Get A Grip!

Islay jag

Really can't believe some of the sh**e I've read on this forum after tonight's game, we played brave football and should have and would have with a bit of luck pumped them tonight. Hearts the worst team ever? Having a laugh, you've not followed thistle long enough. Get a grip and support the team the way the hearts fans supported their team.

• Like 14

Thought we were fantastic. Movement in first half was unbelievable. Fair play to hearts who changed there approach after half time but still thought we were the better side. Loss of welsh in the middle maybe hurt a bit.

Also their keeper pull off 3 or 4 cracking saves.

Gutted we never won but if we continue that level of performance it will be a great season!

was listening to Radio Scotland on the way home and for a rare time I found myself agreeing with the bulk of the after match stuff.

There was tho' the blindingly obvious comment from I think John Robbo Robertson. Went something along the line of all our good work leading to little as we require a goalscorer who'll guarantee 15-20 goals plus. Fair enough but the point that signing a striker that comes with such a warranty would in all likelihood put a club our size in debt was overlooked by all. It would be well over budget. It struck me, even tho' Robertson himself is long associated with a club in administration, that these pundits and probably the general sports media just don't understand the connection with overspending on players and later financial woes.

Apart from that I think it was Robertson again thought we've a tendency to "over pass". He cited a couple of occasions when a player (Higginbotham being one) should have gone for goal instead of laying off. Feel that's constructive criticism and might well have a bit of substance to it in general. Ironically there was one instance when Baird could've passed inside to Higginbotham in a far better position but chose to go direct instead. Maybe it's just a case of our front men choosing the right option more often?

Any game that ends like that will feel like a defeat. Archie, speaking for himself and the players said the same. As someone said on the radio last night Archie just needs to show the lads the DVD of last night's game to get their heads back up. Some of us may want to see the game again to do likewise. That first 45 mins was one of the most one sided goalless halves I've ever seen. I don't suppose Alba do all the stats, so I'll never know but our possession percentage alone must've been Barcelona like.

• Like 1

Really can't believe some of the sh**e I've read on this forum after tonight's game, we played brave football and should have and would have with a bit of luck pumped them tonight. Hearts the worst team ever? Having a laugh, you've not followed thistle long enough. Get a grip and support the team the way the hearts fans supported their team.

Ditto

At the end of the day if you compare where we were 2/3 years ago to where we are now,i t's been an unbelievable transformation. To be frank, then to me were a team going nowhere fast, even if to give some credit to I McC the foundations for our present relative success were being laid. Last night, the team tried to play the game the way its supposed to be played, against a Hearts team fighting for their very survival as a club, in a match refereed by an official applying 19th century rules. That we played so well in the first half is something to be proud of. That we failed to win was as much down to poor luck as much as anything else. If we continue to play like that victories will surely come. Sure, we need to cut out daft mistakes, but. FFS as much as Chick. Dung & co. played up Heart`s` relative youth, everyone's got to remember that the average age of our team was 22. The aim of professional football is to entertain, anyone not entertained by our dispkay I advise to attend football south of the river there you will surely see victories aplenty, no doubt achieved by fair means or foul. To all the doubters I say if you cannot back our team now, then as someone once said go and have done with y.

• Like 2

It's just a sad fact of life that some Scottish people like to moan.

People just need to enjoy this team. My main feeling leaving the game last night was how did we manage to assemble a team this good for no money, rather than disappointment about the result. And with all the contract extensions, it doesn't look like we're going to **** it up.

A guy mention this on Twitter last night but this is essentially our team

SPL reject, SPL reject, SPL reject, guy from Annan, guy from Montrose, SPL reject, guy who barely played for Hamilton, player from the youth set up, player from uni football, SPL reject, and junior striker.

It is ridiculous we are this good.

• Like 8

I'm not down. It's a delight to see Thistle playing the way we are in the top flight. Pwoud... vewy pwoud of the boys. :fan:

However, last night we only took a point, at home, with the aid of a penalty, against a team below us in the league ( I know i's early doors, but they got beat by st.johnstone and scraped a win against a poor hibs), and we played by far the better football.

