Tonight's Glasgow Cup

andyconnor

' The loutish behaviour and sectarian undercurrent hasn't gone away in the last year. But in a domestic campaign which has failed to get out of second gear, this was a sharp reminder of why the Old Firm have to be the driving force behind our game. '

Forget any other derby in British football. In fact, scrub any other city rivalry in Europe. No other Clubs could produce the kind of atmosphere witnessed in Maryhill last night. And it reminded everyone in Scottish football just what we have been missing '

The above quotes are taken from the Daily Record's Scott McDermott.

:shok:

Astounding. So property is vandalised, people are hurt - some requiring hospital treatment - and police and emergency service time is spent clearing up the mess left by human beings behaving like animals. But that is okay because, from a safe distance, the atmosphere at a football match looked quite exciting.

Jesus f*cking wept.

Instead of blaming the police, we should be blaming the people who act in such a way that police presence in a requirement for such events.

The police always get a hard time, but I'd like to see how people on here would act to remove the vandals, sectarian singers, etc without starting a riot.

The police are there to protect society, enforce laws and prevent the situations witnessed from escalating. Their senior officers have to take responsibility which is why i asked about their report of the game and policing decisions being made available. Remember Hillsborough and the police cover-up/collusion? It took more than 20 years for the truth to begin to come out.

The police are there to protect society, enforce laws and prevent the situations witnessed from escalating. Their senior officers have to take responsibility which is why i asked about their report of the game and policing decisions being made available. Remember Hillsborough and the police cover-up/collusion? It took more than 20 years for the truth to begin to come out.

Are you suggesting the police are going to pretend nothing happened yesterday and are you comparing it to Hillsborough?

In one of the incidents, the police are clearly to blame, in the other the so-called-fans are clearly to blame. I think that is pretty obvious. I am well aware police are trained to deal with things like this, but I am also aware they are trained in such a way to prevent them from escalating further. Whilst what happened was pretty bad, Firhill could have been hit a lot worse.

Are you suggesting the police are going to pretend nothing happened yesterday and are you comparing it to Hillsborough?

In one of the incidents, the police are clearly to blame, in the other the so-called-fans are clearly to blame. I think that is pretty obvious. I am well aware police are trained to deal with things like this, but I am also aware they are trained in such a way to prevent them from escalating further. Whilst what happened was pretty bad, Firhill could have been hit a lot worse.

Maybe most of us are getting things wrong, and we should be grateful to those people that they didn't do much more damage, and to the police for allowing them to wreck only some parts of the place.

' The loutish behaviour and sectarian undercurrent hasn't gone away in the last year. But in a domestic campaign which has failed to get out of second gear, this was a sharp reminder of why the Old Firm have to be the driving force behind our game. '

Forget any other derby in British football. In fact, scrub any other city rivalry in Europe. No other Clubs could produce the kind of atmosphere witnessed in Maryhill last night. And it reminded everyone in Scottish football just what we have been missing '

The above quotes are taken from the Daily Record's Scott McDermott.

Selectively misquoted though.

Here's the full text:

And it reminded everyone in Scottish football just what we have been missing. Yes, the unsavoury elements of the Rangers v Celtic clash were again here for everyone to see. At times it was intimidating and shamefully this was no place for youngsters coming to watch their team in a ‘friendly’ environment.

But he did say " this was a sharp reminder of why the Old Firm have to be the driving force behind our game".

Yes he was referring to the intensity of the atmosphere but since that was created by as he says it himself "the unsavoury elements of the Rangers v Celtic clash" he is rather trying to have his cake and eat it.

In other words, though he can say "At times it was intimidating and shamefully this was no place for youngsters coming to watch their team in a ‘friendly’ environment" he still maintains the Old Firm have to be the driving force in our game. In other words the game in Scotland needs them, in other words our game is so dire we need the hatred and bigotry of the old firm to give it some excitement.

He has, in other words, started off condemning what happened (quite rightly) but quickly twists it into saying that the intensity of the occasion shows we need Rangers back at the top along with Celtic to give our football life meaning.

No we don't. The stranglehold of the OF iMHO (and the money-sucking shennigans of Oldco in particular) contributed greatly to our game being in the dire straight it is. That's without mentioning the poison the bring to the league table as well. We don't need all that back again but our churnalists can't wait to see it all happening again.

Society gets the police and laws it deserves. We have laws dealing with violent conduct, drinking in public, sectarianism. So, it is up to the police to enforce these laws for the benefit of society and not just a few "peepul" with persecution complexes. Hillsborough is what happens when laws are not enforced by consistent policing, and the resulting cover-up and blaming of innocent fans was not an edifying experience.

Not only has it wrecked any chance of alcohol being sold in Scottish football grounds but has also ended any chance however slim it was of Rangers or Celtic playing in England. Peter Lawwell must be wringing his hands in despair if he was watching the scenes on Sky last night.

By the clarity of the photos I think a lot of troublemakers are going to be getting early morning wakeup calls by Glasgows finest.

Was the excellent main stand in use? The JHS seemed half full and the North stand wasn't full either judging by the photos.

Speaking of the photos I am struggling to see any specific offence being committed. There is a broken seat but not being thrown? Was there any evidence of drinking? The Dustin Gee and Les Dennis pair who were arrested were only 17 and look as old as most of the guests in the stands.

I reckon the club will be offered compensation for the damage caused and then everything else will be swept under the carpet.

Was the excellent main stand in use? The JHS seemed half full and the North stand wasn't full either judging by the photos.

Speaking of the photos I am struggling to see any specific offence being committed. There is a broken seat but not being thrown? Was there any evidence of drinking? The Dustin Gee and Les Dennis pair who were arrested were only 17 and look as old as most of the guests in the stands.

I reckon the club will be offered compensation for the damage caused and then everything else will be swept under the carpet.

That's probably exactly what'll happen, then those of us who go to Dumbarton on Saturday will be filmed as we go into the ground and then throughout the match. Nasty people caused problems at Firhill....... we're from Firhill....... stands to reason, doesn't it?

• Like 1

Have you seen the pictures / videos of the flairs being flung, the referee taking missiles (Coins / lighters) to the 4th official, the videos of the sectarian singing, and its more than one seat broken

Have you seen the pictures / videos of the flairs being flung, the referee taking missiles (Coins / lighters) to the 4th official, the videos of the sectarian singing, and its more than one seat broken

Sorry, I was talking about the photo where a seat is being passed down. I hope pyro and smoke bomb throwers can be identified and prosecuted. Same with missile throwers. I doubt it will happen though.

Sweep, sweep.

Funny how there hasn't been any incidences of pyros or smokebombs being let off at iBronx or Porkheid?

What were the arrangements for tickets? I heard they were only a fiver so trouble was on the cards from the off, imo.

FTOF

OTIG

Edited by jagfox