Anybody Remember The Union Flag On Match Day Over The Main Stand ?

stuthejag

I certainly remember it - there was nothing sinister in it being flown - I seem to remember many clubs did it - perhaps they were more innocent times but nowadays one cheek of the Old firm ar5e has degraded the Union flag by flaunting it as a gesture of defiance whereas the other buttock flies a foreign flag in an attempt to affirm some sort of crypto-political identity.

Perhaps a pity that the sewage has been able to ascribe these symbols for themselves - and whilst they are not symbols I would readily associate with, they are now contaminated forever.

• Like 5

I remember the Union Flag flying on matchday's over the Main Stand to indicate the game was on (according to my auld man), anybody remember when this stopped ? I was thinking 1990 ?

That's it for me - I'm boycotting Firhill unless we have a minutes' silence/official apology/under 16s allowed in/statement from the Board....

Quite recently, we used to fly flags on the poles atop the JH on matchdays.

There used to be one for the home country of any foreign players we had on the staff, so you could see the Namibian flag (Quentin Jacobs), the Faroese flag (Mickelsen?) or the Spanish one for yon forward whose name escapes me now.....

Edited by Rid Skwerr

Quite recently, we used to fly flags on the poles atop the JH on matchdays.

There used to be one for the home country of any foreign players we had on the staff, so you could see the Namibian flag (Quentin Jacobs), the Faroese flag (Mickelsen?) or the Spanish one for yon forward whose name escapes me now.....

Juan Ramon Escalas and Gerry Britton.

Alan Dickson was there. When I interviewed him for the jagscast I meant to ask him about Honved after he'd told his story about the 71 cup final. Alas, I forgot. He's mentioned it a few times when there's been no tape recorder there though. He said that Gordon Peden was one of the others on that trip and took some footage on a "cine-camera". Wonder if that footage still exists?

"Only" 4,000 there, compared to 17,000 at Firhill for the 2nd leg.

Does anybody know for a fact that there was no programme for the 1st leg match? I've certainly never seen one, or heard of one.

As far as i am aware there was no programme for the 1st leg match. i can remember reading that there wasnt one, but cant remember where i read it!!!!!!

Donnie McBain who I go to the game's with was at the first leg.

He went by train, took him a day and a half from London. Went Glasgow to London, London to Dover, Dover to Ostend, Ostend to Vienna, Vienna to Budapest.

Was originally going on the TL Duff excursion by plane but was told it had been cancelled due to a lack of numbers.

He met a couple of Thistle supporters on the terracing called Alan Johnstone and Gordon McPhail.

He said there wasn't a programme for the game.

Coming back he slept in the East railway station at Budapest and got the train next day for another day and a half journey back to London.

• Like 1

Donnie McBain who I go to the game's with was at the first leg.

He went by train, took him a day and a half from London. Went Glasgow to London, London to Dover, Dover to Ostend, Ostend to Vienna, Vienna to Budapest.

Was originally going on the TL Duff excursion by plane but was told it had been cancelled due to a lack of numbers.

He met a couple of Thistle supporters on the terracing called Alan Johnstone and Gordon McPhail.

He said there wasn't a programme for the game.

Coming back he slept in the East railway station at Budapest and got the train next day for another day and a half journey back to London.

Legend!