Favourite Players When You Were Wee...

Veejag

Billy Gibson I thought was more than decent for us... Very tidy. He suffered from lack of quality about him.

Martin lauchlan just was amazing when he came on to the scene. One of the only times I've genuinely thought this guy could go to the very top, dunno why it never worked out for him...

Peter lindau was another who in his time at thistle genuinely looked liked he could go to the very top, suppose in hindsight lack of pace done him, although I believe he did no bad back home after us. Still hold a grudge with the saviour senior lambie for not keeping him on!

Billy Gibson I thought was more than decent for us... Very tidy. He suffered from lack of quality about him.

Martin lauchlan just was amazing when he came on to the scene. One of the only times I've genuinely thought this guy could go to the very top, dunno why it never worked out for him...

Peter lindau was another who in his time at thistle genuinely looked liked he could go to the very top, suppose in hindsight lack of pace done him, although I believe he did no bad back home after us. Still hold a grudge with the saviour senior lambie for not keeping him on!

Where would we be if Billy gibson had not taken that final free kick or missed ???

Guest fredthecheesecloth

God knows... I hope you don't think I was saying I didn't think he was any good... Quite the opposite...

He was a good player in a very poor side and as you say we owe him a lot! A hellava lot

I couldn't disagree more. Billy joined us in the Premier League and was part of the 2 year slide. At the start he got slack because of guys like Kenny Milne (loser) and Grant Murray (surprised he hasn't been mentioned) taking plenty of stick.

By the time he got to the second he had been found out. He was on the bench a fair bit but always managed to score a semi important goal (Gretna home for example) or do something great every 6 or 8 games to avoid too many people getting on his back.

He was also one of those guys who seemed to only play well or try when it was new contract season. Funny that. Did nothing after he left for the simple reason that he was beyond hopeless.

Peterhead goal was great. But Billy certainly was not.

On another note I agree with the poster above who thought Donnelly was a great player. Respect the views of mr towers but disagree completely. There was one season where he was super and scored a lot of goals, particularly in the Christmas lead up.

Edited by fredthecheesecloth

when I was wee (early-mid 70's) it was Johhny Gibson, Denis McQuade, Bobby Lawrie, Joe Craig, Dougie Somner, Ronnie Glavin, Jackie Campbell & the one & only Alan Rough. Rough was & always will be my Thistle hero :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: (I know some of them were quite good. but......)

Edited by jaggy

My memories are tinged with nostalgia, but my favourite players were John Archie MacKenzie,, Willie Sharp and Andy Kerr. Could they 'cut it' in today's game? Who knows, but it is interesting that all three were, I think, part-timers, so with full time training maybe they would have been even better than I remember ?

Always liked the keepers Cammy Duncan and Nelson Still. Neither of them for performances but we used to refer to Cammy as Cammy Druken and t' other was Stand Still! As a youngster I thought that was quite amusing (read hilarious!)

• 2 weeks later...