thread"

"the morton player thread"

"knicker wetters and the easily offended thread"

"the you don't share my opinion so you're wrong thread"

"its a discussion thread, well it's not reallty, but we'll say its a discussion to disguise its a lynch mob thread"

"the Gsus went fishing and hooked a big one thread"

Edited by potty trained