Electronic Entry To Firhill Next Season

Balmedie-Jag

Electronic system sounds really good but there are serious pitfalls if you try to do it on the cheap. Also got the possibility of system failure preventing fans from gaining access, similar to what happened to one of the stands at Celtic Park. But, on the whole, the benefits outweigh the negatives and it should be a pretty cool addition.

It also opens up the possibility of buying tickets over the phone/on the internet for home cup games and reserving tickets for away fixtures should it be necessary.

Electronic system sounds really good but there are serious pitfalls if you try to do it on the cheap. Also got the possibility of system failure preventing fans from gaining access, similar to what happened to one of the stands at Celtic Park. But, on the whole, the benefits outweigh the negatives and it should be a pretty cool addition.

It also opens up the possibility of buying tickets over the phone/on the internet for home cup games and reserving tickets for away fixtures should it be necessary.

Does it mean that we all need to have a microchip implanted under the skin?

all sounds good

i have used an electronic system at valencia cf....its like the underground barriers here with a bar code reader and it works well

Let's hope they're not like the barriers at Glasgow Central station, a fuggin' nightmare. In the rest of Europe such barriers are unmanned, only in Glasgow can we provide up to date modern technology and still need three members of staff to operate them. Well done SPT/Scotrail.

Let's hope they're not like the barriers at Glasgow Central station, a fuggin' nightmare. In the rest of Europe such barriers are unmanned, only in Glasgow can we provide up to date modern technology and still need three members of staff to operate them. Well done SPT/Scotrail.

SPT has absolutely NO responsibility for the rail network or the franchise for ScotRail - the franchise is administered by Transport Scotland and has been so since 2006 when it was removed from the stewardship of SPT - the barriers were put in place in 2011 at the behest of the rail industry partners who do not include SPT.

So...how will that work for pay-at-the-gate customers?

Right well you will probably get a ticket with a barcode.

The barcode then goes into the ticket machine/scan it.

That's how it works elsewhere at least.

You can also turn these types of turnstyles of so it is PATG, if Falkirk are anything to go by.

Edited by little_miss_jag

SPT has absolutely NO responsibility for the rail network or the franchise for ScotRail - the franchise is administered by Transport Scotland and has been so since 2006 when it was removed from the stewardship of SPT - the barriers were put in place in 2011 at the behest of the rail industry partners who do not include SPT.

Thank you for the clarification Mrs STP. We can discuss expenses scams by senior executives when the topic allows.

Great. It will save the terrible waste of paper - buying tickets only to immediately give them back - we have now.

Will it though? Surely we won't be issuing swipe cards to everyone who buys a single match ticket? Even if it's done for the whole stadium we'll still need to give people something to scan so they can get in. When I attended a game at the Amsterdam Arena I still needed a ticket, which got scanned by a barcode reader to allow entry

To be honest, I'm not convinced this is necessary. There will undoubtedly be teething problems with the system and that could turn off the neutral fan. Think we could be spending this money better elsewhere to be honest.

The barriers were only put in place in 2011? That's ridiculous! In other parts of the country, they were installed in the late 1990s. Barriers increase revenues by a minimum of 30%, often much more. They can also help fight crime by keeping neds and hooligans off trains.

The barriers were only put in place in 2011? That's ridiculous! In other parts of the country, they were installed in the late 1990s. Barriers increase revenues by a minimum of 30%, often much more. They can also help fight crime by keeping neds and hooligans off trains.

Must...resist...drivers...joke...

Was at a Blackpool game recently where they operate this system. Season ticket holders gave some kind of credit card thing and pay at the gate customers by a ticket from the office and it gets scanned at the turnstyle to allow entry. Saves having to have any turnstyle operators who may be utilised elsewhere on match days.

Again well done on the season ticket price freeze. This doesnt affect me but is a great gesture by the club for those who purchased one last season.

Great also that we are keeping under 16s free for home fans whilst also giving a certain amount to away fans - no other clubs in the spl do any of this on the match day!

I wonder if there is any plan to continue the Season Ticket Hospitality Premium for the Season ahead. I was in a group who had a rare time at the final home game of the season and there seemed to be a fair few who have taken the opportunity and not regretted it.

Thank you for the clarification Mrs (eh?) STP (dyslexic?). We can discuss expenses scams by senior executives when the topic allows.

Absolutely - the corruption was unforgivable and should have resulted a far greater purge of the guilty.

Somewhat at a loss as to why you want to pursue this tangential line of inquiry - perhaps revenge for my exposure of your ignorance of the structure of the local rail industry?

You will be pushing at an open door if you want to "discuss" the corruption with me.

I wonder if there is any plan to continue the Season Ticket Hospitality Premium for the Season ahead. I was in a group who had a rare time at the final home game of the season and there seemed to be a fair few who have taken the opportunity and not regretted it.

Actually, I regretted it.

I regretted not getting a few more welcoming champagnes down my neck before the grub; I regretted not getting a few more Chateau de Firhills down my neck before the game started;I regretted not having a couple of more Championees beers after the match; and then,,,, the next day,... I regretted drinking as much as I did on the Saturday!

I was thinking that myself just the other day. Before the barriers were put in staff would at least be employed checking or selling tickets; now they spend most of their time standing around until a passenger gets stuck at the gates, which usually happens because said passenger is too impatient and/or stupid to wait one second for the wee gates to open after his or her ticket has been read by the machine.

Aye, it was funded by FSR and included several low level stations in an attempt to create a 'ring of steel ' around the city centre to stop fare dodgers I'm lead to believe it's been very successful too in terms of increased ticket revenues.

That's good news. Maybe now the good people at FSR will reduce or at least freeze ticket prices.

:tumble:

I was involved in one failure at Parkhead where we had booked online and self-printed "tickets" with bar codes. Only some didn't work! Son-in-law and grandson got through, leaving grandad and other grandson high and dry. Eventually we got in 10 minutes late but had to walk all the way round the stadium to the ticket office and back. Nightmare scenario - what if the wee boys had gone through first then neither adult could follow.....

So you are right, a cheap system would cause a train crash.

(Just so you don't think I am a closet OF, my son-in-law is English, a Fulham supporter, and wanted his son to experience a 70,000 crowd; without doing a whole season at Firhill. )