How Important Is The Challenge Cup?

uberteeb

It would have been interesting to see the crowd if instead of the Ramsdens Final on Sunday we had been playing Morton at Firhill this Saturday in what would have been a League Decider - my guess is 3,000-4,000 more than we'll get for the midweek game.

The crowds at Firhill have been quite disappointing this year considering the success of the team - less than Falkirk and Dunfermline who both have had indifferent seasons. Morton's crowds have been even worse.

At least the interest in the Ramsdens Final has shown that there is still a latent support. My own priority was going to the League games on the two occasions when the tickets went on sale and they were sold out by the time I got to Firhill. I did strike me as a bit odd that people were prepared to queue up for tickets but didn't hang around to see the team play.

I eventually got a ticket through a Forum Member and I'm looking forward to seeing Thistle in a Final again...even if it is the Copa Del Diddy. I really hope we win the trophy but I will be more disappointed if we lose to Morton.

It would have been interesting to see the crowd if instead of the Ramsdens Final on Sunday we had been playing Morton at Firhill this Saturday in what would have been a League Decider - my guess is 3,000-4,000 more than we'll get for the midweek game.

The crowds at Firhill have been quite disappointing this year considering the success of the team - less than Falkirk and Dunfermline who both have had indifferent seasons. Morton's crowds have been even worse.

At least the interest in the Ramsdens Final has shown that there is still a latent support. My own priority was going to the League games on the two occasions when the tickets went on sale and they were sold out by the time I got to Firhill. I did strike me as a bit odd that people were prepared to queue up for tickets but didn't hang around to see the team play.

I eventually got a ticket through a Forum Member and I'm looking forward to seeing Thistle in a Final again...even if it is the Copa Del Diddy. I really hope we win the trophy but I will be more disappointed if we lose to Morton.

The Livingston game was huge, on a Saturday and we got just under 3,000, take off the away support and the influx of Welsh fans and we had 2,500 home fans. Unbelievable given the importance of that game, especially with 3 away games in Fife coming after it.

I get people looking forward to the day out, I am as well, but this cup carries no prestige and is a waste of time.

I get people looking forward to the day out, I am as well, but this cup carries no prestige and is a waste of time.

Tell that to the players that it's a waste of time. Most of these players have never won a medal let alone play in a final. If it matters to the players and club, then it should matter to every thistle fan.

• Like 1

This final means a lot to me for a few reasons:

1. We've never won it and I'd like to finally put that one to bed.

2. My QoS mate will make my life hell by constantly reminding me of it.

3. The players deserve the medal and the recognicion that goes with it for their efforts this season.

but mostly this one:

4: This will be the last time we get the chance to win it as we go on to become at established SPL team challenging for more prestigious honours.

Also, the fact that we are playing in my hometown and the fact that the place will be crawling with Jags fans (whether some folk want to be there or not) fills me with a lot of pride.

C'mon the Jags!

It's a cup final and we are going to have a cracking day out!

For me, part of the attraction is the fact that I won't lose any sleep if we don't win it.

If we lost the Raith and Morton games I most definitely would lose sleep.

But it's a cup final, and we want to win, so let's ****** do it!

• Like 1

We have the chance of getting a League and cup double this year. Every game is important, whether its a league game or a Ramsdens cup game. When you have a team that is as good as ours is at the moment, the more you get to see them play, the better.

Lets remember, no matter how well we have played this season, the players have nothing to show for it, yet. This is the first chance for them to get something more than a good write-up, as recognition for their play this season. When they do win it, it will only push them on to get their next winners medal, which we all know will come sometime before May.

Tradition dictates we will have to wait at least another 40 years until our next final rolls around, so lets take this one for what it's worth!

It will be a brilliant day out, a huge Jags support and the opportunity to win a competition that we have never won before. When you're a Jags fan, you cannot exactly be picky about what competitions you win. The players will be treating this as a major competition, as said before, for many this will be their first Cup Final, so they will be giving it 100%.

Personally I cannot wait until Sunday! It is sure to be one of the most memorable days for me as a Jags fan, and hopefully not the last in the coming weeks.

Can understand the "Morton is bigger game" talk,it certainly is. BUT!!!! It's my first final and I'm so looking forward to it.After the game tomorrow I will be excited about Sunday! Love the idea of 5200 converging on a neutral venue. Will bevavgreat day no matter what. And the after party..............bring it on!!!

Every single game that Thistle play is important to me and always has been since the day my father lifted me over the turnstiles of Firhill more than 55 years ago , I've only ever seen the Jags win one trophy but they've won my heart over many , many times throughout these years , every time I see a Thistle goal my heart soars , so yes it might well be viewed by some as a minor Cup (one of only 3 to be won yearly !!) but its the SFL Cup in my eyes and thats where we have been the best team without a doubt this season despite the loss of a once promising manager ( who's going to win sweet ***** adams this year !!) and like a previous quote stated , I'm also hoping it will be the last time we will even be invited to take part in it , so yes , it is important to me , as is the League title, and I'm going to savour the 90 mins of magic from my beloved Partick Thistle !! Lets hear it for the Jags !!!!!

