Now We're 'a Big Team'...

Scamps

...any chance of a Th after Partick from The Press Association/Sky Sports? Might be a trivial point but to me it's a pretty significant irritation.

What's the general consensus on here? Is there enough strength of feeling to see about remedying the situation?

I absolutely hate people calling us Partick. Most of us support Thistle because we are an intrinsically Scottish club, far removed from the traitorous affiliations of the old firm. Not because we have any particular affinity with Partick. There is no such thing as a Partick supporter. There are only Thistle supporters. I never trust players or managers who refer to us as Partick since they are obviously outsiders. But that's the problem. Partick men running the club instead of Thistle men. Look at Inverness. It takes about a week to say Inverness Caledonian Thistle and yet they've got the media trotting it out like some kind of political correctness while dismissing us as Partick. We are the original and definitive Thistle. We should be stamping that on the media at every opportunity. But there just isn't the will. No one at the club gives a stuff how were portrayed. We don't have a traditional strip, we don't have a traditional emblem, we're a very badly marketed club.

Edited by redandyellowribbons

Caley merged with Inverness Thistle, not Clachnacuddin,. that's where the 'Thistle' came from.

And tho' it riles us when ICT are called Thistle it must annoy a good chunk of the ICT support much more.

btw I can back up stoomac's post. I can remember it being not the least uncommon for Jags fans to refer to us as Partick.

Would tho' like to see us referred to as Partick Th by those who should know better and for scores and league tables etc. Not too sure we'll get that recognition sadly.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 1

And tho' it riles us when ICT are called Thistle it must annoy a good chunk of the ICT support much more.

btw I can back up stoomac's post. I can remember it being not the least uncommon for Jags fans to refer to us as Partick.

Would tho' like to see us referred to as P Thistle by those who should know better and for scores and league tables etc. Not too sure we'll get that recognition sadly.

I prefer to hear people calling us Thistle. On the rare occasion I have heard a Thistle fan refer to himself as a Partick fan it sounded incredibly incongruous. I usually find that when speaking to football fans from around the country, those who are from Glasgow refer to us as Thistle tend to come from Glasgow, those who call us Partick are from elsewhere.

Could you imagine the media down south referring to Aston Villa or Crystal Palace as simply Aston and Crystal... :thinking:

Or Tottenham Hotspur, Crewe Alexandra or Preston North End being called Tottenham, Crewe or Preston..

Could you imagine?

So why are some teams known by their first names and others b their 2nd. Is it a) because that is what the media have decided or B) because that is what the supporters call them ?

Don't really know actually. You would think that it would be the case that those with unique last names could use that name only and all the Citys, Uniteds, Rovers, etc would have to use full names. I would imagine it's a bit of both.

I always refer to us as Thistle but usually people from outside Glasgow call us Partick, unless they have had an association with the club. I think they do so and have done so to differentiate from other Thistles. Makes sense.

I have grown up with it and choose not get upset about it - life's too short.

Edited by Jag