Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

Osbourne would be a wonderful signing. Certainly he would be a mark-up on Paul Paton, who himself did rather well in the holding midfield position.

I think he is a good player but Aberdeen only got 25-26 games out of him a season.

Probably a good 25 games but it's a gamble.

Archie has said that Mukendi has replaced McGuigan "like for like".

He strongly mentioned previously that Mukendi wasn't a target man.

Is this him changing his mind?

"The worst thing that probably happened to Mark was us getting promoted, to be honest.

"He wasn't tried and tested at First Division level, so he now has a chance to go and play games."

So what division is Mukendi tried and tested in?

In effect, Archie is saying that McGuigan is not good enough but does not want to admit it.

Edited by kni

McGuigan's height and strength allows him to play as a target man but for a big guy he is very mobile, quick and quite skillful. I don't think Mukendi has his strength (he is younger) but he is mobile, able to play throught he middle or on the wing and is supposedly skilful (haven't seen him just reports) so in that way there are similarities though probably Mukendi (until he bulks up a bit) will prefer to play wide rather than out and out centre forward.

Kni

In effect, Archie is saying that McGuigan is not good enough but does not want to admit it.

No, he's just being sensible. The guy will be on low wages with us (and on a year's contract anyway) and could definitley do a job in an emergency. He said he suggested he would only be a bench ('impact' is the polite word) at best and the boy took the option of regular football.

There's also the point if we do get relegated he'd be a useful player to have if we have to cut out budget and lose more expensive players. Also coaches and managers see players a lot more than we do and can (usually) judge better. It's more likely he genuine believes these's a good player in McGuigan if he can get it out of him.

Remember, ARchie didn't sign him so there's no reason for him to avoid 'admitting a mistake' with the player as he's not his protoge.

Edited by Mr Bunny

He's not.

He's saying there are other players at the moment ahead of him and he's got a guy on loan who he aims to utilise the same way as he would've done with Mark.

McGuigan is fit, reasonably nippy and strong. Like many others I have my doubts as to whether he'll make it in the top flight or not at least he's got three of maybe five attributes you look for in a forward. Not sure if the 3rd Division is where he should be getting schooling but time will tell. Perhaps he'll come back a better player than Mukendi?

Archie says he still on look out for 3 in tonight's Times.

http://www.eveningti...31544n.21703197

Osbourne, defender, striker.

That'd be my ideal three then. Osbourne's a good player, injury prone perhaps but worth a risk I'd say. He can play a few positions. If we could bring in a left-sided defender, who can play centre-half too that'd give us central defensive options of: Muirhead, Balatoni, McMillan, Osbourne, new signing and Lindsay. I'd prefer McMillan at right-back and Osbourne as a holding midfielder but we know they can do a job in the middle if need be.

I still feel we need a striker. I hope Doolan can do the job but what if he's not up to the SPL? Then we've Baird, who didn't really prove himself last season, and Mukendi who is a total unknown prospect for us. Elliott I see as a wide player now. We badly need a proven striker - Darryl Duffy?

I think Erskine's replacement could be in the squad already and I'm unsure we'll buy another winger now. I'd start Craigen there, Elliott is back-up as is Mukendi. And Bannigan can also go there, so there's 4 options within the team (outside of McAleer and McDaid who can hopefully push on). I would say none of them are as good as Erskine, but Craigen (and I'd guess Mukendi) definitely has the potential to play well there.

I can't see Hearts overturning a 15 point deficit on us over the course of the season, I reckon we'll finish 8th-11th. Looking at last night we could be battling with Hibs, you'd certainly think St. Mirren, Ross County have lost key players and changed their style so they could be down there, and Kilmarnock I reckon will be down there. But who knows! Can't wait until next Friday...

I think Erskine's replacement could be in the squad already and I'm unsure we'll buy another winger now. I'd start Craigen there, Elliott is back-up as is Mukendi. And Bannigan can also go there, so there's 4 options within the team (outside of McAleer and McDaid who can hopefully push on). I would say none of them are as good as Erskine, but Craigen (and I'd guess Mukendi) definitely has the potential to play well there.

We also have McAleer who is eligible for the U20s.

I agree that if fit Isaiah Osbourne would be a great signing if fit. Plenty of expereince at a good level with Coventry and more importantly good experience in the SPL with Aberdeen - just important he stays fit

I think I'm getting the gist of this. It's Isaac Osbourne who was at Aberdeen. It was Isaiah Osbourne that was at Hibs.

I agree that if fit Isaiah Osbourne would be a great signing if fit. Plenty of expereince at a good level with Coventry and more importantly good experience in the SPL with Aberdeen - just important he stays fit

TL, do you think fitness might be an issue?

• Like 1

Mentioned it earlier in thread but Andy Webster still without a club. Injury prone but it might be worth offering a basic wage with a pay as you play on top of that. He's probably looking for a lot more than that but the season starts next week so he might take it

Mentioned it earlier in thread but Andy Webster still without a club. Injury prone but it might be worth offering a basic wage with a pay as you play on top of that. He's probably looking for a lot more than that but the season starts next week so he might take it

Would love to see him play for us, even if it's just for 6 months - seems unlikely though given the level of the people we have signed so far.