Old Firm Reject Evidence Of Link With Domestic Violence

stillresigned

It's nowt tae dae wi me! That is the totally unpredictable reaction of Rangers and Celtic to this study ny researchers at St Andrews university, The more things change the more they stay the same. Link to article http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/old-firm-reject-evidence-of-link-with-domestic-violence.22215829. Pretty depressing actually.

The evidence is clear.

"We found a statistically significant increase in the average number of reports following Old Firm matches, compared with other periods. Our preliminary analysis confirms previous speculation concerning the association between Old Firm matches and reports of domestic violence.

"Our approach may underestimate the true impact of Old Firm matches on domestic violence, as not all incidents are reported to the police, but it nonetheless offers a conservative estimate of the severity of the problem."

The Old (green) and New (blue) Firms should be required to make financial contributions to the NHS, Police and other organisations that have to spend large amounts taxpayers' money to deal with the domestic abuse of their so-called supporters.

Edited by kni

Not just there...you should hear the bile they spout going to and from the games, i managed to get 3 charged a few years ago after telling them 6 times to STFU, called the btp at lenzie and met a queen st....3 x £60 fines, i was then accused by my driver of being a bigot (quelle suprise he was one of them too), so my reply was.....'idve done the same if they were fkn h*ns!'

It's absurd to think the football clubs themselves should be held accountable for domestic violence from people who supposedly support them. The very nature of both clubs attract absolute roasters for sure, but there are wife/husband abusers in every team's support. In short, domestic violence is a much bigger, more serious issue than just football and should not be attributed to particular clubs and used for point-scoring purposes.

• Like 4

It's absurd to think the football clubs themselves should be held accountable for domestic violence from people who supposedly support them. The very nature of both clubs attract absolute roasters for sure, but there are wife/husband abusers in every team's support. In short, domestic violence is a much bigger, more serious issue than just football and should not be attributed to particular clubs and used for point-scoring purposes.

Got to agree with above.

To suggest or even hint at instances of domestic abuse within the families of rangers or celtic households would never take place if it wasn't for the two clubs playing each other is inane.

A far more obvious and perhaps more relevant observation would be to compare the amount of admissions to various casualty wards after an ugly sister game with a normal Saturday, Sunday or whenever. I guess even the most blinkered of old firm supporter would know the answer to that survey. Though just what good it would do is another question altogether.

The old adage that there are three types of lies applies here.

There are more supporters of the old firm than any other teams in Scotland so therefore more of their supporters will be involved.

What is much more relevant is the fact that 82% of domestic abuse is perpetrated by men, not which team they claim to support.

Edited by scotty

There are more supporters of the old firm than any other teams in Scotland so therefore more of their supporters will be involved.

What is much more relevant is the fact that 82% of domestic abuse is perpetrated by men, not which team they claim to support.

Perhaps "reported abuse" would be more accurate, given public assumptions about gender differences and their relationship with violence.

In any case, we can only come to conclusions based on the data available: so "Old Firm Reject Evidence" would seem to be a reasonable assessment of those parties' weak connection with reality. :)

In any case, we can only come to conclusions based on the data available: so "Old Firm Reject Evidence" would seem to be a reasonable assessment of those parties' weak connection with reality. :)

They didn't reject the evidence, they rejected responsibility for the evidence. And rightly so. If Scotland v England matches were a common occurrence, then we would likely see an upturn in domestic violence on those occasions too. You can bet your life on the common denominator and prime culprit being alcohol consumption, and the increased amount there will be on such high profile games. That alcohol hasn't been mentioned is astounding.

I think you've missed the point. What is being said is that domestic abuse exists and it increases whenever the Old Filth play. See if you can draw a conclusion about Old Filth fans from that...

Agree totally.

There are many things we can blame the old firm for, but i think this is going a bit far.

If these people weren't attending football matches they'd be doing something else, and probably still coming home to carry out domestic violence.

