Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

That type of player with that level of ability. But isn't Willie Gibson just the sort of character that wouldn't be "the right type of player for the dressing room"?

I mean, the sort of player that is probably too good for the division they're in and wouldn't cost us too much to take a gamble on them, like Gibson, Swankie etc

If we were looking for that type of player then I wouldn't mind the club having a look at Joe Cardle. A wide player who scored 8 goals in the SPL with a struggling side and less of an attitude problem. I believe he's pre-season training with Raith Rovers but hasn't signed anything.

He's no Erskine but I doubt we'll be able to replace him with anyone similar since there isn't anyone quite like him.

If we were looking for that type of player then I wouldn't mind the club having a look at Joe Cardle. A wide player who scored 8 goals in the SPL with a struggling side and less of an attitude problem. I believe he's pre-season training with Raith Rovers but hasn't signed anything.

He's no Erskine but I doubt we'll be able to replace him with anyone similar since there isn't anyone quite like him.

On that note, I can recomend whiling away some of the close season by watching the match highlights videos on the official site. What stands out is that Erskine IS probably irreplacable. Apart from maybe McFadden, I can't think of another player in Scotland who has the combination of skills and abilities Erskine has. (Some which he has developed over his time with us - one of the greatest pleasure I had in watching Thistle last season was the look of surprise on opponents' faces when Erskine tracked back and took the ball off them.)

Having said that, there's no guarantee that he can perform at the same level in the top division. It's a shame we won't get to find out with him in a Thistle jersey, but that's just football. It's also worth noting that Erskine had been dismissed by professional football in this country. Hats off to McCall for finding him - and Doolan - and allowing us the pleasure of watching them play for the Jags.

Now where is the new Erskine going to come from?...

On that note, I can recomend whiling away some of the close season by watching the match highlights videos on the official site. What stands out is that Erskine IS probably irreplacable. Apart from maybe McFadden, I can't think of another player in Scotland who has the combination of skills and abilities Erskine has. (Some which he has developed over his time with us - one of the greatest pleasure I had in watching Thistle last season was the look of surprise on opponents' faces when Erskine tracked back and took the ball off them.)

Having said that, there's no guarantee that he can perform at the same level in the top division. It's a shame we won't get to find out with him in a Thistle jersey, but that's just football. It's also worth noting that Erskine had been dismissed by professional football in this country. Hats off to McCall for finding him - and Doolan - and allowing us the pleasure of watching them play for the Jags.

Now where is the new Erskine going to come from?...

The club website says that it was Bobby Dinnie who found Erskine - "Of the current squad Chris Erskine and Kris Doolan were spotted by Bobby".

Willie Gibson and Joe Cardle are not the quality we are looking for.

Scott Patterson said that we are looking to bring in 5 or 6 players in. Think we will bring in another 3 or 4 experienced players and the rest will be younger types.

What is the quality we are looking for? John Baird with his massive haul of SPL goals? Mark Kerr who was on trial who has barely kicked a ball in the last year?

It seems you are overestimating the quality of player the club can attract.

A flair forward/midfielder that does average to OK in a lower division will often excel when playing with better players. A rock steady forward/midfielder but lacking flair that excels in a lower division will usually come up short in a higher division, regardless of the extra quality with which he'll be playing.

From what I've seen of both Gibson and Cardle there's no reason to believe they wouldn't cut it in the SPL except of course if they don't pass the "dressing room test" that Shaggy mentions.

A flair forward/midfielder that does average to OK in a lower division will often excel when playing with better players. A rock steady forward/midfielder but lacking flair that excels in a lower division will usually come up short in a higher division, regardless of the extra quality with which he'll be playing.

From what I've seen of both Gibson and Cardle there's no reason to believe they wouldn't cut it in the SPL except of course if they don't pass the "dressing room test" that Shaggy mentions.

Willie Gibson was good for Kilmarnock in the SPL and managed a £100k move to Crawley.

