Captaincy For Dunfermline Game

Santana

Balatoni's recent form gives Jackie a dilemma over whether to bring back our club captain or to stick with Balatoni - who when playing in the past 4 games was part of a defence that has conceded just 1 goal in 4 games. If Jackie does decide to stick with Balatoni then the captain's armband will be up for grabs. Earlier on in the season I think Murray would've been handed the captaincy but I've been very impressed with Paton as captain. He leads by example and has been IMO our best player this season, and I think if Archie doesn't play we should have him as captain even if Murray/Rowson was to play.

Just want to know people#s thought on this.

As PT said, I don't think the choice of captain has a particular influence in football. The way the English media goes on about whoever the current England captain is has inflated our belief of the importance of such a choice.

All our more experienced players should be acting as leaders for the younger ones. Paton has now 'graduated' into being one of the more experienced players, so yes he could make a decent captain, but I don't think it matters all that much provided it wouldn't affect his own performance. I don't think it would. He was captain on Saturday, has he been captain on other occasions this season?

Archie's last game was against Morton- where we lost two identical headed goals from corner kicks. In fact, we looked vulnerable from set pieces all game. He also looked a bit 'leggy' against the pace of Campbell that day. Conrad is very good in the air and it's no coincidence that we have looked more solid at set pieces since he came in.

Balatoni to play with Paton as captain.

Danny Lennon was also pretty inspirational for us.

In terms of a captain, I have always found it hard to quantify what they do other than call heads or tails at the start of a game. Curiously though, all teams that I can think of that had any real degree of success had an “Inspirational captain” in their midst!. :thumbsup2:

Judging by the way Paton was rallying the players even as Craig was sloping off the pitch on Saturday, I think Paul is well on the way to being a pretty inspirational captain for us too. I am comfortable with either Archie or Paton as captain right now, but they need to be getting in the starting 11 on merit alone. Right now, that puts Paton in pole position!

Paton seems to really appreciate being captain, too. Every game that he's been given the armband he's tweeted/posted about being proud of the team afterwards, and received lots of encouraging responses. I'd like to see him as captain more often, even if that does mean Archie's legs are tired.

Balatoni to start cant possibly drop him the way he has been playing and Paul Paton taking the captains armband permanently Archie has had his day and we need the up and coming guys taking over.