Transfer Targets

ForeverandEver

Good stuff, just another striker needed now. Although, we're likely to only ever play with one up front so unless it's a youngster on loan who'll be expected to feature mainly as a sub, don't think we'll be getting one?

In midfield does that mean we will have one of Osbourne & Murray for a purely defensive midfield role, possibly alongside Bannigan in the centre? Then you have Kerr, Forbes, Welsh, Fraser, Craigen, competing for the other spots - two wide and one advanced midfield role, not sure who is going to be suited to the wide roles. Is Bannigan really best suited?

Edited to add: The young Spanish midfielder on a 2-year deal is an interesting one, give him six months in the U20 side and who knows, if he adapts well enough he might be able to compete for a first team place after Fraser's loan spell is up.

Edited by soulful_jag

It's interesting that when McDaid, Meechan and Martin signed it was made clear that they would go straight into the -20s squad. Colina, on the other hand, is clearly expected to push for a first team place, despite only being 18:

"Last year Simon was captain of the Barcelona Under 19 side and will join up with his new team mates for an assault on the SPFL Premiership."

Good stuff, just another striker needed now. Although, we're likely to only ever play with one up front so unless it's a youngster on loan who'll be expected to feature mainly as a sub, don't think we'll be getting one?

In midfield does that mean we will have one of Osbourne & Murray for a purely defensive midfield role, possibly alongside Bannigan in the centre? Then you have Kerr, Forbes, Welsh, Fraser, Craigen, competing for the other spots - two wide and one advanced midfield role, not sure who is going to be suited to the wide roles. Is Bannigan really best suited?

Edited to add: The young Spanish midfielder on a 2-year deal is an interesting one, give him six months in the U20 side and who knows, if he adapts well enough he might be able to compete for a first team place after Fraser's loan spell is up.

Agree with most of that but Mukendi will also compete for a wide role. 4-5-1 does look like the obvious formation with this squad

Fox/Gallacher

O'Donnell/McMillan

Gabriel/Muirhead

Balatoni/Lindsay

Sinclair/Bannigan

Lawless/Craigen

Osbourne/Murray

Fraser/Kerr

Forbes/Welsh

Mukendi/Elliott

Doolan/Baird

Others - McAleer, McDaid, Colina

We're still crying out for a a left winger though. I'd say this is more pressing than getting another striker.

Would agree with that.

If anything, we are still needing someone who can play in a free role and produce a bit of magic, like Erskine.

The current squad, with Erskine in it - now there's a thought.

We're still crying out for a a left winger though. I'd say this is more pressing than getting another striker.

Baird and Doolan have only scored one goal each, against Gateshead and Annan respectively,in pre-season. Most of our goals have come from midfielders and trialists.

Would agree with that.

If anything, we are still needing someone who can play in a free role and produce a bit of magic, like Erskine.

The current squad, with Erskine in it - now there's a thought.

Next season after we finish in the top 6 we can bring back Erksine and Cairney.

Stawner.

Surely Muirhead will be a regular starter? He was brilliant last season.

So was Balatoni right enough, just in my head I've got it as Muirhead and A.N Other (Balatoni/Gabriel).

Gabriel started against Limassol so I put him first. Gabriel, Muirhead and Balatoni have had similar amounts of game time in pre-season. Only the manager knows his first-choice central defensive pairing.

If further down the line we sell Colina will we have to pay Barcelona a youth development fee? Almost worth it for the sheer kudos. :D

No compensation of any kind due to Barca I'm told, even we make money off him in future. They wavered all of that to give the boy a better chance of a fresh start. Seems that even the biggest of the big clubs can be good guys sometimes.

• Like 3

Forgot all about Mukendi :blush:

Don't know enough about him to know whether he is going to tried as a wide attacker or the central role.

He's certainly worth trying in a central role if Doolan and Baird are struggling to score.

I see. Who would you start?

I would probably start Muirhead and Balatoni because they have played together more often and know each other's game well. Hopefully, Muirhead will stay cool as opponents will try to wind him up.

