Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

I don't like what I'm about to say, but I feel that if McNamara was still in charge we would have more signing options given his contacts and past experience. Archie might just be relying on hearsay and agents. I trust he'll do what he can though, and I am confident that we will stay up next year.

However, I honestly think that Morton would've won the league if McNamara had stayed.

In Archie we trust. I just hope he gets a bit of help...

• Members

I don't like what I'm about to say, but I feel that if McNamara was still in charge we would have more signing options given his contacts and past experience. Archie might just be relying on hearsay and agents. I trust he'll do what he can though, and I am confident that we will stay up next year.

However, I honestly think that Morton would've won the league if McNamara had stayed.

In Archie we trust. I just hope he gets a bit of help...

Not so sure Vinny. He's not done very much this pre-season with United and with a lot more cash available than he would have had at Firhill.

I actually was thinking the same thing as veejag but willjag u make an excellent point.

I 100% trust archie, but i do fear his profile (or lack thereof) may mean we struggle to get bodies in this summer.

I personally think we are in for a right struggle to stay up, depending on what happens with hearts of course. But im right lookin forward to us giving it a shot! Cmon theeeesellll!

I think too much is made of 'contacts' that a manager has. Agents are whores and will try pass their players off to anyone, plus most contract expiration dates are out there in the open so all it takes is a little research to find a transfer target. I don't see how having contacts is that much of an advantage.

I suppose our younger players have matured enough to not be "influenced" if we signed someone like Riordan. I don't tho' like the idea if true that our conditions we've offered wouldn't be good enough for him. Riordan has a hell of a lot to prove. I'd have thought a shortish contract even at a basement SPL club would be a sufficient platform for the guy.

Then again at his age he might be looking for one last crack at a daft salary before he packs it in. I'm all for us taking a gamble on a daftie but I'd be looking for him to be desperate to play for us.

I don't think the issue is with Archie and his level of contacts, more that our scouting network isn't as wide as some of the others- even Ross County seem to be plucking players from across Europe (is Calderwood's son still there) and ICT are hoovering up from the English lower leagues. We've only really been linked with SPL frees and the odd up and coming lower division player.

As said, agents will hawk their players to anyone, we just have to accept that we're not going to be most folk's first choice. As a result I wouldn't expect to see much more activity until the first week of pre-season.

• Like 1

I think too much is made of 'contacts' that a manager has. Agents are whores and will try pass their players off to anyone, plus most contract expiration dates are out there in the open so all it takes is a little research to find a transfer target. I don't see how having contacts is that much of an advantage.

Contacts matter if you are trying to bring a player in on loan. If it's young player, the lending club will need to be confident that he will be coached well and get the right experience during the loan period.

With Lawless away is anyone else getting a bit worried that the team is weaker than last seasons and we are in for a torrid time?

I beginning to think that Archie made a mistake by not offering Paton and Erskine, and even Steve Craig deals.

Lawless is not leaving (yet), it's just a rumour of interest from Willem II.

IIRC Archie said that Paton and Erskine were offered new deals but rejected them as they were offered better terms by McNamara.

I beginning to think that Archie made a mistake by not offering Paton and Erskine, and even Steve Craig deals.

Do you honestly think Erskine left because he wasn't offered a deal?

I'm sure we probably did and if we didn't, it was because we knew he was off elsewhere. Archie would obviously have wanted him to stay.

Do you honestly think Erskine left because he wasn't offered a deal?

I'm sure we probably did and if we didn't, it was because we knew he was off elsewhere. Archie would obviously have wanted him to stay.

I am sure they were offered deals.

However I read on here that Archie was given a chance to offer CE and PP similar deals as DUFC but he refused as he thought he could do better for the money.

He might be regretting that now as if Lawless leaves we are sorely lacking creativity.

• Like 1

Erskine I know for fact was asked by Archie to keep the club informed about what DU's offer was.

I'm also sure that we offered the same terms as DU but could not offer those terms on the length of contract he was given by them.

There's a lot of players out there and i'd imagine a few we are after have other offers or have been asked to wait.

I'm sure there will be a number of trialists coming in for training on Monday also.

The next person that mentions about how McNamara got folk signed up early last year remember that many of them were youngsters released by other clubs like Lawless.

I'd imagine that Archie & Shaggy looking for players who have a bit more SPL experience but at the same time fit into our system & style of playing.

In the words of Corporal Jones, "Don't Panic!!"

Edited by Trotter