Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

I personally think that we wont see much more happening in the signing stakes at Firhill. Archie to go with more or less what hes got.

Archie will need a few more under-21s to add to his squad and is taking a few trialists going down to Durham. In addition, he needs to replace himself (doesn't expect to play this season), Paton and Erskine at the very least.

It's likely the club will be offered players on loan after the big clubs play friendlies and finalise their squads. The rich English clubs put out at least dozen young players on loan each season.

The transfer window is open for two more months so it will take time to get the players in.

I personally think that we wont see much more happening in the signing stakes at Firhill. Archie to go with more or less what hes got.

No chance - there are still signings to be made, but as kni says it might take a while. I've said before I reckon there's four more to come in; in the positions Alan Murray's suggested. It could be that Archie only brings in three, but his business definitely isn't over.

Correct kni, Archie himself said a lot of players will be holding out to see what deals they are offered and suggested pre-season could be well underway before more new signings come in. We might even be signing someone at the start of the season. I think we'll bring in cover for centre half/left back and a holding midfielder. After that a couple of more attacking players are required - ideally players that can really improve the team, not just offer cover for current players.

No chance - there are still signings to be made, but as kni says it might take a while. I've said before I reckon there's four more to come in; in the positions Alan Murray's suggested. It could be that Archie only brings in three, but his business definitely isn't over.

I see where you are coming from, but the Hearts situation has altered the dynamics slightly. Maybe NOT the urgency that may have been there before. U-20s, fair enough!.

I'm on holiday from the 7th to 21st July - won't be checking any Thistle news - and I'm hoping by the time I'm back there's a couple of signings in! :cheers:

I'm pretty sure there will be. My main concern is in the striking department. Hope to be proved wrong, but I don't see McGuigan or Ellott as adequatbeing likely to trouble SPL defences. Confident that Doolan will surprise many at that level but he will require support. I don't see where the required striker is going to come from in Scotland unless a loan arrangement - and SPL outfits are reluctant to boost the chances of rivals! Maybe there's another Eddie Prudham (ask your dad) on the horizon from down south ?

I guess if we were after Graham and showed interest in Sutton then it's likely we'll still be on the look out for a big fella upfront. Craig (not exactly a big 'un granted) was deemed either too old and/or no longer SPL class but that tells us little. Maybe Archie will just gamble on a big younger lad with promise and if he's not that great just hope we'll do as last season and get goals from all over the park.

I'm far from convinced Archie should go too much over budget on a big centre forward when defensive midfield is the priority. Get that sorted, thus freeing up Welsh, Bannigan & Forbes to get further forward could mean, tho' by no means ideal, we could go with what we've got up front..

I see where you are coming from, but the Hearts situation has altered the dynamics slightly. Maybe NOT the urgency that may have been there before.

Agree with this. I guess we will still run with the budget that was thrashed out not long after we finished last season so Archie will have targets and he stated it would take longer to put the finishing touches to the squad this season. There are a lot of players looking for clubs in Scotland, the UK and Europe so I expect a few signings by the end of July.

We still have a Chris Erskine sized hole in the team. Maybe we will go for a loan signing to replace his pace and creativity, not to mention his goals, in the side?

In general we need some more pace in the attack and coming from midfield, imo.

Thought I'd flag up a post from Pie & Bovril which is most likely shite, but still provides us with a talking point. It's from a Hibs thread...

"Cairney won't be at the club next season from what I've heard. He's in talks to get released and head back to Partick. He is playing today though."

I agree that it most probably is shite, given that it has come from Pie & Bovril, but I would be very happy if it turned out to be true.

Edited by Guy Incognito

Thought I'd flag up a post from Pie & Bovril which is most likely shite, but still provides us with a talking point. It's from a Hibs thread...

"Cairney won't be at the club next season from what I've heard. He's in talks to get released and head back to Partick. He is playing today though."

I am not sure if I would want him back as he hasn't really proved that he can hack it at SPL

I am not sure if I would want him back as he hasn't really proved that he can hack it at SPL

Check out the video highlights on the official site for the past couple of seasons. Two things become clear - Erskine has been superb at both scoring and setting up goals for us and Cairney is some football player. Love to see him back. He can more than hack it at the top level. Hibs had no idea how to use him.

• Like 1

Cairney had a great start at Hibs, not sure why he dropped out of the picture later on in the season. Wouldn't be surprised if McNamara wanted him, he got the best out of him at Thistle.

brother who is a hibs fan said he may have crohn's disease dont know if thats what he had problems with before?

brother who is a hibs fan said he may have crohn's disease dont know if thats what he had problems with before?

He is correct however he had it when he had that great last season with us and it didnt seem to do him much harm then! If Hibs are gonna release him he is worth the risk

Edited by Lindau

Would Cairney be fit enough? I got the impression that even when he was playing so well for us in his last season that he'd have struggled if he'd have stayed on last season. At his fittest his stamina, if not his pace, was never in doubt, so if we were getting Paul back at that level I'd be all for it. What worries me would be Cairney returning with a fitness/mobility level similar to Forbes last season. The former just doesn't have the delivery of the latter to compensate. That said I can't see Archie signing Cairney unless he was super fit.

The paragraph about any signing having to fit in with our style of play and have the right character to fit in with the squad is music to my ears. We were successful last season largely because the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. While I feel our players are mature enough to not necessarily be influenced by a bad apple signing it's good to know that Archie values the team spirit so highly. Perhaps that's one overlooked benefit of having the manager come out of the ranks rather than bringing in an experienced guy with no knowledge re the character of the players.

I'm also pleasantly surprised Shaggy is talking about 5 or 6 players. I'm assuming he's not including youngsters solely earmarked for the under 20s tho' they some might be well be that age. I got the impression on here at least that we were really only expecting 3 or 4 further signings.