Scotland - Belgium

The Cup

Wallace is a quality player no matter what league he is in and lets not talk about playing guys who are not natural LB / Wingbacks and who are not naturall left sided players to play this position.

Wallace at the moment is only picked for the squad and not for the team so i think he is a good addition to the squad and we are building for the future. (he is only 25)

I have no doubt he will hold this position down in the future for the national side and we all know the reasons for not selecting him and i do agree the standard he is up against every week is not the best but it doesn't take away from the fact that he is a very decent player.

No league in Scotland can prepare a player to take on Belgium.

If the Belgians are in the mood it won't matter a jot if your an SPFL player or a player from the juniors as Scotland will get pumped anyway.

He is a Rangers player picked for a national side who are out of the running for qualification and the manager wants him in his squad and maybe folk should trust Strachan a bit here on his judgement.

Wallace is a quality player no matter what league he is in and lets not talk about playing guys who are not natural LB / Wingbacks and who are not naturall left sided players to play this position.

Wallace at the moment is only picked for the squad and not for the team so i think he is a good addition to the squad and we are building for the future. (he is only 25)

I have no doubt he will hold this position down in the future for the national side and we all know the reasons for not selecting him and i do agree the standard he is up against every week is not the best but it doesn't take away from the fact that he is a very decent player.

If the Belgians are in the mood it won't matter a jot if your an SPFL player or a player from the juniors as Scotland will get pumped anyway.

He is a Rangers player picked for a national side who are out of the running for qualification and the manager wants him in his squad and maybe folk should trust Strachan a bit here on his judgement.

Pish. He's only there to appease the Rangers fans.

The Scottish League 1 is a lower standard than the English Conference. Would Strachan pick a player from Aldershot even if he was brilliant?

Sorry but even Messi's game would suffer if he was playing against appalling opposition every week.

I could maybe understand the argument if he'd been an established international while in the top league. But he wasn't. Which means he has to be getting selected on current form. And no one has ever previously been selected from the third tier (as far as I know) on current form. Doesn't matter how good you look against Airdrie, it doesn't make you a Scotland player.

I can't see any other reason.

I honestly don't think Rangers fans would bother if he was picked or not.

Strachan has picked him so folk should back the manager and i don't think for one minute the manager is doing it to appease Rangers fans.

The lad is a very good player who will be a regular in the future Scotland squads and qualifiers.

I know he is playing at a lower level and won't be getting tested like he will against Belgium should he feature but who is being tested to be prepared to take on Belgium?

Strachan could've picked a number of left back's before resorting to someone from the pub leagues. Off the top of my head, the following are better and more credible options than Wallace.

Stevie Hammill

Danny Fox

Tam Scobbie

Paul Dixon

Aaron Taylor-Sinclair :thumbsup2:

Andrew Shinnie

Wallace is a decent player playing at a level insufficient for international fitba even if the opposition was the Faroes or Leichtenstein. If Strachan wanted a hate figure, he could have given Black a run-out.

What a joke. Strachan playing to the gallery on this one I suspect. Is ATS better than Wallace right now? Hard to say definitively but he's playing week in week out against a better quality of opposition and don't think he'd be out his depth whatsoever.

To be honest, Bannigan is having a great season so far, but found himself (and the rest of his team-mates) well off the pace of England U-21s. I don't think any of our guys are international-ready, including ATS. As good a bet as Wallace though!

I personally disagree with Wallace's inclusion, purely on the grounds of his current level of football being completely out of line with what can be expected at international level. The gulf is absolutely massive, and I feel it would be too big an ask of him if he was called upon.

However, the theme to this thread about his inclusion being an aim to appease Rangers fans is paranoia that is cringeworthy and embarassing in the extreme. Whilst I disagree with Wallace's call-up, there's actually perfectly understandable grounds for Strachan including him. One being that he offers previous experience of being in and playing for the national team, something that alternative options in the Scottish Premiership do not have.

A second reason being that, taking his current level of football out of the equation, he probably quite comfortably goes into the top two players of that position who are available to us.

Thirdly, he is young enough for the drop down to Sevco not to have completely tarnished his internatinal career: he will be playing in the Scottish top flight or better in the very near future. Therefore, there is a degree of sense in including him with a view to preparing for the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign. After all, the Kenny Miller haters wouldn't stop bumping their gums about how that was exactly what we had to do, when clamouring for untried options to be played in the lone-forward position.

The overreaction to this, particularly considering he is being called up as little more than a squad player, is laughable.

I wouldn't necessarily say any of our players are ready to step up to international level just yet. However, it is a right slap in the face for every Scottish fullback plying his trade in the so called SPFL to be overlooked for a player playing in the third tier of Scottish football. I happen to think Wallace is actually not a bad player, however I seriously doubt he can make the step up from the so called First Division to an international game against one of the top rated sides in the world at present. Put plainly, it is an obvious and pathetic sop to Sevco and the hordes of Mordor who follow them. As for Thompson, other than being an ex-H*n, I fail to see how he justifies his selection. It's decisions like this, that make me seriously question the degree of freedom a Scotland manager possess when selecting his team. I can see that in days gone by it would have been necessary, if not justifiable to include a certain number of Rangers players to guarantee a crowd. However, I would have thought those days were long gone, apparently not.

