Last Minute Loan Deals

Vinnyjag

I don't rate that lot and they are not Champions League quality for sure. It's surprising that Lennon has so little money to spend. Celtic have the CL money (incl lat season's) plus the transfer fee income of around £20m. Where's the money going? Out of the club?

They don't need to spend for domestic success and most ofl the money will be kept.

They won't get a top drawer striker into the club as the attraction for that player will only be the European games and with the draw they got then those 6 games will be all it is.

As for the boy Watt"s attitude not being good i couldn't comment but rumours spread easily up here and folk can get the wrong impression of players and they can be typecast

If he is available and would come in on loan then it's a no brainer for me.

They may be making the assumption that they won't squeeze through to the CL group stages every year and are putting money aside for when that happens. Of course no doubt the directors will take nice fat fee but at least the club can afford that unlike at the other cheek.

I reckon they have a reasonable policy of buying young players and then selling them on for a profit, though it's possible they are being a bit tightfisted because they know they don't have to beat the other cheek. I only wish they'd try and develop more young Scots players instead of young foreigners. It's also possible having seen what happened with the other cheek they are determined to run a tight (relatively) money policy.

I agree with this and the other cheek as you call it :) will no doubt be back in the top league at somepoint and when they do Celtic will still continue to dominate for years to come.

That's a reason the money is not being spent as they are keeping the powder dry so to speak.

Only downside i would say is why don't they show more faith in the boy Watt if they are not spending?

Why have the best youth structure if you don't bring many if any through it (I know the boy Watt was at Airdrie but other youth stars at Celtic don't get much of a chance either)

I think the point about the team scoring more with Baird starting would have some merit if he wasn't chasing goals himself. He's the one player who appears to try his luck rather than lay off to another but I'd still say he needs to score a goal or two as a sub before he'd warrant a start.

Think this actually could explain it, as Baird is more likely to have a pop at goal, he will be marked more tightly giving space to others. So on those occasions Baird is in a good position but doesn't get the ball, perhaps others have a better chance of scoring.

I agree that Doolan's decision making appears to be the best out of our forwards.

I take the points about Baird. Doolan probably does deserve another couple of games then as the starting striker. I'm not sure if Baird trying to bag himself a goal is a bad thing though, Doolan isn't prolific at setting up anyone for a goal.

I mentioned elsewhere on the forum that St Jonstone came third last season with a top scorer of 7 goals - all be it with four different people. I think Baird and Doolan will both hit at least 7 over the season, Lawless already has 2. Maybe it is Craigen Bannigan Welsh Fraser Higginbotham we should be pressuring to score more rather than putting all the pressure on our lone striker.

I noticed that Gary Fraser had been offered a deal in January with Bolton and had turned it down back then. Part of the reason given was fears he would be homesick.

Im trying to think how much time Mukendi has been given other than an appearance against Ayr I cant remember when else he has played, I cant honestly remeber too much about the Ayr game so I can't recall how good he was.

As Henoc is about the same age as Fraser perhaps Archie's thinking is that if he has moved to Scotland away from circle of friends/relatives it will take a period of time to adjust and it's why he has not started first team games yet.

Im trying to think how much time Mukendi has been given other than an appearance against Ayr I cant remember when else he has played, I cant honestly remeber too much about the Ayr game so I can't recall how good he was.

As Henoc is about the same age as Fraser perhaps Archie's thinking is that if he has moved to Scotland away from circle of friends/relatives it will take a period of time to adjust and it's why he has not started first team games yet.

I trust if above is accurate then we'll be the ones that decide if his loan spell will be extended. It may not be pointless but certainly far from ideal if Henoc starts to be of use towards the end of a loan spell only to return to his home club or to get farmed out to an English club in whatever division. Short term loan players need to more or less hit the ground running to be of use.

Edited by lady-isobel-barnett

Only downside i would say is why don't they show more faith in the boy Watt if they are not spending?

