Players I Would Keep For Next Season.

kane0

Craigen? Seriously??

The guy has been different class the last few games - like a new signing almost. Due to his age and the fact that this is his first season, he's only going to get better.

Elliot is a strange one. I actually think he'll do OK in the SPL in the same way that Gregory Tade has done. He is big, physically strong and quick. If he could add an ariel presence and work on his finishing, there is a player in there.

Craigen? Seriously??

The guy has been different class the last few games - like a new signing almost. Due to his age and the fact that this is his first season, he's only going to get better.

Elliot is a strange one. I actually think he'll do OK in the SPL in the same way that Gregory Tade has done. He is big, physically strong and quick. If he could add an ariel presence and work on his finishing, there is a player in there.

Agreed. I actually think that Elliott will be better for us on the left wing than as an out-and-out striker. I'd also keep McGuigan as a squad player. He had the physique and gets stuck in. Hasn't had much chance to make a real impact this season because of how well the others have done.

Agreed. I actually think that Elliott will be better for us on the left wing than as an out-and-out striker. I'd also keep McGuigan as a squad player. He had the physique and gets stuck in. Hasn't had much chance to make a real impact this season because of how well the others have done.

Mcguigan would benefit from going out on loan for the first few monts of the season to a 1st Division club, get his confidence up before putting him in the team. He was a stand out at Albion Rovers when we loaned him out earlier this season.

I thought McGuigan was pretty decent when he came back from Albion Rovers. He certainly had a big part in the 3-2 game against Raith.

Whether he is good enough for the SPL is a different story but to judge him on Saturday's performance is harsh as he hasn't played in months.

What's for certain is that we're going to have to add a good few players to the squad for next season. A lot of our success this season has been down to the astute signings by McNamara which meant very few players were incapable of playing in numerous positions and that has allowed us to sustain a challenge with a smaller squad than previous league winners. The other not inconsiderable contribution has been Archie’s shrewd addition of the two Dunfermline boys who have both played significant roles – McMillan held us together with ten men against Raith and Dowie has been excellent, particularly in the Morton game. The timing of those signings were perfect, Lambie-esque even; but had we not got them, we may well have been rueing our squad size.

I think we’ll need two good keepers – Fox and another. I’d be happy to keep Daniels for the new Under 20 squad if his release from Celtic can be negotiated which I wouldn’t imagine would be too problematic. That would mean Scully and Wightman leaving which wouldn’t be surprising; the former is just a tad too eccentric and hasn’t improved as much as it was expected he would, in my opinion.

In defence, we’ve definitely got Balatoni, Muirhead and Sinclair, presuming that nobody comes in with big money for any of them. I’d hope Archie registers himself as a player just in case he is needed as he has shown this season that he’s far from done. It would be nice to keep O’Donnell but I suspect he may move on - what is vitally important is that we make him an offer so that, in the event he does leave, we get compensation for him. Dowie is only 30 and has only played one season in the SPL with a Dunfermline team already beginning to cripple financially. He’s been a very solid centre-half in the First Division for many seasons now but this is perhaps his level. That said, there have been a good few defenders no better than Dowie make the step up so maybe he only needs an opportunity. Wouldn’t be too averse to keeping him on as he’s been exemplary since signing. We’ll need to add an experienced centre-half whether we keep him or not though, preferably left sided. Initially, I was certain that we would keep McMillan but I’m not so sure; I think a lot depends on whether O’Donnell leaves.

You’d presume Welsh and Bannigan will be first picks in midfield and probably deservedly so. I think Welsh has noticeably tailed off in recent times but it’s easy to forget that this is really the first time he has ever played a full season. A good rest over the summer will hopefully see him return to his form of the first quarter where he was arguably our best player. I reckon there will be teams happy to part with a fair sum to sign Bannigan in the summer but a season with us in the SPL will be best for his development; contract extension is essential. Craigen has been impressive over recent months but I fear it may be too soon for him, as a starter at least. Great potential though and will certainly have a part to play. I’d happily re-sign Forbes and think a full pre-season without worrying about a contract will do him the world of good. Murray, Campbell and Halsman are all surplus to requirements. Definitely need to add another centre mid.

Elliot is a tough call. As a striker, it’s a no-brainer – he’s not good enough and would be undoubtedly released if it were the only position he could play. But as a winger, I think he could be a really handy player; big, strong, very quick, direct, can cross. In fact, I believe that is his natural position and he only played a handful of games for Whitley Bay as a striker before we signed him. I would be tempted to keep him on for another year to see how he adapts but it depends if the budget will allow. Lawless will be a first choice for one of the front three positions and we’ll need to add a bit of quality to replace Erskine.

I’d suggest Craig’s departure increases the likelihood of Doolan staying, otherwise we’re going to be looking for two/three new centre forwards. We have to keep Doolan at all costs – to get a player as good and as well-rounded to replace him would be far outwith our budget. We’ll be struggling to replace the quality of Erskine but, if we were to add Doolan to the departures, it’ll be a big, big ask. As mentioned in a previous post, McGuigan has something to offer off the pitch too and is contracted for next season. A loan to the First Division would be ideal for him as he is a decent player but hasn’t played anywhere near enough games. Will definitely need to replace Craig’s goals.