Wasn't the biggest spike in domestic violence in recent years, after the Scotland and Italy game in 2007 which had a Saturday 5pm kick off? What should be looked at, is whether the kick off times impact on this?. Also, in the statistics what ratio of fans attending the games to those merely getting pissed down the pub are involved in this. I do find it appalling that people get some sense of oneupmanship in this, this is endemic in our nation and culture.

• Like 1

What annoyed me was not the fact that Rangers and Celtic disagreed with the validity of this survey's results but the manner of their dismissal, which was all to reminisient of the way in which both clubs disavow any connection with sectarianism but have both, particularly, but exclusively Rangers have benifitted from it financially. The thing is no one is blaming either for the existence of domestic violence, but rather claiming that incidences of it tend to spike after a Celtic-Rangers "match". Anyone who lives in Central Scotland could attest to that fact. All football clubs and associations have to accept they do not exist in a vacuum and accordingly fully accept their social responsibilities,

Edited by stillresigned

What annoyed me was not the fact that Rangers and Celtic disagreed with the validity of this survey's results but the manner of their dismissal, which was all to reminisient of the way in which both clubs disavow any connection with sectarianism but have both, particularly, but exclusively Rangers have benifitted from it financially. The thing is no one is blaming either for the existence of domestic violence, but rather claiming that incidences of it tend to spike after a Celtic-Rangers "match". Anyone who lives in Central Scotland could attest to that fact. All football clubs and associations have to accept they do not exist in a vacuum and accordingly fully accept their social responsibilities,

This is the important thing.

No doubt the OF have more violent guys following them than other teams because they have more folk following them than other teams.

The other thing though is this. Guys like that have short fuses and take their frustrations out on other people rather than trying to deal with it reasonably - hence you get the pub fight, the guy attacked in the street and the wife/partner getting beaten up.

Football - and in particular OF games are high tension ... the team MUST win nothing else is acceptable and when that doesn't happen (and drink gets swallied in large amounts) these types want to take it out on someone.

It's true neither the OF - nor any other team - are responsible for these guys having that mentality BUT, bland dismissal of this is wrong. Many of these guys do associate themselves with OF teams and they do get blootered and attack innocent people (as well as each other).

So to my mind the clubs have a responsibility to at least make some statement, along the lines of we don't consider guys who do that kind of thing as our supporters, maybe threaten to get their names (court cases?) and ban them.

OK probably that would only have limited effect since these guys are too thick and self centred to accept their guilt but it would be something and a lot better than just dismissing it out of hand - which in a way is insulting to the people at the sore end of the events.

Maybe some kind of campaign along the lines of "show racism the red card" is needed though it would have to involve all clubs.

Edited by Mr Bunny

To my mind there is no question that this is about more than merely the old firm having more fans. Apart from the statistics proving it. Rangers fans in particular have an aggressive, arrogant demeanour when they are collected in a group. I've observed it at Buchanan street station and been quite shocked, despite my own prejudices, at how different they look, when compared to any other grouping of people, including football fans. They walk aggressively and act like they own the place. Doesn't make them domestic abusers right enough, and I fully appreciate that his a sweeping and biased generalisation. But there's a definite air of aggression.

To my mind there is no question that this is about more than merely the old firm having more fans. Apart from the statistics proving it. Rangers fans in particular have an aggressive, arrogant demeanour when they are collected in a group. I've observed it at Buchanan street station and been quite shocked, despite my own prejudices, at how different they look, when compared to any other grouping of people, including football fans. They walk aggressively and act like they own the place. Doesn't make them domestic abusers right enough, and I fully appreciate that his a sweeping and biased generalisation. But there's a definite air of aggression.

:lol:

Did they all walk differently and aggresively with an orange thing draped over their shoulders beating up a big drum? :lol:

Honestly your post is the funniest thing or maybe the scariest thing i have seen yet on this site.

I'm glad it entertained you. And I probably shouldn't try to defend it. But I'm being genuine. I believe a Rangers crowd brings an atmosphere to a place that you don't get with other groups. I will accept that it has nothing to do with domestic violence so this thread probably isn't the place for the observation.

