Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

It's interesting to read that folk are uninspired with our signings so far and wonder if we were inspired last year with the guys we brought in or promoted to 1st team.

Bannigan only started the season because Sinclair was injured if I remember correctly

Muirhead was untried at Div 1

Balatoni was hardly pick of the previous season

Lawless - what had he done

Forbes - ditto

Craigen -University player only

All the above are probably 1st pick this season

In fact, the ones who were inspiring didn't really reach the heights that we expected ie Murray,Welsh,Slane

I am always willing to give the players a chance before making decisions about how they do for Thistle

Exactly, i think it would be foolish of folk to discount Carey. whilst some st mirren fans weren't fussed to see him go, it should be remembered that his last 6 months at the club were never going to be great after he put in a transfer request at christmas. what would be a better thing to remember is that when they brought him back after his first loan spell, they were pretty much over the moon.

He can play left back, left mid, centre mid, left wing and behind the striker. has a peach of a free kick, great long throw and a great cross from out wide. i'd say thats exactly the sort of player we should be looking at!

In contrast to that a number of St Mirrens fans opinions I read were that they were gutted he had left and seemed to suggest he would have no problems getting another SPL club and coming back to haunt them. I have to say the majoirty I read rated him highly

There's a lot of love going around for Jimmy Craigan. However, whilst I agree that some of his performances in the second half of last season demonstrated his considerable potential, he's not yet a starter for me. He's too raw and lacks positional awareness and discipline. One for 2014-15 hopefully.

It's interesting to read that folk are uninspired with our signings so far and wonder if we were inspired last year with the guys we brought in or promoted to 1st team.

Bannigan only started the season because Sinclair was injured if I remember correctly

Forbes - ditto

In fact, the ones who were inspiring didn't really reach the heights that we expected ie Murray,Welsh,Slane

I am always willing to give the players a chance before making decisions about how they do for Thistle

i don't have the time to go through post history to discount pretty much the majority of your post lenzie, but for starters

i think you would be hard pushed to find a thistle fan who didn't think banzo would start the season in our first 11. his end to the previous season was one of the reasons we were excited about starting last season. he was a revelation in a typically average thistle season.

i called early a midfield 3 of murray welsh and bannigan as our first choice last year, obviously we had no idea Paton and Murray would form a partnership that would see us have one of our best ever starts to a season, and that banzo would start at left back,

There's a lot of love going around for Jimmy Craigan. However, whilst I agree that some of his performances in the second half of last season demonstrated his considerable potential, he's not yet a starter for me. He's too raw and lacks positional awareness and discipline. One for 2014-15 hopefully.

i'd have him ahead of forbes.

Ducks for cover from all the folk wearing rose tinted glasses.

Forbes - ditto

What? How didn't Welsh hit the heights we expected? I though Welsh was excellent and would be one of my first picks into the team. He does a lot of hard work off the ball to make sure the team wins, as well as being very comfortable on the ball. Is there not some stat that Welsh went unbeaten for a whole calender year?

• Like 1

Carey could be a reasonably good signing. Not sure of his mobility and suspect he could be a little similar to Forbes but he's capable of playing on the wing and has a good left foot. As PT said above, United have got him fit so he would be coming in at similar fitness level to the rest of the squad. However, I find it slightly bizarre that United have played him in all their friendlies to date, haven't looked at another left back yet have now decided, only 10 days before the start of the season, that they're not interested. They must be going with the young boy Robertson who they signed (poached seems to be a better word) from Queens Park.

What? How didn't Welsh hit the heights we expected? I though Welsh was excellent and would be one of my first picks into the team. He does a lot of hard work off the ball to make sure the team wins, as well as being very comfortable on the ball. Is there not some stat that Welsh went unbeaten for a whole calender year?

Agree. I think he's massively underrated.

Carey could be a reasonably good signing. Not sure of his mobility and suspect he could be a little similar to Forbes but he's capable of playing on the wing and has a good left foot. As PT said above, United have got him fit so he would be coming in at similar fitness level to the rest of the squad. However, I find it slightly bizarre that United have played him in all their friendlies to date, haven't looked at another left back yet have now decided, only 10 days before the start of the season, that they're not interested. They must be going with the young boy Robertson who they signed (poached seems to be a better word) from Queens Park.

Strange one, maybe he told jackie in conversation that he thought he treated thistle badly, and jackie punted him?

He can play left back, left mid, centre mid, left wing and behind the striker. has a peach of a free kick, great long throw and a great cross from out wide. i'd say thats exactly the sort of player we should be looking at!

You're not a football agent in your spare time, Dave? :)

To be serious tho' I'd like to know why McNamara knocked him back. If it wasn't for attitude and/or fitness reasons then he sounds well worth signing. Saying that I don't see why Carey would have to go on trial at another Scottish club if it wasn't for doubts unrelated to his ability.

Saw Forbes at Dumbarton - he was chasing balls 70 yards in both directions, defence and attack. If he can keep this up ive no worries about his fitness.

Forbes has been impressive tho' he's the type of player that will shine in friendlies when there's little in the way of crunching tackles etc. I think Archie, while not exactly building the team round him, views Forbes as a key player. Plenty of room in the squad for another creative left sided player like Carey..

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

I dont think we`ll see much of Craigen this year now that Fraser has signed.Gary , in my opinion , is a far better option.

You see to really have it in for Craigen and absolutely love "the big man" McGuigan. Any reason for this?

Forbes - ditto

Less inspiration is required when you're in the 1st Division and have no chance of getting relegated.

Do we need Carey?

Midfield well covered & not sure he's an Erskine replacement.

As many have said he's similar to Forbes & not sure Forbes capable of playing Erskine's role- even if he's looking a lot fitter this season.

Ratnamara was looking at Carey as a left back & again we're well covered there.

Now the Centre half trialist he didn't want... ;)

Does anyone else think there is an over reliance on Hearts being pish this year?

Going by previous seasons getting about 33 points (41 last year) was enough to stay in the SPL.

Hearts would need to amass 48 points to reach that amount, which under usual circumstances would be enough for a top 6 place.

Outwith an Herculean effort from their players Hearts look certain to finish last.

Hearts still have a good first team and host of promising youngsters. I think if they can stay largely injury/suspension free, then over the course of a season 15 points isn't insurmountable. A few early season wins and they are right back in it. No doubting though their squad is very thin and the second half of the season could be an issue.