Strachan For Scotland

chunky jag

It's a decent shout. I actually thought the SFA might ignore Strachan and bring in another YES man that would always back them up in whatever daft decision they made.

Hoping that Strachan won't change and will always speak his mind. Glad he's got the job.

I agree. Levein changed very quickly from an opinionated man to another yes man. I can't see Strachan making the same transformation. Parallels can be drawn from his Champions League record with Celtic to what is needed from a national team manager (except the obvious fact you can't buy players).

I saw Lagerback was interviewed by some paper recently and got my hopes up about him, but he's currently in the iceland job and hasn't even been there for long. He's always seemed interested whenever the Scotland job came up and had a great record with Sweden, so I feel we'll need to take him sometime or we'll have missed out. I'm still mildly excited with Strachan in the job though.

Gary McAllister is a very good shout too.

Why was Levein a "Yes" man? He picked the team and formation and made his own mistakes. The SFA have done a lot in terms of changing their governance and youth work including regional centres of excellence led by Mark Wotte which should be recognised and not blurred by other issues like "Armageddon". I thought Levein appointment was a good thing. I was proven very wrong and have a disappointing trip to Wales and half a Hampden season ticket remaining as punishment.

Don't see Gary MacAllister being involved considering he is the new head coach of the New York Red Bulls MLS franchise. Working under Roxburgh and Houllier. Also he has previously applied for the role in his own right. So may not be happy to play second fiddle?

I hope it's not Gary Pendrey :P

Would be good to bring in young managers like Jackie to work with the team on a rotating basis to keep things fresh. Did we not do something like this under Vogts?

Why was Levein a "Yes" man? He picked the team and formation and made his own mistakes. The SFA have done a lot in terms of changing their governance and youth work including regional centres of excellence led by Mark Wotte which should be recognised and not blurred by other issues like "Armageddon". I thought Levein appointment was a good thing. I was proven very wrong and have a disappointing trip to Wales and half a Hampden season ticket remaining as punishment.

Levein can be accused of many things, but being a yes man should never be one of them. On the contrary, maybe if he hadn't been so pig-headed and stubborn his tenure wouldn't have been as

disastrous as it was.

Anyway, those days are past now, as the song goes ... :)

Don't see Gary MacAllister being involved considering he is the new head coach of the New York Red Bulls MLS franchise. Working under Roxburgh and Houllier. Also he has previously applied for the role in his own right. So may not be happy to play second fiddle?

Would be good to bring in young managers like Jackie to work with the team on a rotating basis to keep things fresh. Did we not do something like this under Vogts?

Don't think so. IIRC Vogts stuck with Tommy Burns as his assistant. Craig Brown had a number of different assistants during his time in charge though.

What an uninspiring appointment!! The SFA should have thought out of the box with this appointment. No imagination about this choice.

Strachan has a lot of the same qualities as Levein, pigheaded, huffy and throws his toys out of the pram now and again.

This is another media darling appointment. i suspect he wont be Scotland boss after two years. Either he wont hack it and walk away, or take an offer from down south!!

McAllister has not got that job. The Bulls have denied offering it to him.

What an uninspiring appointment!! The SFA should have thought out of the box with this appointment. No imagination about this choice.

Strachan has a lot of the same qualities as Levein, pigheaded, huffy and throws his toys out of the pram now and again.

This is another media darling appointment. i suspect he wont be Scotland boss after two years. Either he wont hack it and walk away, or take an offer from down south!!

Except, unlike Levein, Strachan has actually achieved things, both as a player and as a manager. He also won't have the team beaten before they take to the pitch, unlike Mr. 4-6-0.

Except, unlike Levein, Strachan has actually achieved things, both as a player and as a manager. He also won't have the team beaten before they take to the pitch, unlike Mr. 4-6-0.

Glad as I am that Avril was given the bullet, I'd still be keen to see him formally charged by Proc Fiscal on the grounds of crimes against football in addition to treason.

Anyway, pleased Strachan's got the job; he'll keep us entertained and will actually try to win games. Good, too, that he's got a few games to 'play' with before the next campaign.

I was impressed with the press conference yesterday.

It's not often you hear a manager admitting he got it wrong, and Strachan's acknowledgement of the mistakes he made at Middlesborough was refreshing. If Levein could do the same instead of trying to sue people, he might get back in to the game a bit quicker.

• Like 3

^ Strachan tore up his Middlesborough contract which had 2.5 years to run. That decision must have cost him a fortune. You have to admire his honesty and integrity.

Btw, Wikipedia says that George Mackie (53 games for the Jags) was his best man.

^ Strachan tore up his Middlesborough contract which had 2.5 years to run. That decision must have cost him a fortune. You have to admire his honesty and integrity.

Btw, Wikipedia says that George Mackie (53 games for the Jags) was his best man.

Never knew he completely tore up his contract, that is really quite something. Maximum respect for the guy now.

George Mackie, what a player, full back, solid build with blonde hair circa 1976/1977

Edited by partickthedog