Just In V Kilmarnock

Camallain

Thoughts after today:

Osbourne a cert so Archie needs to decide on Welsh or Bannigan next to him.

O'Donnell doing well going forward but needs to improve defensively. McMillan at RB when fit, push O'Donnell forward and bench Lawless. Then Higginbotham behind Doolan with Elliot on the other side.

One concern today (again) is Archie/Shaggy's tactics. Johnson saw it wasn't working so changed tactics at HT. We just change personnel & leave tactics the same.

Forbes out wide right was asking for trouble as with O'Donnell bombing on, Forbes wasn't going to be the quickest getting back to cover.

At points today there must have been at least 20 yards between each of the forward 4 players. 2 penalties the sum total of all our home efforts so far. Not looking to over commit but a plan B would be nice to have!

I know Archie still learning as well & has been a positive start to season so apologies if this sounds like a doomsayers post but just a concern.

Calm yourselves. 10th place is a success. We are on 9 points. St. Mirren have 1. Hearts are on -8. Correct me if wrong - last time we survived the top flight, with Lambie, we won 7 games all season. We played well for the majority of the game today. And apart from last week, I'm proud of how we've performed so far, and the games have been difficult, as we should have expected.

There is pressure on Hearts, St. Mirren, Kilmarnock, not us at the moment.

• Like 1

Today clearly shows that Doolan is by far the better option than Baird to start. I'd be interested to see if Welsh and Osbourne can create some kind of partnership in the midfield, or could Welsh play slightly further forward and partner Bannigan with Osbourne? Forbes must be due a chance to start a game sometime too though.

We'll beat St Johnstone. They're pish.

St Johnstone are not pish, they're a better team than Kilmarnock.

Not a brilliant result or performance, but we're still well on track to fulfil our end of season objective of finishing 10th on the basis of our all round above-expectation start to the season. We were toothless in our forward play today, but I really don't buy the whole 'we can't score at home' line - why are we differentiating home goals scored from away goals scored as if both count for two different competitions? We've shown we can score more than once in games this season, and as such we have shown that we can pose an attacking threat in this league. I think the goals tend to come particularly when we play against disorganised defences, like those of St Mirren and County, but do people really think that there's some sort of voodoo curse that would prevent us from capitalising on similarly disorganised defences at Firhill?

Was looking at the stats for the past 10 years inthe spl, usually a sum between 35-40 points is enough for 10th place. I reckon this year that the lower end of that will probably be ok, as it stands I do not see st mirrenand hears hitting more than 30 points on current form. So if we're to say on average we need 36 points, we're a quarter of the way there already. I could be wrong, but you never know, 30 points may be enough that year st mirren are that bad.

Was looking at the stats for the past 10 years inthe spl, usually a sum between 35-40 points is enough for 10th place. I reckon this year that the lower end of that will probably be ok, as it stands I do not see st mirrenand hears hitting more than 30 points on current form. So if we're to say on average we need 36 points, we're a quarter of the way there already. I could be wrong, but you never know, 30 points may be enough that year st mirren are that bad.

I've had 45 points in my head as the target for 10th for the last few weeks. Most of those 'usual' sums you refer to were when there were 2 ugly sisters in the league but there's only been one this season and last and, which means the points are spread a bit more evenly. Been looking at 12-13 points per "round" then 6-9 after the split. If we can get 4 points from the next 4 games we'll be on course but the next 4 games aren't looking easy.

I've had 45 points in my head as the target for 10th for the last few weeks. Most of those 'usual' sums you refer to were when there were 2 ugly sisters in the league but there's only been one this season and last and, which means the points are spread a bit more evenly. Been looking at 12-13 points per "round" then 6-9 after the split. If we can get 4 points from the next 4 games we'll be on course but the next 4 games aren't looking easy.

Aye, but another unusual fact is that a team has started on minus 15 this season

• Like 1

True, but another unusual fact is that for the first time since the SPL expanded to 12 teams 11th isn't a guarantee of safety so we have to finish above a team that started on zero points to be 100% safe.

Last season Hibs finished in 7th place with 51 points and 37 points is the highest that bottom have achieved since the split was introduced. So even if Hearts go on a blinding season 38 should be enough to finish 10th.

Not advocating that players should be dropped immediately after having a poor game but If Craigen was dropped after having one poor game then why not Bannigan as that is two in a row for him. The players on the bench must think they are due a shot when others perform below par. Still not sure what our settled team should be though. Fraser looked excellent at the start. Certainly on Osbournes performance today he is due an extended run. Never been a fan of Elliot but have to admit he did look lively today and more effective than Lawless when he came on. Tough choices for Archie. I tell you what though, he might be a fat lazy sod but if Boyd had been playing for us alongside Dools today we would have walked it.

Fair result imo.

Got to take issue with this.

Apart from 10 minutes at the start of the 2nd half, we were by far the better side. Killie were hanging on for dear life in the 1st half and at the end of the 2nd.

If we keep the faith and keep playing our football, we will get the results our play deserves.

