Tonight's Glasgow Cup

andyconnor

It is clear that at a senior management level within the Police(and no doubt the politicians, who are apparently responsible for their oversight) that a conscious decision has been taken to ignore sectarian chanting. This is totally contrary to the spirit if not the letter of the law. The hoary old chestnut is often paraded, that the police cannot arrest thousands of people. I think back to the miner's strike and the police then were perfectly prepared to confront, sometimes with violence large numbers of strikers. Quite simply if the will is there, there is always a solution. However, the bald truth is that I see no evidence that the police have the will to tackle sectarianism in any of its forms in this country.

If that's the case why did the Chief of Police sit down with the Government a while back and introduce a new law that is specific to crime at football? Also there was a case a few weeks back where a judge threw a case against a Celtic fan out of court. It's not the Police that decide whether someone is prosecuted, it's the Court. Say a polis wades in and grabs a guy who's launched a flare, rammy ensues, innocent weans/disabled fans end up getting injured. The cops seem to be in a lose lose situation, they were accused of being too slow to react during the London riots last year, but too over reactive during the student demos.

A full apology from the two teams, and Thistle banning celtic fans next season (and rangers in the cup) is what I'd like to see. Our board are pretty vocal of their anger at United, so they should be making their view on this farce rather public as well.

• Like 1

If that's the case why did the Chief of Police sit down with the Government a while back and introduce a new law that is specific to crime at football? Also there was a case a few weeks back where a judge threw a case against a Celtic fan out of court. It's not the Police that decide whether someone is prosecuted, it's the Court. Say a polis wades in and grabs a guy who's launched a flare, rammy ensues, innocent weans/disabled fans end up getting injured. The cops seem to be in a lose lose situation, they were accused of being too slow to react during the London riots last year, but too over reactive during the student demos.

A full apology from the two teams, and Thistle banning celtic fans next season (and rangers in the cup) is what I'd like to see. Our board are pretty vocal of their anger at United, so they should be making their view on this farce rather public as well.

The police have the role of implementing the laws of the land. They failed to do so. Not sure of the value in coming up with hypothetical situations to justify their inaction.

The police have the role of implementing the laws of the land. They failed to do so. Not sure of the value in coming up with hypothetical situations to justify their inaction.

Because they were hugely outnumbered and sometimes 10 polis charging into a stand with a few thousand people could in some circumstances make it much more dangerous and volatile. Much easier to just film the incidents on CCTV and then jail the people responsible without risking innocent folk getting caught up.

As much as PGB and others may not like this idea, i for one wholeheartedly agree with it.

Instead of sucking the OF boaby, It's time our club took a stand, on behalf of Scottish football and society, and banned these bigoted knuckledragging reprobates from Firhill for next season. Part for what they did to Firhill on Monday, but more for making a stand on behalf of all decent supporters and clubs and the country as a whole and sending out a clear message that their types are not wanted or welcome in Scottish Football any longer.

Such a ban may lose our club some income in the short term from one or maybe two visits from them next season, but on a wider and longer term it would gain the club positive publicity and feeling from everyone outside the OF, and result in more lapsed and new supporters being drawn to the club and attending regularily imo.

More Away supporters may also be inclined to visit Firhill to support such a stance, so over a season, i can't see it being much of a financial hit.

So has our club got the balls?

As much as i'd like to see it happen, i ain't going to hold my breath but would be first to congratulate them if they actually did.

Oh Maryhill is wonderful

Make it even more wonderful by making it an OF free zone next season.

FTOF

Edited by yoda-jag
  • Like 1

There is not a cat in hells chance we are going to ban Celtic supporters next season.

If we play them twice at Firhill then the gate money from them alone is going to pay the wages of 2 decent playhers for a year.

Any positive publicity would rely on good unbiased press coverage, good luck with that in Scotland. It will just be swept under the carpet and more air time will be given to the time they took 3 billion fans to Seville and were given some sort of UEFA fan award.

The stuff with the broken seats is an over reaction IMO. The seats will be paid for. I remember Thistle fans breaking seats at Stirling Albion back in the game where Ali Landry (?) said he was racially abuse by Jags fans.

Anyway there's a very good chance that there will be more broken seats when we beat Celtic at Firhill. :thumbsup:

Aye great. We don't need the money after all.

Far more money comes in from the tv deal than will come in from selling tickets for one, maybe two matches next season. Fairweather thistle fans will turn up for home games against the old firm anyway, so we'd probably get a decent attendance even without OF fans coming in.

The stuff with the broken seats is an over reaction IMO. The seats will be paid for. I remember Thistle fans breaking seats at Stirling Albion back in the game where Ali Landry (?) said he was racially abuse by Jags fans.

Anyway there's a very good chance that there will be more broken seats when we beat Celtic at Firhill. :thumbsup:

Only if they break them. We won't be breaking them. We're better than them.

Well said. We've existed over the last few years despite the old firm and the SPL, not because of them. The money lost from gate receipts will be a hit we can take.

However, we are in the SPL now with additional costs associated with that. If we could manage without their income, it would be great.

Can we call an end to this discussion.it is starting to make us look as bad as them.TWO CHEEKS OF THE ONE ARSE.

I THOUGHT THE MSG ON ETIMS WHICH YOU LINKED TO SAYING THE SEAT WAS BEING PASSED FORWARD IN CASE IT HURT SOMEONE TAKES THE PRIZE FOR QUOTE OF THE MILLENIUM

Two more arrests reported by the BBC.

"Two men, aged 21 and 28, were detained on Friday at addresses in Thornliebank and Erskine by officers from the Football Co-ordination Unit.

Ch Supt Andy Bates, police commander for Greater Glasgow, said: "We are continuing to investigate the circumstances of the disturbance. Officers are still reviewing CCTV and it is anticipated there will be more arrests."

• 6 months later...