Off-Beat Low Points As A Jags Fan

thebiglemon

Post of the year.

I don't buy into the 'reverence' Lambie at all. He used us when it suited him.

What Jackie McNamara has done for this club over the last two years and what we all hope will be cemented by Archie and Shaggie by the end of the season puts Lambie and Collins' short termism into perspective.

Lambie got found out bigstyle at Fulston's Falkirk. His only genuine achievement in the top league was keeping us up in 94-95 when we were further out of it than skylab at Christmas (which had shown him up for what he was anyway). And that probably more to do with Nicky Walker than Lambie anyway.

WORST POST OF THE YEAR!!!! What Lambie achieved with us is the stuff of legend!!!!

4-0 down to Clyde at half time at Firhill - that for me was the lowest point ever as a jags fans. I also firmly believe that there were many fans lost for life that day. Remember when the 4th goal went in the amount of people standing up to hurl abuse at the directors box. Which ironically had just moved from the main stand to the JH.

I was sitting beside our then Chairman at the time and yes there was a lot of abuse - what I would have given for a IM NOT A DIRECTOR T-SHIRT that day -in fairness he was as angry as the rest of us.

I was sitting beside our then Chairman at the time and yes there was a lot of abuse - what I would have given for a IM NOT A DIRECTOR T-SHIRT that day -in fairness he was as angry as the rest of us.

That was the same day DC was doing his pre match team news in the Aitken Suite. Who could forget the immortal line 'McConologe plays because he has to' I had a Clyde supporting mate with me that day and he was in fits of laughter. An absolute joke of a manager and a definate low point in my Jags supporting life. I still shudder at the thought.

29th September 1990.

Jags lost 4-0 at Cappielow (Jim Duffy was sent off for us IIRC). At the time my old man was in hospital in Edinburgh recieving treatment for cancer. When I got home from the game, I phoned the hospital to get an update (he knew I was at the game and wasn't expecting to see me until the morning) and was told to get my ass through there as soon as possible. I got there just before he slipped into a coma and the last thing I ever told him was the score. To this day, I wish I had lied and told him that we won 4-0.

Man, what a sad story. Lost for words man.

I had almost forgotten the incredible 1 -6 and 0 -5 defeats , but I do remember vowing not to renew my ST ! That ws a truly disgraceful period in Jags history. I did renew of course. The success of the current team has obliterated the memory.

How many of the older posters remember the 10-2 defeat at home to Hibs? Before the aforementioned, that stood out as my lowest point.

The stramge thing was that despite those 2 heavy home defeats against St Johnstone and Gretna, due to decent results elsewhere, we were not far off top of the league and indeed I think we would have gone top a few weeks later if we had beaten rather than drawn with Clyde at Firhill, probably the only team in history to be top of a league with a vastly negative goal difference.

That was the same day DC was doing his pre match team news in the Aitken Suite. Who could forget the immortal line 'McConologe plays because he has to' I had a Clyde supporting mate with me that day and he was in fits of laughter. An absolute joke of a manager and a definate low point in my Jags supporting life. I still shudder at the thought.

My dad phoned me in the star as soon as that happened.

I'm sure the line was... Mcconalogue starts because I've got no one else.

Purely personal reasons, but to see my best mate from school Ricky Gillies wasted at right midfield for his whole time at firhill was bad. This was a guy who had made his career playing behind the striker or as an attacking midfielder. He didn't play through the middle once at firhill, to hear a mate take abuse every week knowing he was playing out of position was uncomfortable.

Overall and it's been touched on so many times in one thistle discussions, but to watch the atmosphere at firhill die was horrible. When away days were more attractive... Christ, for some staying in the star was more attractive than going to firhill. That was painful.

The loss of the 1876 club when David Beattie nailed the coffin of the trust with his leap of faith hammer was one of the most bizarre nights I've ever witnessed at firhill. You could see hope, aspiration and desire drain from a lot of good fans eyes. From that night on, the trust was nothing more than a filing cabinet to keep some shares locked in.

• Like 1

My dad phoned me in the star as soon as that happened.

I'm sure the line was... Mcconalogue starts because I've got no one else.

Purely personal reasons, but to see my best mate from school Ricky Gillies wasted at right midfield for his whole time at firhill was bad. This was a guy who had made his career playing behind the striker or as an attacking midfielder. He didn't play through the middle once at firhill, to hear a mate take abuse every week knowing he was playing out of position was uncomfortable.

Overall and it's been touched on so many times in one thistle discussions, but to watch the atmosphere at firhill die was horrible. When away days were more attractive... Christ, for some staying in the star was more attractive than going to firhill. That was painful.

The loss of the 1876 club when David Beattie nailed the coffin of the trust with his leap of faith hammer was one of the most bizarre nights I've ever witnessed at firhill. You could see hope, aspiration and desire drain from a lot of good fans eyes. From that night on, the trust was nothing more than a filing cabinet to keep some shares locked in.