As mentioned, we’re also going to have to assemble an Under 20 squad. The chat was that Jonny Black, David Wilson and Dale Keenan have re-signed for next season so they’ll be involved along with Liam Lindsay, Lee Gallagher, Jordan Leyden, Caolan McAleer and Gerry O’Donnell but that still leaves a fair shortage. There will also be players promoted from the younger age groups but we’ll need to bring a few in from other clubs. We’ll also need a manager for that team which will be interesting to see.

What is important is that we don’t screw ourselves by getting excited and offering long contracts on big money (relatively speaking) and are then left in a similar situation to Dunfermline. The policy of signing young players from SPL clubs and the lower league has served us well so far and I’d hate to see us neglect that in favour of signing tired journeymen. Thankfully, I don’t think Archie will do that.

• Like 1

I thought McGuigan was pretty decent when he came back from Albion Rovers. He certainly had a big part in the 3-2 game against Raith.

Whether he is good enough for the SPL is a different story but to judge him on Saturday's performance is harsh as he hasn't played in months.

And neither he nor Elliott received anything like a decent number of good balls to work with on Saturday.

• Like 2

To be fair your judging him on game the Raith Rovers one as well. He has been mixed as I remember him being rank against Queens Park - best hing to do is to loan him out.

Worryingly I heard both Kilmarnock and our dear friends Tannadice way are interested in Doolan - but this is the season for rumours so hopefully turns out to be nothing.

I believe a director has said we will bring in 6 players for next season. I would say we need a goalkeeper, left back, centre half, defensive midfielder and 2 strikers. Anymore will depend on who leaves. Sinclair definitely needs competition for his place, Balatoni needs to lose some weight, he has had a great season but I fear he is to slow for SPL. Maybe we will need three at the back in a lot of the games.

Felt sorry for Elliot and McGuigan on Saturday, no service as the midfield was so slow, every pass went backwards or across and Sinclairs crossing needs no more comment from me.

Hearing that we had the money to match Dundee United but were not prepared to offer 3 year contracts disappoints me, if anyone was worth a 3 year deal it was Erskine, even if we came straight back down we have the parachute payment. Paton can be replaced but how do you replace a one off.

• Like 1

Balatoni needs to lose some weight, he has had a great season but I fear he is to slow for SPL.

He doesn't need to lose any weight at all. He is ripped and fit as a fiddle, like all the players at the club right now. Not all central defenders in the SPL are fast.

I think it's imperitive that we keep Doolan. I would be absolutely gutted if he left us. He could be key to us staying up if he stays. His junior football work ethic, cleverness and incredible first touch are all vital assets for a forward line. Forbes deserves a new deal and I hope he gets one. I would also like to see some contract extensions offered to Bannigan and Lawless because I don't want us to lose them for nothing next summer.

• Like 1

I would definitely keep Forbes. Presumably we'll be playing the same formation again next year and both his ability to hold up the ball and win free kicks will be vital- as will his set piece deliveries. Can't make up my mind on Elliott, he hasn't really had a run of starts as a winger to prove himself. Don't think he's going to take up a massive amount of the wage budget but he would be down the list of priorities for re-signing. Keeping Doolan is a no-brainer and I'm hopeful that Craig's release suggests progress has been made on this front... and I'd take Dowie as 4th choice centre half if he's happy to accept starting the season as backup. Think we need signings down the spine of the team plus 1 or 2 others.

I've yet to see McMillan play for us so can't judge, wouldn't entirely surprise me if he left for another Glasgow team further down the leagues though. All the other out of contract younger guys (Scully, Campbell, Halsman etc) should probably move on with our best wishes; harsh but it's part of the game.

Was that the first time you've seen him?

He has been outstanding this season. Certainly not overweight and slow.

No it's not the first time and I did say he had a good season but he was left for dead. My opinion is he needs to lose weight and I bet after a pre season with Archie he does. Again my opinion which we are all allowed to have.

No it's not the first time and I did say he had a good season but he was left for dead. My opinion is he needs to lose weight and I bet after a pre season with Archie he does. Again my opinion which we are all allowed to have.

For a centre-half Balatoni certainly isn't slow. If you look at some centre-halfs in the SPL there's some who could be outpaced by a tractor.

Going by the photos last week, Balatoni is in amazing shape, completely ripped. Losing any more weight wouldn't be benificial for him. Losing weight wouldn't make him a faster player.

Edited by northernsoul

Going by the photos last week, Balatoni is in amazing shape, completely ripped. Losing any more weight wouldn't be benificial for him. Losing weight wouldn't make him a faster player.

Was he on page 3? Seriously let's wait and see what life in the SPL brings. I have a good friend who is a Hearts fan and he thinks Conrad is a good first division defender but will struggle against better players in SPL. I hope he is wrong but time will tell. If I am proved wrong I will be delighted.

Was he on page 3? Seriously let's wait and see what life in the SPL brings. I have a good friend who is a Hearts fan and he thinks Conrad is a good first division defender but will struggle against better players in SPL. I hope he is wrong but time will tell. If I am proved wrong I will be delighted.

Aye, page 3 in The Sun m8.

I think Thistle fans are a better judge of how Balatoni would do than Hearts fans. He never played for them, and is a far better player now, than when he left them last year.

He was poor on Saturday but he'd been celebrating his first ever title win all week. I think he can be forgiven for that.