I'm optimistic. But that was 2points dropped. .... Gutted.

Onwards and upwards.

Edited by ChewinGumMacaroonBaaaz
  • Like 1

Don't understand this thread at all. I read it before I started on the Just In thread and expected to find it full of moans. But I struggled to find anyone having a moan? There's a few disappointed posts because it was two points dropped from a game we were the far better team in, maybe a couple of people saying they reckon Hearts are a poor team (but that's a pretty common view of Hearts this season and no wonder considering their finances), but for the most part it's full of chat about how well we played, isn't it great how far we've come, feels like a defeat to draw because we were all over them, we were immense in the first half.

• Like 2

A guy mention this on Twitter last night but this is essentially our team

SPL reject, SPL reject, SPL reject, guy from Annan, guy from Montrose, SPL reject, guy who barely played for Hamilton, player from the youth set up, player from uni football, SPL reject, and junior striker.

It is ridiculous we are this good.

Post of the week that is Arch. :)

Agreed LE, except the first sentence, which you quite rightly didn't include in your quote. :thumbsup2: Spot on though, it IS ridiculous we are this good. Despite him being a wee nyaff, we've got plenty to thank McNamara for, and even more grateful he buggered off and let Archie improve the bunch of inexperienced SPL rejects, youths and lower league signings that are currently doing us all proud.

Don't understand this thread at all. I read it before I started on the Just In thread and expected to find it full of moans. But I struggled to find anyone having a moan? There's a few disappointed posts because it was two points dropped from a game we were the far better team in, maybe a couple of people saying they reckon Hearts are a poor team (but that's a pretty common view of Hearts this season and no wonder considering their finances), but for the most part it's full of chat about how well we played, isn't it great how far we've come, feels like a defeat to draw because we were all over them, we were immense in the first half.

Agree with this completely. The overwhelming majority of people seem to be praising the team for another great performance. Of course we are all frustrated at the final result but that's not taking anything away from the team.

Don't see the need for this thread in any way shape or form. Seems to be a rare day for pointless threads.

The last game I remember where Hearts were at Firhill in the SPL, the manager was Gerry Collins, the team were frankly a disorganised rabble, and we got pumped 4-0. I'll take the slight disappointment from last night any time, compared with that. Also - I don't think it's a coincidence that of the two teams that have been here so far this season, their goalies both had to be very good. A wee bit more of that composure thing in front of goal, and I think we'll do OK.

• Like 1

I think we have a lot to look forward to, we had far better chances against a highly motivated side, and aside from controlling the play for the majority of the match we conducted ourselves as we should have done unlike the circus that was on the away bench. How many times did they argue decisions? I am looking forward to every match hoping that Archie can remain unbeaten.

Agree with this completely. The overwhelming majority of people seem to be praising the team for another great performance. Of course we are all frustrated at the final result but that's not taking anything away from the team.

Don't see the need for this thread in any way shape or form. Seems to be a rare day for pointless threads.

Aye. The OP just created this to look like some kind of intelligent voice of reason.

Edited by MWM

The last game I remember where Hearts were at Firhill in the SPL, the manager was Gerry Collins, the team were frankly a disorganised rabble, and we got pumped 4-0. I'll take the slight disappointment from last night any time, compared with that. Also - I don't think it's a coincidence that of the two teams that have been here so far this season, their goalies both had to be very good. A wee bit more of that composure thing in front of goal, and I think we'll do OK.

Were we not about three or four down in the first half hour? I left before half-time - one of my Thistle-watching lows.

Were we not about three or four down in the first half hour? I left before half-time - one of my Thistle-watching lows.

Aye - I think we were. The reason I remember that one so clearly is that either fortunately or unfortunately, I'd won corporate hospitality that day (the old 800 club). To add insult to injury, not only did I have to wear a suit to watch us get pumped, the man of the match sponsors were a group of Hearts fans, so after the match I got to watch them give the award to one of their lot! In fairness, I couldn't think of anyone in Red and Yellow who actually deserved it.