Managerial Shortlist

GrantB

Is Archie on anyone else's short list?

Of all the players saying Archie should get the job... How many are signed up for next season?

How many want their pal to get the job, but if we don't go up, will leave in the summer?

How many of these vocal players are willing to sign a contract extension if Archie gets the job?

Edited by potty trained

Is Archie on anyone else's short list?

Of all the players saying Archie should get the job... How many are signed up for next season?

How many want their pal to get the job, but if we don't go up, will leave in the summer?

How many of these vocal players are willing to sign a contract extension if Archie gets the job?

Do you think that bringing in a different manager would increase the number of players willing to sing a contract extension?

Guest fredthecheesecloth

The people calling for Archi to get the job on here will be the same people who start squealing as/when we hit a bad patch.

Points above by potty trained are absolutely spot on as well.

To add more:

What if Alan Archibald does not want the job and has indicated this?

What if he is happy to put up a front but really wants to extend his playing career?

What if Scott Paterson doesn't want this to be any longer than a stop gap?

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Do you think that bringing in a different manager would increase the number of players willing to sing a contract extension?

What about the players that would be attracted to the club?

Hypothetically - is a club with a rookie manager who have not been promoted an attractive option?

That is the danger of giving Archi this fulltime. Give him until the end of the season - see whats happening then.

I would want Archie to be given the job on a longer term basis, provided he wants it, that is. He's done everything that we could've hoped for from him since he took charge. If, on the other hand, he doesn't want the job longer term, and wishes to continue playing, then I don't think there's any of us who would or could have a problem with that; we would of course respect that wish.

In short, the campaign for Archie to get the job is based on the supposition that that's what he wants. I think.

Give him until the end of the season - see whats happening then.

Effectively what I'm sure will happen.

I can't really see the point in interviewing anyone till we know what our status will be next season. I doubt there's anybody available that could come in just now and improve our chances of winning the league but there's plenty who could scupper them. That's got nothing to do with how good a Jags manager any of them could be.

A bigger decision might be giving Archie the job if we get promoted. If we miss out you could argue that we can afford to give him more time.

• Like 1

Id love Archie to get the job, but what im thinking is.....if we go up, is he experienced enough for the SPL, maybe get an experienced manager in, and get Archie to be his No2 to build up the experience, we dont want it to end up like gerry and whyte

FAO Fredthecheesecloth and Potty Trained - read this article in The Glaswegian.

"ALAN ARCHIBALD has revealed he’s pulling out all the stops to land the Partick Thistle job on a permanent basis.

"He said: “I want to become the next Partick Thistle manager as I’m a young coach and realise I’ve been given a terrific opportunity."

Will be interesting to see who makes up the six man shortlist; well, five man since Archie is one. Two people who I think will definitely feature are Paul Hartley and Gardner Spiers. Job is Archie's if he continues this form though.

Ive heard it mentioned a few times that the Manager of Queens Park is paid more than the Manager of Partick Thistle - something to do with them Managing the whole Community set up and also the fact they dont need to pay the players because they are Amateur.

However it may not be the first time that I have been told a complete load of rubbish

"ALAN ARCHIBALD has revealed he’s pulling out all the stops to land the Partick Thistle job on a permanent basis.

"He said: “I want to become the next Partick Thistle manager as I’m a young coach and realise I’ve been given a terrific opportunity."

Sorry if I've misunderstood, but why have I to read it? I know he wants the job, already.

Guest fredthecheesecloth

Very good to hear, couple of my points answered.

Ideal.

Id love Archie to get the job, but what im thinking is.....if we go up, is he experienced enough for the SPL, maybe get an experienced manager in, and get Archie to be his No2 to build up the experience, we dont want it to end up like gerry and whyte

experienced manager = manager who has failed at another club.

Exactly. Usually a journeyman who has done the rounds of umpteen clubs with little success, somebody who's currently unemployed (and for a reason), or somebody who's "desperate" to show they can (still) do it..... etc. etc.

Not necessarily. There are experienced managers in the lower leagues who could be of interest, e.g. Gardner Speirs. It would be harsh to say that John Collins failed at Hibs or Livingston.

Altho' I share that view a guy could make a complete arse of a job and still learn from his mistakes. Managers in many industries are at their weakest when plucked from the ranks of the workers. Most industries, unlike football, recognise this and give him/her time, help and training to adjust. Then again in virtually every other industry failed managers don't make more money talking or writing about their former occupation.

Not necessarily. There are experienced managers in the lower leagues who could be of interest, e.g. Gardner Speirs. It would be harsh to say that John Collins failed at Hibs or Livingston.

He was director of football at Livingstone, which would be like saying Maxi is our manager.

If I recall his time at Hibs, he got results, but seriously pissed off the players and eventually the board and I don't think he moved the club that far forward..

He was director of football at Livingstone, which would be like saying Maxi is our manager.

It wouldn't really, Maxwell is a general manager and not involved in much of the football side of things. A director of football will be involved in the targeting and acquisition of players and basically everything a manager would do but without the same involvement in coaching or day-to-day duties with the players.

What's the definition of "failure". Is it that he got relegated, or didn't get promoted. Was Lambie an "experienced" manager, who hadn't failed at other clubs ? Don't forget that we have experimented in the past with managers who had no experience and failed miserably(Derek Johnson,Murdo Macleod; White and Britton). I don't think there are any risk free candidates.