Good post. I liked the look of Gillies and was disappointed it didn't work out. You could see he suited more attacking role than the one he was given.

The atmosphere in those days was vicious, with players often being booed onto the park. It really did have me questioning why I bothered. The results I could take, even most of the performances, however the abuse coming from the support caused me to break my own rules and leave games early on some occasions. I even remember leaving one game at half time having had a call from work and feeling relieved. Nothing to do with the performance, just the atmosphere.

being a fan for many a year defeats I am afraid were plenty.

my lowest point was under Benny Rooney. he signed my cousin from junior football.

There he was living my dream.

Rooney never gave him a chance in the first team. not our most successful team.

my cousin finally quit the the team and walked away. two weeks later Ronney got his p45.

cousins boy is on the books of Dundee Utd and on loan to Airdrie. was strange seeing him line up against us.

The promotion season from the 2nd Div 2005/6 we were crap. Dick Campbell just couldn't make us a team, yet on paper we had some decent players Arthur, Boab, Strachan, Gibson (no not Jimmy,Billy), Marko. So much frustration that season. My boy's first ever match at 6 months old, 2 up against Ayr, (great Marko goal) and then had to hang on for an undeserved draw. The match seemed to sum up the season for me, especially when Grant Murray went to take a throw in from the rugby line marking to much hillarity. I remember seeing us lose to Peterhead at Firhill and then after losing to Stranraer at Firhill somehow scraped it away (playoff) and had Peterhead (playoff final) at Firhill again where we managed to play pish against a crap team and loose to them yet again throwing away a lead at home.

I was so pissed off I held no hope at all based on what I had seen that we could turn it around up there and didn't go as I had had my fill of being pissed off. Done myself out of a cracker as it was our turn to come back from a goal down, grab an injury time lead to take it extra time then when on penalties in what has to be a daylight robbery of a promotion season. I can't remember how many points we finished behind 2nd placed Morton but the real bonus of that season was being pish finishing 4th and going up instead of them :)

It turned out to be a lucky season and I guess you take it when you can get it. My daughters first game was vefore her first birthday and was the famous 5-1 destruction of Falkirk an the Miles Hogarth comedy moment. In fact it took my kids a fair while to see Thistle get beat, so you will be pleased to know my boy won the half-time draw st the Dumbarton game to be the lucky mascot for the cup final. To say this 7 year old is excited is an understatement, he even made a presentation in school all about it :) Looking forward to the day and the party in GrantB's hoose! he says you are all more than welcome :)

• Like 2

Thankfully I forget a lot of Thistle games, which maybe is a good thing. But one that sticks in my mind was a wet and windy night at Crappielow.

Nelson Still came out for a high through ball and realising he was out his box headered the ball. Up in the air it went and caught in the wind it blew back towards the goal. The Morton forward ran through and tapped in from 3 inches to avoid the own goal. Think we lost 2.1.

The minute it happened I remember questioning why I bothered.

Forgot that - aye that was dire - just dire

Last game of the 58-59 season, Dunfermline beat Thistle 10-1, Dunfermline. Funny thing is, they needed ten goals to stay up on goal average.

So funny that serious questions were asked by the authorities!

Something similar happened in the earl 50s when Airdrieonians, needing a win to stay in the top division beat Falkirk 11 - 0 in their last match, thereby relegating them. . As I remember, the other club seeking to avoid the drop ( Morton?) was also involved in an unusual result that day. Even as a schoolboy, I was a wee bit suspicious!

Me & my mate drove down to Stranraer for a midweek game, got the kick off time wrong - arrived at 7.45pm only to find it was a 7.30pm KO & we were 2-0 down... I imagine that's what a literal waste of time feels like... Season 1999/2000 I think, March time... AWFUL.

I was at that game. Got a speeding ticket from the locals as I was driving through Cairnryan. After 5 mins, we were 2-0 down and I was wishing I had stayed at home in Edinburgh.

That Stranraer game was roundabout the time of the QF cup tie at Somerset I think? I remember there was a lock out in the away end that day meaning that a few jags fans ended up in the home end.

me and gary teales brother and wife were right up at the fence in the Ayr end!

christ that day reminds me of how shite Brian Martin was!!!

Sitting hung-over as all hell in Tynecastle as we got beat 2-1 in a cup game. Usual fare of course, but for some reason my seat was directly underneath a constant drip from the roof, and the freezing rain was incessant. God, that was a long, long game.

edit: although, one of their foreign imports got absolutely halved by Grant Murray, I think, and someone shouted out, "welcome to Scotland, ya Pr*ck!!", which lightened the mood for a second.

Edited by peagreenboy

Can't remember. Just remember wondering why we paid to stand on a grassy knoll!

Yip. It was just before the cup game IIRC.

The game had the distinction of Thistle fielding an all Swedish strike force of Peter Lindau (who was on loan from Ayr at the time I think) and the trialist Johnny Blom (who had scored in the previous game against Arbroath)