Paton And Erskine

The Great Lambini

Tonight showed that Paton is no great loss. Welsh play a similar role for us as he did for them and looked much the better player. Already if I was Erskine I would be concerned about the game time I will get. He was poor when he came on but he had games like that for the Jags. He is capable of genius as we know and I was pleased to see he got a good reception. He will struggle to find. Starting place in their front line IMHO. He might be back sooner than we thnk :-). However good riddance to Paton and please don't darken our door again.

aye Paton isnt a great loss, I don't get why everyone seems to hate him all of a sudden, all he did was post a message on twitter joking the Dools was away to Killie the night before he signed an extension, he's probably on double the wages he was on at Thistle and on a 3 yr contract with a young daughter, who wouldn't do the same? Pates was solid with us,he was captain of the team who won promotion afterall and loved his time at Thistle, but its not the hardest position to play, Welsh, Fraser, Kerr and Osbourne, and possibly Murray can all do this job. losing Erskine was always going to be a major loss, the occasion may have pulled us through tonight but when we're struggling for goals/chances half way through the season then at that point it may become a problem. I already had faith in Archie, I doubted his team selection tonight but yet again he got it spot on. In Archie We Trust.

• Like 2

Don't see Erskine getting the game time he'll need to adjust to his new surroundings & get some form of consistency in a higher league against better players. His best hope is GMS leaving freeing up a space & the other winger Cifci (or whatever he's called) looked average at best.

Will the DU fans give him the time to settle? We all know he's prone to prolonged spells of pishness (except for last season). Another season with us, playing every week, being our captain & the focal point of our team would I'm sure have benefitted him more than being an impact player at DU. (It may work out that he'll start loads of games but I just don't see it with the forward line/midfield they have at their disposal).

Paton...not missed at all & won't be. Replacing a midfielder is a hell of a lot easier than replacing someone like Erskine, thankfully we've done that & we already had players in the squad capable of doing so. Osbourne, Welsh, Fraser, Kerr, Bannigan all arguably better than Paton.

Edited by 1 John Lambie

Don't see Erskine getting the game time he'll need to adjust to his new surroundings & get some form of consistency in a higher league against better players. His best hope is GMS leaving freeing up a space & the other winger Cifci (or whatever he's called) looked average at best.

Will the DU fans give him the time to settle? We all know he's prone to prolonged spells of pishness (except for last season). Another season with us, playing every week, being our captain & the focal point of our team would I'm sure have benefitted him more than being an impact player at DU. (It may work out that he'll start loads of games but I just don't see it with the forward line/midfield they have at their disposal).

Totally agree.

I wish him well but fear he may have made a bad move. A place in this seasons Jags team would surely have propelled him to great heights. As it is ...

The Bridge was grinning at New Boghead as we sang "the shitehole song", he was singing "I'll want to come home" in unison with Jags fans at that Jax nite, and he was applauding Jags fans last night whilst in a DUFC shirt. Plus, he deliberately had a howler. :P Home is where the heart is... he'll be back one sunny day...

• Like 2

Archie was offered the chance to match Utd's wages for Paton and declined saying he could get us better for less £.

Tonight he was proven right (and Osbourne didn't even get on the pitch)

Archie looks like he made the right decision and I go along with above.

The guy wouldn't have become a kinda McNamara Lite panto hate figure but for being injured at the end of the season coupled with his rather poor use of social media. Paton is and never was that big a Jags character certainly in comparison to the likes of Erskine or Harkins. With that in mind his loss should be insubstantial enough that Jags fans shouldn't bother rewriting history. But I see that's started already.

As I understand it Paton was allowed to leave. He didn't knock back a contract. He didn't play off one club against another. He simply left as McNamara rated his importance to United higher than Archie rated his importance to Thistle, which of course will be reflected in his wage packet. Put another way if Archie had thought Paton was so vital to our SPFL existence he'd have probably secured Paton's services. Archie, as Grant says, knew he could make better use of his pennies.

In my mind it's fair to say that I doubt Paton will be a loss to us. But in my mind I also believe the guy played no inconsequential part in getting us promoted. I feel fans now arguing otherwise are being more than a bit disingenuous.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett
  • Like 6

I have loudly applauded Marko onto the park when he was in Ayr colours. He was a great servant for us and I have nothing but very fond memories of the man.

I couldn't be there on Friday, but I would've mustered a hearty cheer for the Bridge; he was central to our title-winning campaign last season. Besides that, he loved playing for us and gave us some moments of sublime skill to remember him by. I have a strong feeling he will be back, sooner or later. I certainly hope so.

• Like 3

Archie looks like he made the right decision and I go along with above.

The guy wouldn't have become a kinda McNamara Lite panto hate figure but for being injured at the end of the season coupled with his rather poor use of social media. Paton is and never was that big a Jags character certainly in comparison to the likes of Erskine or Harkins. With that in mind his loss should be insubstantial enough that Jags fans shouldn't bother rewriting history. But I see that's started already.

As I understand it Paton was allowed to leave. He didn't knock back a contract. He didn't play off one club against another. He simply left as McNamara rated his importance to United higher than Archie rated his importance to Thistle, which of course will be reflected in his wage packet. Put another way if Archie had thought Paton was so vital to our SPFL existence he'd have probably secured Paton's services. Archie, as Grant says, knew he could make better use of his pennies.

In my mind it's fair to say that I doubt Paton will be a loss to us. But in my mind I also believe the guy played no inconsequential part in getting us promoted. I feel fans now arguing otherwise are being more than a bit disingenuous.

Well put

Bullshit. It happens once in a blue moon cause it takes a really special player to merit it. Erskine is one of the few that does and was rightly given a warm reception.

I didn't do it, due to the prospect if him doing something to win the game.

Applaud him on if we're winning 3-0 with 5 mins to go!

Just read the Dundee United website report and Paton was their Man of the Match! Also, Butcher's tackles are described as almost being fair.

http://www.dundeeuni...id=4556&cd=2013

i personally, wouldn't take anything dundee united say. to be the truth.

e,g, if they said the sky was blue, i'd want to check it out myself for accuracy

It's ridiculous applauding an opposition player onto the park.

What you have just said is ridiculous.

What is wrong with applauding a guy on to the park who has been a great servant to the club and helped us get where we are now?

• Like 2

I wouldn't be surprised to see Erskine back , at some point. A bit like Archie going to DU, just different circumctances. Another player I wouldn't be surprised seeing coming back is Cairney.

Sometimes the grass isn't alwas greener on the other side....and also some players just fit in better with certain clubs. The Bridge is one of these players I think.

I don't know whether he will come back one day or not. One thing I do believe is that the formation we play (and the way we play it which is important, numbers only tell you half the story) suits Erskine perfectly. It seems to me he may find it hard to fit into their system the way he did into ours.