Stewarding Today

Ancipital

Personally thought it was quite embarrassing from the North stand to watch 3 or 4 stewards hounding a group of wee boys whose voices haven't broken when there was no-one within a 25 metre radius of them for the heinous crime of trying to make a bit of atmosphere at a non-event of a pre-season friendly.

I believe eventually they were ejected- another feather in the cap of those we outsource our services to.

Also, there seemed a massive stewarding / police presence at a fixture which was unlikely to be a powderkeg.

I look forward to similarly heavy handed policing of the Hearts and Dundee Utd fans in the next month... oh wait, no, I don't. This is without mentioning the double standards that will be in place when "they" visit in October.

I watched the stewards with the boys. And tho I could not hear what was going on. I could not see what the boys were doing that was so bad! It just seems to harassment , the boys can hardly move without three or four stewards pouncing on them! Is this not what we are trying to attract new blood. Tbh I think they should be allowed in the north stand as they would soon get sorted out if the become a bit out of hand by other fans. I really don't get this over 16s only. I think that could be brought down to 12 . These kids would love the north stand. I surprised they even come , herded about like cattle and harnessed constantly !! I'm not daft iv got three boys I know what they can be like but thus is just harrassment. God help this club if we are going to hound out every teenage kid !!!!

• Like 1

I get the feeling some stewards feel they have to intervene so it looks as if they're doing a job.

But in reality, the Babyshed were in a whole section themself, bothering nobody. There were like 7 away fans.

Overly officious stewards are spoiling football. Get involved if there's real trouble. Otherwise leave us in peace.

• Like 1

Tbh I think they should be allowed in the north stand as they would soon get sorted out if the become a bit out of hand by other fans. I really don't get this over 16s only. I think that could be brought down to 12 .

No thanks mate - definitely not. One of the main reasons for me moving to North Stand was to get away from weans.
  • Like 1

I'm just back home for the first time since the game and I'm surprised this isn't a bigger thread.

What happened to the Baby Shed yesterday was absolutely pathetic. 10-12 young kids with a few flags standing up and singing songs with not a single other person in that entire block of the JHS, must be the best part of 800 seats, and they get surrounded numerous times by various diffeernt stewards. Who was in charge of them? We've got a bunch of adult club employees picking on/bullying these wee guys. What instructions did they have? The Baby Shed are great and everything should be done to encourage them. A wee group of kids who I think mostly met at the ground got together, got bigger as the season went on, made banners and are generally Thistle daft are getting picked on by the club's staff (or the staff of whoever the club have contracted it out to).

It looks like its going to be a long season with these folk around, there were a lot lot more stewards everywhere, particularly in the North Stand. Now this was a friendly where people were standing around half watching the game and half catching up with people they hadn't seen since last season. Yet we've got loads of people in high viz jackets staring us down all game. The guy beside me was told twice by some jumped up moron to stop leaning on the back of his seat. Is this the kind of shit we can expect all season long?

Would be interesting to hear what the few guys down the front who spoke to them about what was going on with the Baby Shed were told. If this is them "just doing their job" then who has given them that job to do? It wasn't needed last season, it isn't needed now.

We don't have bother at Firhill. The North Stand was bouncing for certain games last season, we were left to get on with it, had a great time, backed the team. As I said to one of the more senior looking ones on the way out, its the same people in the stand as it was last season, we're just normal people enjoying our Saturday afternoon. The only way there will be bother this season is if the stewards get people's backs up. You could feel a bit of hostility towards them and that will just build and build if they act like that all season.

We have done nothing to merit this increased attention and it seems inevitable these clowns are going to be ruining the enjoyment of our own supporters for no reason whatsoever. Why can't the stewards turn up, have an easy day, pick up their wages and go home. Why do they feel the needs to order people around and try to exert some authoritiy. I don't understand the mindset of the people who act like that, just let people get on with enjoying the football and enjoying their Saturday afternoon. Someone at the club needs to have a word with whoever is in charge.

• Like 8

I did notice a few younger stewards strutting around trying to look brooding and menacing. Hopefully they are just new and will eventually get bored with their new found 'power', as I regularly use the back of my seat as something upon which to lean. It's as if it were designed for such a use.

I'm too far away from the Baby Shed to have seen what was concerning the stewards. Perhaps someone from onethistle could shed some light on the matter?

This seems like an ongoing problem from last season... not quite sure of the ins and outs of it but last season I do recall Baby Shed singing "We're Partick Thistle, We'll Sing Where We Want" as they seemed to be getting hassled by stewards and police in that area... and I remember thinking the stewards and police seemed to be way over a line... weird...

Stewarding is a thankless task but Brian on here is a senior steward and the OneThistle guys have been proactive and responsible in dealing with events like this. I think something like this all it takes is a more mature responsible person to go and speak to the boys, let me know we are all on the same side, but give them some guidelines on how to act - even if it is something like don't scramble over seats or run up and down the rows. You'd be surprised when you speak to youngsters like an adult how quickly they come on side especially if you see them regular and help them into events like "Meet The Players" etc.

Is Brian still in charge of stewarding? He used to post here and regularly asked for feedback on stewarding.

He posted when they needed steward but I highly doubt he will say anything about this.

It just seemed like there was continually pestering the baby shed on Saturday - 3 or 4 stewards at a time. Jim Alexander was there in the end but didn't see him getting involved.

When the North stand did get involved - what was said was probably out of order, but threatening to chuck someone out a pre-season friendly is OTT imo.

Wasn't there on Saturday.

But it's extremely worrying what I've heard.

To clarify, the lads weren't thrown out, they left of their own accord, which is just as disappointing. I spoke to Manpreet after the game and he said that they eventually left the ground early due to the harassment they were receiving from the stewards. Uberteeb has put it better than I ever could with his post - it's a complete and utter joke.

Sporting Solutions continue to disgrace themselves in every single department.

It's clear that Sporting Solutions see the babyshed as nothing more than a nuisance that they are trying their best to eradicate. Thankfully the boys love of the club will always counteract that but eventually I can see them attempting to hand out banning orders, which they have absolutely no power to do.

These lads are being punished and intimidated simply for supporting the team and enjoying themselves on a saturday afternoon. It's quite staggering.

Edited by ian_mac

I think the area needs a dedicated steward that understands that they are just young kids. A bit of familiarity wouldn't go amiss and I'm sure the kids would respond better to a familiar face each week.

It really shouldn't be difficult. Very alarming that so many different stewards thought the actions they were taking both collectively and individually were appropriate. Do these people not have brains?

I think the area needs a dedicated steward that understands that they are just young kids. A bit of familiarity wouldn't go amiss and I'm sure the kids would respond better to a familiar face each week.

So right.

I mind there was a fearsome but respected usherette in the Scotstoun Odeon. Saturday matinées were fine when she was there but on the odd occasion when they bussed in a stand in it was utter chaos. Still never seen In Search of the Castaways.in full.

• Like 1