Mcguigan

Lindau

Heard this last week from a Rovers fan. They want him to take over their Sports Science programme for all teams .Would earn more than he`s getting at Jags so makes sense for the big man.Also the Rovers fans loved him when he was there and he got a regular game.

He has little or no chance of even featuring on the bench next season so it might be worth his while moving on to the Rovers. If he does really well (Nicky Clark-esque) we could always shove a stipulation that he returns to us for the following season

Heard this last week from a Rovers fan. They want him to take over their Sports Science programme for all teams .Would earn more than he`s getting at Jags so makes sense for the big man.Also the Rovers fans loved him when he was there and he got a regular game.

Do we have a sports science programme for our teams? Could we use him in a similar role?

He done the fitness assessments for the youth teams at the Firhill complex last week.

Next season the youth teams will be getting an extra training night which will be to do with sport science which seems to be important aspect of the modern game and player fitness development.

Mark is obviously well clued on this side of things but he will also want to play football and it doesn't look like that will happen regularly with Thistle.

Edited by billko

Dont think he was used to his potential last season, big lad , gets above defences , so id be disappointed to see him go , i think he could be a very very good player for us against these big boys we'll be up against , however , im more often wrong than right !! ( before i get clattered !!)

Personally, I don't even think hes 1st division standard. His two starts last year against Queen's Park and Dunfermline he done himself no favours, he was stinkin in both games.

Heard the one about the t'internet bampot . I was sitting near you at Hampdump and you were stinkin . Lol .What a lot of rubbish you spout.

Heard the one about the t'internet bampot . I was sitting near you at Hampdump and you were stinkin . Lol .What a lot of rubbish you spout.

That disaster of a sentence kills any credibility you ever had, which wasn't much anyway. Thanks for playing.

Think some folks are being really harsh on the big guy. After all, he's only had one season since stepping up from Uni level.

If the Thistle backroom staff had been as quick to judge Kris Doolan when he made the step up, and had that rather unsuccessful loan spell with 3rd Division Clyde, he would never have turned into the player he is today.

• Like 3

I can see why people would defend McGuigan. He seems a really nice guy and brings something to the club off the pitch. But the fact is he's 24 and didn't do much, if anything, in the First Division last season. We're going to the SPL and I don't think he's our answer. I'm fine with him being 4th, maybe 3rd choice striker. But if Albion Rovers want him, it'd be a good move for him personally and we probably shouldn't stand in his way.

Think some folks are being really harsh on the big guy. After all, he's only had one season since stepping up from Uni level.

If the Thistle backroom staff had been as quick to judge Kris Doolan when he made the step up, and had that rather unsuccessful loan spell with 3rd Division Clyde, he would never have turned into the player he is today.

Totally agree with this post. Some people are too quick to judge when the guy has hardly had a chance.

When you're near top of the 1st Div there's plenty of occasions when you can bring on a guy like McGuigan later on in the game. He'll do fine helping to protect a lead, fresh pair of legs upfront that sort of thing. We'll be lucky to be protecting that many leads next season so we'll require subs to com on and change a game and to help us push on. I have my doubts McGuigan is anywhere near that level.

I still think it would be too early to think of moving him on. A short period on loan then maybe a decision in January might be the better option. He's always appeared as reasonably mobile and strong enough to play at a good level so I feel we'd be justified in giving him a wee bit longer to develop.

Hardly had any sort of chance last season due to the form of Doolan and Craig, and the fact that we only really played with one out and out striker.

To be honest I don't think he did anything wrong when he was playing, although I missed the QP game and Hampden. In the last game at Firhill against Dunfermline I thought he did OK.

I would maybe loan him out again to Albion Rovers and make a decision on him in January, as has already been suggested.

• Like 1

I would like to see Mark get a good run of games in pre season to see what he can offer last season apart from being on loan he only got a limited amount of time with us you never know what he can produce unless he gets a chance best of luck bigman

• Like 1

I think he needs games before we can truly judge the guy.

Get him out on loan until January and utilise his sports science qualifications at Firhill in the meantime. We should then have an idea whether he is going to be good enough for us.

• Like 1

To be honest, I don't think the guy is ever going to light up the footballing world. Steady 1st or 2nd division player probably.

If he can go on and gain sports science experience, in a proper capacity, then he should definitely follow that. Could have a longer and more fruitful career in the coaching side of things. I imagine clubs will be willing to spend big bucks to get that extra 10% out their players. Good investment.

Out of interest, is the sports psychologist women going to keep working with us?

To be honest, I don't think the guy is ever going to light up the footballing world. Steady 1st or 2nd division player probably.

If he can go on and gain sports science experience, in a proper capacity, then he should definitely follow that. Could have a longer and more fruitful career in the coaching side of things. I imagine clubs will be willing to spend big bucks to get that extra 10% out their players. Good investment.

Out of interest, is the sports psychologist women going to keep working with us?

Hopefully she can do something about the catering.........

:rocker:

• Like 1