Why have the best youth structure if you don't bring many if any through it (I know the boy Watt was at Airdrie but other youth stars at Celtic don't get much of a chance either)

We know, two [former ones] of them are playing for us in the top league and have had under 21 caps while with us.

Edited by Mr Bunny

We know, two [former ones] of them are playing for us in the top league and have had under 21 caps while with us.

It's odd that we are discussing young players not getting chances at Celtic or Liverpool when getting them on loan would set back the development of our own youngsters. We seem to have done quite well this last year or so with them.

Also, am I alone in thinking that Dools does far far more than scoring goals? IMO he gets his head on more balls than his height would suggest and winning a throw or corner can be as good as an assist. He ties up far more defenders than Baird can.

It's odd that we are discussing young players not getting chances at Celtic or Liverpool when getting them on loan would set back the development of our own youngsters. We seem to have done quite well this last year or so with them.

Also, am I alone in thinking that Dools does far far more than scoring goals? IMO he gets his head on more balls than his height would suggest and winning a throw or corner can be as good as an assist. He ties up far more defenders than Baird can.

I agree with your first point but suggest that Fraser is the exception to the rule. He's had a full pre season with us and is an example of a short loan player who has hit the ground running.

And you're not alone re comparison of Doolan to Baird or that Kris does so much more than score goals. Presently at least.

I think at this stage of our youth development - we've only had the scheme going for a few years and it was limited when it started. It may take a few years yet - if we keep backing it and developing it - before we see a number of young players good enough to step up.

Bannigan is exceptional, and he was put out on loan for experience - it's something that will happen and he did become a 1st team choice at 19. I'm sure there will be a decent number over the next few years but it takes time to develop enough players who are good enough. Sometimes the ones that make it aren't the ones you expect to. Until that happens we'll still be taking young players on loan from other clubs.

are you sure Davis Watts? tend to agree with mr kni .although am not so sure he would be of the same outlook as Ray Davies when he wrote it back in 66/67. Ray Davies is quoted as saying Watts was a concert promoter who was gay and came on to his brother, David. That's why there's the line about David Watts "being so gay and fancy free."

Watt isn't very good. There's also not a chance that he'll join us.

This. The Pacheco suggestion earlier was a bit far-fetched too considering his loan history includes teams in La Liga, so he's way out of our league. In any case, an additional striker shouldn't be our main priority if we're looking for a last minute signing. ATS's supposed injury leaves the prospective team sheet for the St Mirren game looking a little lopsided, so I would be all in favour of adding back-up in that position first and foremost. I don't fancy the thought of McMillan playing an extended run of games there at all. I've always maintained that an additional striker with strong aerial ability would be a good luxury for us to have as I feel that would give us a bit of diversity from Doolan and Baird, but a left back to support ATS should be the priority.

If we do bring in someone tonight both Archie & Shaggy have indicated it's likely to be a front player.

Taylor-Sinclair first choice full back with both McMillan & Bannigan able to fill in if injured.

We're not going to bring in someone there just to add to the squad in case of injury. We're looking for a player who can offer us something different to what is on the books already or to put pressure on strikers if they are not taking chances.

Edited by Trotter
  • Like 1

Chris Porter at Sheffield United might be worth a look. Struggling to get a regular game.

Adds to our ex Motherwell contingent but had a decent record while he was there. 23 goals in 59 apps.

Edited by alamo

Doesn't sound like we'll be getting another striker in from Archie's comments after the game.

When asked about the possibility of adding more punch up front he said:

"I think it'll be a struggle (to get another striker), and I think we know that. But it was pleasing today to get goals from other areas of the pitch, and I said that last week as well, it's not just about the strikers. The formation we play the strikers sometimes come out of the area and someone else has to go in and take up that space. Whether we get someone in or not I don't know but I think the boys are up for the challenge of getting goals from other areas of the pitch and not just the strikers."