• Like 1

The win will come and so will the goals if we keep playing the way we did today. Although, their goal knocked us off our stride for a good fifteen minutes, which is something Archie needs to work on to get them to keep their shape when we lose a goal. With the cup game on Wednesday I think we have to look at Elliott starting with maybe places for Fraser and Forbes from the start. Although I would love to beat Dundee United preparing for next Saturday's game maybe should take precedent.

• Like 1

Gutted to lose two points today. Killie were minging in the first half and we should have been out of sight by half time. I'm amazed that they finished with 11 men on the pitch. For me, the foul for the penalty was a straight red card - straight leg, high challenge, studs showing. Boyd should have been off. If not a straight red for the "challenge" on ATS. then certainly 2 yellows for his constant wee pushes and nudges that Madden missed all day. Doolan worked his socks off and unlucky not to get a goal, Elliott played well when he came on and Osbourne did well. Disappointment for me was SOD, who I thought was off form today and has been last couple of games - maybe cos he knows there's no competition for him. Balls into the box today were mostly poor from ALL players and playing high balls up to Doolan does not work. First half we played some really nice stuff then seemed to panic when Killie started to get it together. But hey - still mid table, well clear from 11th place and a point gained over teams we need to be above come May. So not too despondent.

• Like 1

Gutted to lose two points today. Killie were minging in the first half and we should have been out of sight by half time. I'm amazed that they finished with 11 men on the pitch. For me, the foul for the penalty was a straight red card - straight leg, high challenge, studs showing. Boyd should have been off. If not a straight red for the "challenge" on ATS. then certainly 2 yellows for his constant wee pushes and nudges that Madden missed all day. Doolan worked his socks off and unlucky not to get a goal, Elliott played well when he came on and Osbourne did well. Disappointment for me was SOD, who I thought was off form today and has been last couple of games - maybe cos he knows there's no competition for him. Balls into the box today were mostly poor from ALL players and playing high balls up to Doolan does not work. First half we played some really nice stuff then seemed to panic when Killie started to get it together. But hey - still mid table, well clear from 11th place and a point gained over teams we need to be above come May. So not too despondent.

^^^ this

'Just in' from watching it all again on BBC Alba

We seemed even better the second time around

Edited by l'escardot
  • Like 1

If Doolan continues to play like he did today the goals will come. He ran Barr and Bouzid ragged in the first half. They just couldn't handle him. Forced Samson into a great save. He was a bit quieter in the second half but had one superb moment when he brought the ball out of the air, turned a couple of defenders and hit a shot that was destined for the goal but for a terrific block. I didn't get a good view of the disallowed goal but there didn't seem to be many protests so assume it was handball. He finished it well though.

Bannigan was a complete passenger for the majority of the game today much like Craigen was against Aberdeen saw him shirk out of a few challenges and in general just looked right of the pace someone commented on wee lawless's form the last few but banzo has been rotten since the scottish u21's got pumped off England.

I also thought Muirhead was shocking in the second half along with sod and if not for osbourne and Fox killie could have had a couple more. Doolan done more in ten mins than Baird has all season so far for me he should start all the time with Baird and Elliott the impact subbies.

I suppose at the end of the day we were kind of a spoiled bunch last year when our team was flying all season and dishing out gubbings every other week. For me we are doing ok with a very young squad who are on a massive learning curve.They are playing against better players and managers who do there homework they won't have great games every week but it is important that we support them I honestly think we will get stronger as the season goes on.

We should also enjoy this team while we have got it because it is inevitable that teams will come in for our better players eg Fox Lawless Bannigan Sinclair and such and I don't grudge any player who wants to make more money after all they are guys like us with bills and families I certainly wouldn't say no to a pay rise or better facilities in my workplace..

• Like 1

Stonewall penalty before the one we got. Equally emphatic red card that Fathunboyd didn't get. To be expected, watching the ref smile at FHB and fondle his bahooky before no doubt asking him out on a date before producing a derisory yellow. Fathunboyd almost post-coital with the colour of the card.

All in all, two points dropped. Main mitigating factor being the pleasing on the eye style of play we're sticking to. Ozzy deservedly MOTM, closely followed by the North Stand choir.

Of some concern was seeing the polis presence in the baby shed. Not read most above posts, so maybe explained earlier.

• Like 1

Was it me or was bannigan either not fit or just not bothering his shirt? I've never seen him less motivated and the amount of times he didn't even bother trying to shut them down was shocking. I assume he's not well or not fully fit as he's not that sort of player and usually gives 110 percent but toay I thought he should have been hooked first.

Thought osbourne was cumbersome first half but second he was superb.elliott could do with some game time to build up a rapport with sinky.

Doolan should watch kris Boyd as while he's obviously a total bam, he's a quality striker who kris could learn a lot from although not his idiotic side and I'm surprised he stayed on the pitch after that tackle.

Disappointing but least we didn't get beat which after ten mins if the second half looked likely.

Really don't get the criticism for Bannigan. He played well enough today, was only as below par as anyone else against Aberdeen, and was superb against St Mirren. And that's only looking at the last three games. He's a key player for us this year and his contribution to our fine start to the season shows as much.