Really?

I'm glad it entertained you. And I probably shouldn't try to defend it. But I'm being genuine. I believe a Rangers crowd brings an atmosphere to a place that you don't get with other groups. I will accept that it has nothing to do with domestic violence so this thread probably isn't the place for the observation.

The original subject is not something to joke about but your post went a bit off topic and is ridiculous to suggest a group of Rangers fans are any different to any other group of fans going to a game.

The thread subject is not a joke but your post is.

I have seen fans of all the clubs to visit Ibrox mixing freely with Rangers fans this season and never seen any issues.

Yes you might have experienced a few idiots and we certainly have them in our support but every club has idiots that embarrass us all.at times.

I have watched many Old Firm games over the years and have celebrated wins and drowned my sorrows when we have lost but never have i been involved in any domestic violence after any match.

My wife likes the green half and we have our wind ups but it goes no further than that.

Yes alcohol will play it's part and the games mean alot to folk involved with passions running high but it's the individual who has the problem if they resort to domestic violence over the result of a football match and not the clubs fault.

Wowsers trousers, I'm shocked to see Billko with a blinkered view of his own club and their supporters yet again.

Ibrox is the one stadium I doubt I'll ever go back to due to the horrible, angry atmosphere generated by the home fans.

I doubt you'll understand the very real sense of barely suppressed violence, anger and antipathy emanating from Rangers fans, especially in groups, especially in Glasgow city centre, and especially on the night of an Old Firm match. I used to work in the city centre, and would regularly finish work late at night, and walk home to Maryhill. Obviously Friday and Saturday nights were the ones to be careful due to general drunkenness, but I can assure you a Saturday night after Rangers played at home, would have a different tone of nastiness in the air.

This must be well known to everyone, except those who choose to ignore it, try to laugh it off.

I would imagine I'm not the only one who would actively avoid the city on the day of, and possibly the entire weekend of, an Old Firm game. And honestly, by the far largest majority, it's the Blue side from which I've experienced this feeling of menace - cross the street, in fact turn around and walk the other way, type of atmosphere.

Of course, wee smiley faces can brush aside the true reality of life as a young male who wants to avoid getting chibbed/glassed/booted in the baws in Glasgow. If you ignore something it doesn't exist, right?

God help Glasgow on the weekend of the first 'proper' Old Firm game, whenever it is.

yeh!! every second saturday near enough full house everytime you don't get that at any other ground.GET A LIFE.!!!!!!

Wowsers trousers, I'm shocked to see Billko with a blinkered view of his own club and their supporters yet again.

Ibrox is the one stadium I doubt I'll ever go back to due to the horrible, angry atmosphere generated by the home fans.

I doubt you'll understand the very real sense of barely suppressed violence, anger and antipathy emanating from Rangers fans, especially in groups, especially in Glasgow city centre, and especially on the night of an Old Firm match. I used to work in the city centre, and would regularly finish work late at night, and walk home to Maryhill. Obviously Friday and Saturday nights were the ones to be careful due to general drunkenness, but I can assure you a Saturday night after Rangers played at home, would have a different tone of nastiness in the air.

This must be well known to everyone, except those who choose to ignore it, try to laugh it off.

I would imagine I'm not the only one who would actively avoid the city on the day of, and possibly the entire weekend of, an Old Firm game. And honestly, by the far largest majority, it's the Blue side from which I've experienced this feeling of menace - cross the street, in fact turn around and walk the other way, type of atmosphere.

Of course, wee smiley faces can brush aside the true reality of life as a young male who wants to avoid getting chibbed/glassed/booted in the baws in Glasgow. If you ignore something it doesn't exist, right?

God help Glasgow on the weekend of the first 'proper' Old Firm game, whenever it is.

NO NEED TO ASK WHICH FOOT YOU KICK WITH THEN EH!!!!!!