Chris Erskine

DUFCFAN

Think McNamara might come up against his first managerial setback at United.

At Thistle, we've obviously developed a pretty good scouting system that can identify players from the Juniors, Uni football, and the lower Scottish Professional Leagues and they, more often than not turn into gems. I think being new at the management game, he thinks this can be replicated elsewhere, hence his signings of Queens Park players etc.

Not everyone can make the step up. I'm pretty sure this is going to apply to Jackie as well.

Didn't realise you were unbeaten in 20, that's impressive, Archie seem's a decent guy, was probably one of our better players in the McCall years (Shiver), solid if unspectacular.

I still have faith that Jackie'll be a good appointment but that's being tested more and more with each passing game, Hibs next week is a big game for us now, if we can't beat them I think a lot of our fans will have serious doubts as to whether Jackie's the man to take us forward.

Oops!

• 4 weeks later...

We have a better, more reliable, player in Higginbotham. I don't think we'd have any more points this season if we had Erskine.

Not just yesterday but virtually everytime he plays you think Kallum's lost the ball and a decent attack has broken down only for him to emerge with the ball still at his feet. Reminiscent of Erskine last season except that Chris was playing thru the middle more often than not and of course playing at a lower level.

I don't know if it's feasible but I'd like to see Higginbotham play that more central Erskine role teaming up with Doolan

• Like 1

Not just yesterday but virtually everytime he plays you think Kallum's lost the ball and a decent attack has broken down only for him to emerge with the ball still at his feet. Reminiscent of Erskine last season except that Chris was playing thru the middle more often than not and of course playing at a lower level.

I don't know if it's feasible but I'd like to see Higginbotham play that more central Erskine role teaming up with Doolan

Absolutely. Give Craigen a rest, move Higgy inside and use either Bannigan or Elliot on the left.

We need to try and get him back. He belongs here and I think he's missing us.

I understand that we offered Erskine the same wage as the DAB's. They offered three years and we would only guarantee that wage for one year, a sensible move for a newly promoted club.

Chris, having a family, took what seemed like a better offer. Now he is struggling to get on the subs bench. As a confidence player this is not a good situation. He may be worried about where he will be playing next season if things don't improve for him. Perhaps, with hindsight, a season establishing himself in the top league with Thistle would have been a better option.

The questions for us are: Would we want him back? Would he have made a difference yesterday?

For what it's worth, my answer to both is no.

He'd have to be very foolish to have made the move without anticipating this would happen, so I doubt he's missing us at all. Why should he be, he's at a bigger club after all who are more likely to compete higher in the league and further in the cup competitions. If he's good enough for this level he'll have broken into the first team and had a good regular run of form and games in the first team by the end of the season. If not you can only assume he's not good enough for this level and shouldn't really be of interest to United or us (provided we're still in the league). But it's their problem, not ours.

Edited by Noel Edmonds

I understand that we offered Erskine the same wage as the DAB's. They offered three years and we would only guarantee that wage for one year, a sensible move for a newly promoted club.

Chris, having a family, took what seemed like a better offer. Now he is struggling to get on the subs bench. As a confidence player this is not a good situation. He may be worried about where he will be playing next season if things don't improve for him. Perhaps, with hindsight, a season establishing himself in the top league with Thistle would have been a better option.

The questions for us are: Would we want him back? Would he have made a difference yesterday?

I can't see any reason why we wouldn't want to take him back.

Given that he's not doing anything at Tannadice at the moment I'd be hoping he'd be in the 'John Robertson between Hearts and Newcastle' mould. ie. Doing great at Hearts, transfers to Newcastle and does SFA, moves back to Tynecastle and carries on from where he left off.

As Erskine did not even make the bench today, and the fans appear to hate him, a loan move seems most likely unless he can improve and get a good run in the first team. The fans were on his back from the start so it's going to be difficult for him to win them over.

I can't see any reason why we wouldn't want to take him back.

Given that he's not doing anything at Tannadice at the moment I'd be hoping he'd be in the 'John Robertson between Hearts and Newcastle' mould. ie. Doing great at Hearts, transfers to Newcastle and does SFA, moves back to Tynecastle and carries on from where he left off.

His confidence could be shattered if McNamara gets rid of him after one season. There is no guarantee that he could get his old form back. Apart from last season, he was inconsistent so I would only take him on loan to prove himself again. Of course, there could be better alternatives available.