Bollox

angry gaz

We can be encouraged that we're left with a strengthened team and a setup, with a general manager in charge of running the club, that allows the board to choose good coaches to succeed McNamara and, probably, Donnelly. That may not be such a hard task as choosing an overall manager, especially since there are at least two potential candidates among the current players.

Whit?

Dundee United are a far bigger club than Thistle.

If he was unambitious he would've stayed with us.

It is hardly a huge leap forward. Their attendance against Ross County was 5117 ... not a million miles away from our crowds; and I'm sure it was mentioned on the radio that that was basically their season ticket holders, with barely anyone paying at the gate. I don't know how many United fans will be enthused with McNamara's appointment - will they have a boost in attendance?. They don't really have any money. How long will he be alright if things don't go well?

He's walked away from winning two trophies this season. Does he think he'll be challenging Celtic before Rangers return to the SPL/whatever it will be called? Perhaps he should consider Ian McCall and how well the Dundee United job worked out for him ...

His relative success has obviously been recognised and he has left us to progress to a bigger club - if he is relatively successful there he might get a crack at a bigger team thereafter - that's the way football management works. Good luck to him I say - time will tell if he is a success in their terms.

Personally I didn't think he would go - although he would have been cheaper to get than the others I always thought the lack of a direct link to his new club might have counted against him, Chairmen and Boards of Directors tend to go for old boys just to keep the fans onside. I was wrong. :happy2:

I'm raging! If he stated he would go at the end of the season then fine. The fact that he has left in the middle of a promotion campaign and us in a cup final is farcical. He could have had a treble with a manager of the year award as well, what does he hope to achieve in 6 months at Tannadice? Other clubs would have approached him at the end of the season. Now the board will go for another cheap, inexperienced option (Collins, Whyte, Britton). McNamara was on course to be a success but his track record will now show one decent half season. I really feel he's not done enough yet at Division 1 level and will end up like McCall did at Tannadice.

Kind of get the feeling that Utd may have been lining him up for the end of the season anyway. (Utter speculation)

Something has obviously happened with Houston and the inevitable was brought forward.

Absolutely gutting midway through the season - would have thought Jackie would have at least seen this one out before moving on.

The important thing now is to appoint someone with the same philosophy - buggered if I know who it should be though!