Erskine Targeted

Dark Passenger

Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but it was mentioned in yesterday's Sunday Post that Chris Erskine is one of Pat Fenlon's top targets in the transfer window along with Dunfermline's Joe Cardle.

Apparently the Hibs boss has had them watched on a number of occasions and is now ready to make a move given both are out of contract in the summer.

Not saying it isn't true but Hibs have a lot of deadwood to shift before they can bring anyone else in- Summer or otherwise.

Their BoD went out on a limb to get Fenlon & back him this summer in transfer market with a lot of Calderwood & Hughes players still at the club.

They need a good top 6 finish or they are likely to be in full cost cutting mode.

i would expect more than just Hibs to be looking at him.

The lad is a stand out in the first division and offers more than just an attack minded winger.

As has been proved this season, he can play in a front 3, has goals in him and has really improved the defensive side of his game.

There is no way we could dream of competing with Hibs on wages, even if we were in a position of having won the league, i still doubt we would come close. Thats just the way things are and we should all accept that.

I wouldn't grudge him his move, should it come he's a genuine, nice guy who just loves playing football. But, i'd be gutted, maybe more than when Calum Campbell left to Kilmarnock, i still haven't got over that!

Sadly i dont think he will be the only one targeted, and likely to leave, but in all honesty, should they leave in January for a small fee (£30kish) then I trust McNamara to find a good replacement. He's done really well with his signings so far, with only 1 from memory not working out (his first signing too...)

I would rather have him as part of a league winning side and lose him for nothing than let him go for £30k in January.

Let's keep this team together for as long as possible.

This. Winning the league is worth more than 30k to us. In the summer there will be more players available to replace him with if necessary, in January fewer options will be available.

I would rather have him as part of a league winning side and lose him for nothing than let him go for £30k in January.

Let's keep this team together for as long as possible.

Agree. Any transfer fee in January is going to be a tiny token gesture. Keep him, offer him a beter contract, if we don't go up he can leave. If we do go up I reckon he might just stick around for another season to continue showing his stuff in the SPL in a team he knows.

It will do his career far better to be the focal point of our meteoric rise to the Champions League rather than risk floating around the Hibs bench.

• Like 1

There is no need to sell him for anything like £30K in January. Our finances, while not great, are at least stable, with the prospect of additional income from bigger crowds if we stay top, and also the Ramsden's to come.

And you never know, if we win promotion we could probably afford to (more than) double everybody's wage, so he and others might just be tempted to stay on.

• Like 1

My only fear would be if he signed a pre-contract in January and never tried a leg for the rest of the season, I'd love to see us offer him a 1 or 2 year extention before then

Don't think he's that sort.

For me, over the past couple of months, Erskine has noticeably stepped up a level, not too dissimilar to how Cairney did last year and Harkins before him. He's ready to step up a level - just hope he can do it with us.

ETA: For all his faults, nobody can deny that McCall had a knack of discovering a cracking player who we could get for peanuts. I know Bobby Dinnie did the scouting on Erskine (and Doolan, I believe) but McCall could be seen at many Junior games, looking at potential signings.

Edited by Armand2

I would be surprised if it's just Hibs, as any English club poking around up here will surely have seen him. I think we have to accept that we'll lose Erskine (and probably Doolan) at some point. Even in the SPL we wouldn't be able to compete with the likes of Hibs for wages, so we have to enjoy our good players while it lasts.

Still, I hope he sticks around for the rest of the season at least. He is one of our standout players this season and I think we would miss him more than Welsh and Paton.

Opposition clubs and clubs from further south are aware of our players I'm sure. However money is tight at all levels of the game in Scotland. Down South there is more money at some clubs especially in terms of wages. I don't think any of our current crop will be heading south in the near future, apart from Muirhead who has a lot of good attributes.

Doolan and Erskine have been good performers for us over the last few seasons. I'm sure they have been scouted manytimes but for whatever reasons have not moved on. This season we have some much improved performances. However it is not even half way through the season and some maybe reticent to take a chance on some of our higher earners?

Players may move on, I just hope we have Jackie and Sid in place to sign even better replacements for the next two and a half seasons anyway ;)

They still have a number of players on loan. If they fail to agree extensions then I see no reason why they would fail to make a move on players they've scouted.

Not sure about that.

They've got a young lad from Man City & Grffiths (who if the story's true, is desperate to sign if clubs can agree a package) but they've brought guys like Doyle, McPake & Maybury as well as the keeper. They've also a couple of guys out on loan.

I've absolutely no doubt they're interested in Erskine as a few others will be but I stand by what I said about needing a top 6 finish.

Apologies if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but it was mentioned in yesterday's Sunday Post that Chris Erskine is one of Pat Fenlon's top targets in the transfer window along with Dunfermline's Joe Cardle.

Apparently the Hibs boss has had them watched on a number of occasions and is now ready to make a move given both are out of contract in the summer.

he was at the cup game against Dunfermlane

I think Erskine would be a massive loss actually. We really don't have much strength in depth at all with our wingers, and Lawless is ineffective in say 1 out of 3 games. Maybe Bannigan/Sinclair could step forward into the left sided winger role, but I don't think they'd get the same amount of goals as Erskine.

I think we need to roll the dice on this one unless we get a stupid offer. We're pretty strict on budget, and are performing above what's expected in attendances, so I don't think we massively need the money. It's not the same as when Harkins was attracting interest for example.

I've heard Hibs are after more than just Erskine, although don't know who the others are. I'd imagine O'Donnell would be the one but who knows. Won't be Welsh thankfully considering him and Fenlon hate each other.

I've noticed Fenlon at a few games this season. One of them Hamilton away, so he wouldn't have been impressed by what he witnessed on that occasion. Quite surprised that Erskine is a target because I was reading in the Edinburgh Evening News the other week that Hibs had a whole batch of young players ready to burst into the first team. If Erskine does go in the January window I would like to think that our management team would be able to replace him with a player of similar quality. Hope he doesn't go though!