Think we've been a bit spoiled this season and the OP probably reflects that. Any other season and this would be the biggest game bar none - a cup final is the same for any team no matter what league they are in. The fact that we are also in the middle of a promotion battle means that every game we play is the biggest game, so the final doesn't seem as important. However, we should be greedy and want the lot - the club, players and supporters deserve it.

People turn up for cup finals because they are one offs.

Finals don't come round very often and, on the day, you know for certain if your team wins you get to see them lift a trophy. That hasn't happened yet at any of our league games.

I reckon we'll get a crackin crowd at the morton game and if it was to be a proper winner takes all league decider, or even a league clincher for one of the teams, it would probably add an extra thousand or so onto the gate. I always go back to the 91-92 promotion game against Forfar at Firhill to emphasise this point. 10,000 Jags fans turned up for the chance to see us win promotion by the skin of our teeth. However, People have had months to prepare for this final, a certain chance to see a trophy won, hence the clammer for tickets from far and wide.

It is referred to as "the diddy cup", and in the big scheme of things it is far from the most prestigious of tournaments. Yet, ask any player at the end of his career how many medals he has won he'll surely not exclude this one, regardless of what else he may have achieved. It's a senior, professional competition, and there's a fair number of senior professionals never get the chance to win anything. Not to mention established teams like St. Johnstone for whom this cup is their only national honour in their long history.

By the way, I was at the sixes finals with my mate Kenny. And it was buckin fagic!!!! I can remember it as if it were yesterday. Big Paul Mcglaughlan turning into a goal machine and getting one over Owen coyle's airdrie.... It was a Jags fan's wet dream.

Off course the league is the bigger achievement, and much more important to the future of the club. But, most of the time it's alot more fun to look back and remember the good times rather than fret about the future. Win on sunday and Archie and the boys will be written into the history books as cup "Winners". No' bad, eh?

Dont let it pass you by!!!!

See y'all on sunday and next wednesday,

AR-CHI-BALD'S RED'N'YELLA ARMEEEEE!!!!!!!!!

:fan:

Winning this cup will mean different things to different fans. I have no doubt that had Queens not gubbed sevco in an earlier round, and had they gone on to win it (in their dreams with us still in it), the 'How We Won The Double' DVD would be selling like hot cakes down Hunpark way at £12.99.

I'm really looking forward to it myself as a 'no pressure' one-off affair, with a mass Jaggy gathering at a neutral venue and the fun of seeing my Jags do the lap of honour, proudly holding aloft a nice piece of silverware decked in red & yellow ribbons.

If the worst comes to the worst, we still get a great day out with parties afterwards and the prospect of knocking a huge dent in Morton's faltering challenge three days later at the Stadium of Dreams.

Great times to be a Jags fan. Let's milk every second of a magnificent season - cup AND league - the whole caboodle.

• Like 1

Winning this cup will mean different things to different fans. I have no doubt that had Queens not gubbed sevco in an earlier round, and had they gone on to win it (in their dreams with us still in it), the 'How We Won The Double' DVD would be selling like hot cakes down Hunpark way at £12.99.

I'm really looking forward to it myself as a 'no pressure' one-off affair, with a mass Jaggy gathering at a neutral venue and the fun of seeing my Jags do the lap of honour, proudly holding aloft a nice piece of silverware decked in red & yellow ribbons.

If the worst comes to the worst, we still get a great day out with parties afterwards and the prospect of knocking a huge dent in Morton's faltering challenge three days later at the Stadium of Dreams.

Great times to be a Jags fan. Let's milk every second of a magnificent season - cup AND league - the whole caboodle.

Good point, BJ: If we win both then the sales of the commemorative DVD will probably increase by 100%. More support for the club!

After tonight's match my thoughts will be focussed 100% on the cup game. Just a thought, but I'm.sure Brian Clough and his team felt winning the Texaco Cup back in the late 70s acted as a focus for future successes of a higher status. Winning is a great habit in football, winning trophies is fantastic :D

• Like 2

As soon as tonight is out the way, It's going to be the most important game of the season.... until the Morton game.

One game at a time has been the cry from the players and management all season.

as for The Challenge Cup itself? i'd love Thistle to win it. i always have wanted us to and used to fall out with folk who bandied about terms like diddy cup... a club of our size should be taking seriously every competition we enter, and as fans we should be backing the team in every competition we play in.

This will be our biggest travelling support since the rangers game at Ibrox?

After witnessing the league cup final earlier last month, i would absolutely love us to win this. No, its not either of the league or scottish cups, but it is the cup that only the SFL teams can enter...

To be crowned Division 1 champions and challenge cup winners in my opinion would be fantastic for the club.