I struggle a wee bit with the concept that if you aren't playing in the SPFL, then you shouldn't be in the national team. If you take that idea forward, then you should only get a game if you play in EPL.

We will really only know if he is good enough on his performances vs Belgium & Macedonia

Not that I like either call up particularly but Thomson is obviously due to Strachan working with him at Middlesborough and Wallace due to him having a bit of experience from previous call ups (and not having done much wrong in those games)

I agree that i don't think any of our players are ready yet for the full squad. If Bannigan continues as he has been then he will be in soon.

I personally disagree with Wallace's inclusion, purely on the grounds of his current level of football being completely out of line with what can be expected at international level. The gulf is absolutely massive, and I feel it would be too big an ask of him if he was called upon.

However, the theme to this thread about his inclusion being an aim to appease Rangers fans is paranoia that is cringeworthy and embarassing in the extreme. Whilst I disagree with Wallace's call-up, there's actually perfectly understandable grounds for Strachan including him. One being that he offers previous experience of being in and playing for the national team, something that alternative options in the Scottish Premiership do not have.

A second reason being that, taking his current level of football out of the equation, he probably quite comfortably goes into the top two players of that position who are available to us.

Thirdly, he is young enough for the drop down to Sevco not to have completely tarnished his internatinal career: he will be playing in the Scottish top flight or better in the very near future. Therefore, there is a degree of sense in including him with a view to preparing for the Euro 2016 qualifying campaign. After all, the Kenny Miller haters wouldn't stop bumping their gums about how that was exactly what we had to do, when clamouring for untried options to be played in the lone-forward position.

The overreaction to this, particularly considering he is being called up as little more than a squad player, is laughable.

I don't think I and many others are over reacting and/or being paranoid, personally its a case that for my entire life I've seen favoritism of one sort or another being displayed towards the Ibrox side and to a lesser extent towards Celtic many times over the years and I have to admit it sort of sticks in my craw.

If it is not pandering to Fat Sally etc. can we look forward to other lower league players or even players from unfashionable clubs like ourselves being given a break at international level?

I suspect, I will be a long time dead before such a scenario comes to pass.

Edited by stillresigned
  • Like 1

To be honest generally Rangers and Celtic have had the best players who have a winning mentality with European experience. I'd prefer it to be Thistle players but that's the state of play. Sometimes when they get picked it gets taken as favouritism but they had the power for so long. In the early eighties the team was full of Aberdeen and Dundee United players..

To be honest generally Rangers and Celtic have had the best players who have a winning mentality with European experience. I'd prefer it to be Thistle players but that's the state of play. Sometimes when they get picked it gets taken as favouritism but they had the power for so long. In the early eighties the team was full of Aberdeen and Dundee United players..

That's fair enough, when they were on top they did have the best players but their current team is utter gash. Wallace was part of the team that was spanked by Forfar.

If Wallace is good then arguably so is Templeton, Black, and McCulloch.

Strachan is SFA **** sucker like Levein. We won't qualify for another competition until the best squad is chosen.

Thirdly, he is young enough for the drop down to Sevco not to have completely tarnished his internatinal career: he will be playing in the Scottish top flight or better in the very near future.

2 seasons away at a minimum unless you have inside info. Of course, poor wee Rangers could get liquidated again at the rate they are burning money, so you could be right as he may refuse to be TUPEd to the Rangers FC Mark III...

go on pie and bovril n talk about scotland., this is a thistle site

So the only team we should talk about on here is thistle, anything but thistle and go somewhere else? With some of the garbage you have said on here in the past months you are in no position to say that. If you wanna talk about fighting go to a boxing gym or the likes. Scotlands international performance relates directly to the scottish game as a whole which includes thistle so take your crap somewhere else.

That's fair enough, when they were on top they did have the best players but their current team is utter gash. Wallace was part of the team that was spanked by Forfar.

If Wallace is good then arguably so is Templeton, Black, and McCulloch.

Strachan is SFA **** sucker like Levein. We won't qualify for another competition until the best squad is chosen.

The others are certainly not needed as we have plenty of cover in those positions but we don't have the players good enough (IMO) for the LB position and resort to playing folk out of position to fill that role.

As for your second point Strachan is not the type to be a yes man and the only way we will get to future tournaments is to develop kids into quality players like most other countries are doing.

We have the battling qualities and can try to make them organised by being hard to beat but we lack the technical skills of most nations.and this is where we need to start getting it right.

The others are certainly not needed as we have plenty of cover in those positions but we don't have the players good enough (IMO) for the LB position and resort to playing folk out of position to fill that role.

McGregor, George Boyd, James Morrison and Graham Dorrans have pulled out. Which of those plays at left back?