Baird and Doolan have only scored one goal each, against Gateshead and Annan respectively,in pre-season. Most of our goals have come from midfielders and trialists.

I'm not saying another striker would't be nice, but against Limassol Bannigan was forced out left, which didn't really work. A dedicated winger would also help our current strikers by providing a better supply. And I'm not sure what others think, but Mukendi looks more of a striker than a winger to me.

Great signings I think, youth and experience, exactly what the current team is all about.

The spanish lad, crikey. If someone had told me a year ago that we would be signing players from Barcelona, I'd have got them sectioned.

Credit must go to the jags fan that was responsible for bringing all these lads over from Spain.

whoever he is, i reckon we owe him a resounding muchas gracias!

I'm delighted at how the team is shaping up.

Our only real loss from last season is Erskine. Paton was a good player, but was absent for the majority for the run in of the season, and is completely replaceable. Issac Osborne, I think, is a better player so I am delighted with the signing.

The young Spanish lad is a great capture. To be accepted into the Barca academy is probably the highest honour for a young footballer, so he's obviously got a wealth of talent. Can't wait to see him in action.

Still a tad sceptical that we have a few too many midfielders, but I guess with having to field 7 subs and the number of knocks we will pick up, it is better to be slightly over capacity. I'd still like to see us bring in another sticker with a bit of experience and some height and strength. I see County brought some attacker from Grasshopper Zurich in on loan, maybe we could go down the same route. Bring in Friday.

I am fully with the majority on the opinion of Muirhead and rate him

Kni

You appear to be critical of Muirhead

Is this due to the final and his actions something he should not have done however the action from a fellow professional after the penalty miss was beyond believe

I noticed his 1st booking was separating a tussle with welshie at Hamilton followed by 2 bookings for commitment to tackles 1 that SOD clearly sold him short with pass at raise

I believe Aaro and con are a long term pairing for Thistle now they signed extensions to their contracts

I was sitting a row in front of Kenny Shiels on Saturday who passed comment on how he rated Muirhead and thought he has a bright future in the game

Come on the jags

Lets all get behind each player and management team to compete and survive the SPl next season

Would still like another CB, preferably one that can cover LB. It's not a necessity but giving how many midfielders we have it would make sense to have some cover for CB/LB. Only having 1 backup CB is abit of a risk, unless Lindsay/McMillan are deemed suitable replacements for any of the current 3CB's.

Also need a winger & a striker, one that could cover both positions would do but we definitely need cover for Baird/Doolan, Elliott may turn out good but to rely on him to contribute regularly is risky (as a winger or striker).

I am fully with the majority on the opinion of Muirhead and rate him

Kni

You appear to be critical of Muirhead

Is this due to the final and his actions something he should not have done however the action from a fellow professional after the penalty miss was beyond believe

I noticed his 1st booking was separating a tussle with welshie at Hamilton followed by 2 bookings for commitment to tackles 1 that SOD clearly sold him short with pass at raise

I believe Aaro and con are a long term pairing for Thistle now they signed extensions to their contracts

I was sitting a row in front of Kenny Shiels on Saturday who passed comment on how he rated Muirhead and thought he has a bright future in the game

Come on the jags

Lets all get behind each player and management team to compete and survive the SPl next season

Utter nonsense! Read post 1214 above. Where have I said (on any thread) that I did not rate Muirhead? Get a grip!

He will stay cool as he did for the high majority of season

Gabrial has only played 2. Games and i do not see him splitting the 2 centre backs at the moment and refer to 1210

Regardless of team selection lets get behind them from Friday night

And yes football is all about opinions hence why we all share them

Delighted we have signed a player of Isaac Osbourne's pedigree, he will be the tough man we need in midfield. His injury record is a worry but we have plenty of midfield cover if this does happen.

He has played at centre back as well so gives us extra cover.

The signing of Simon Colina is an interesting one, looking forward to seeing how good he is.