The paragraph about any signing having to fit in with our style of play and have the right character to fit in with the squad is music to my ears. We were successful last season largely because the whole was greater than the sum of the parts. While I feel our players are mature enough to not necessarily be influenced by a bad apple signing it's good to know that Archie values the team spirit so highly. Perhaps that's one overlooked benefit of having the manager come out of the ranks rather than bringing in an experienced guy with no knowledge re the character of the players.

I'm also pleasantly surprised Shaggy is talking about 5 or 6 players. I'm assuming he's not including youngsters solely earmarked for the under 20s tho' they some might be well be that age. I got the impression on here at least that we were really only expecting 3 or 4 further signings.

It is possible a couple of them may be loan players, which is fine as long as they are the right kind of player.

What is the quality we are looking for? John Baird with his massive haul of SPL goals? Mark Kerr who was on trial who has barely kicked a ball in the last year?

It seems you are overestimating the quality of player the club can attract.

Mark Kerr was injured for most of last season. Baird played much better when Brown arrived and moved him into the middle for Dundee. 3 of his 4 goals came after this move.

Archie is looking for players as good as or better than the players we already have here. In my opinion Gibson and Cardle don't past this test.

Mark Kerr was injured for most of last season. Baird played much better when Brown arrived and moved him into the middle for Dundee. 3 of his 4 goals came after this move.

Archie is looking for players as good as or better than the players we already have here. In my opinion Gibson and Cardle don't past this test.

I didn't say Kerr wasn't injured, I said he hardly kicked a ball which is true. There seems to be some sort of acceptance that Baird was never played up front before Brown was in charge. Even if we accept this as fact when it's not it leaves his record as an SPL striker as a whopping 3 goals in 13 games. Strange that a player you write off as not good enough scored at a similar rate (8 in 36) in the SPL without playing up front at all as Baird who you were claiming as a decent signing.

We don't have a left sided midfielder good enough unless you are planning on switching Lawless to the side he is less comfortable on or moving Bannigan out of the middle so this "players as good as or better than the players we already have" argument is nonsense.

Better than we already have? Where are Thistle going to find the money to sign Barcelona and Bayern players?

The ‘players as good as or better than the players we already have’ argument comes from Archie so you are basically saying our manger is talking nonsense. It’s not a statement based upon position by position it’s a general statement of the quality we are looking for.

Joe Cardle is a decent player and the 8 goals he scored in the SPL is a good effort. However is you look at his scoring record in other seasons it does look like a blip. Were you at the last Raith game at Firhill? Cardle caused us problems for the first 30 mins when Raith were on top, when we took control he dropped right out the game. I think we can do better.

Regarding Baird’s scoring record, any of our players will be do well to get above ten league goals, just take a look at Ross county, Richard Brittain is their top scorer in the league with 9 goals and he is the penalty taker.

Edited by Alan Murray

The ‘players as good as or better than the players we already have’ argument comes from Archie so you are basically saying our manger is talking nonsense. It’s not a statement based upon position by position it’s a general statement of the quality we are looking for.

Joe Cardle is a decent player and the 8 goals he scored in the SPL is a good effort. However is you look at his scoring record in other seasons it does look like a blip. Were you at the last Raith game at Firhill? Cardle caused us problems for the first 30 mins when Raith were on top, when we took control he dropped right out the game. I think we can do better.

Regarding Baird’s scoring record, any of our players will be do well to get above ten league goals, just take a look at Ross county, Richard Brittain is their top scorer in the league with 9 goals and he is the penalty taker.

I'm saying your argument regarding what Archie said is nonsense, not what he said was nonsense. We don't have a left midfielder unless you weaken the team by moving others away from their stronger positions therefore to claim any player suggested in this thread for that position is not better than what we have there is flawed.

County never started the season and finished the season with the same recognised striker but if you want to use that as some sort of justification Baird's goal tally was anything other than dreadful then feel free.

Cardle caused our defence more problems in half an hour at Firhill in his first start for an unfamiliar team than most did all season at home. If that one game is your justification for someone being not good enough then you could conclude a few of our players aren't either.